PDA

View Full Version : Starting a build

Pages : 1 [2]

hereinaz
04-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Second on getting a donor in the family...

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Sorry but what's a TBR blind mag? Are you saying i should use a different action for my build?

hereinaz
04-04-2017, 10:45 AM
TBR stands for top bolt release. And yes, if you can swing it, it is always so much easier to start with an action and caliber that is closer to your end product.

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Ok. I found a 7mm08 factory barrel for cheap. I think I'm going to turn my 270 action into a 7mm08, then go buy a new savage magnum gun to start my magnum build. Just makes sense.

The 7mm08 barrel i find is used. What's the best way to check it out without getting to shoot it?

hereinaz
04-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Shooting is the best way you can determine if it will shoot.

You can look down the barrel and hold it towards a bright light to look at the rifling, and with a light you can look down into the chamber to see if it is smooth. You can also look at where the right lane ends in the chamber and throat area to see if it is sharp or if it has been worn out with shooting.

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Shooting is the best way you can determine if it will shoot.

You can look down the barrel and hold it towards a bright light to look at the rifling, and with a light you can look down into the chamber to see if it is smooth. You can also look at where the right lane ends in the chamber and throat area to see if it is sharp or if it has been worn out with shooting.
Ok thanks bud. Ill look it over good. I have 14 days to return it. Enough time to look at it not enough to install and shoot.

I figured this way id get my 7mm08 without spending a lot and i can invest into a long range magnum gun.

RC20
04-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Looking tells you nothing, if dirty it indicate a sloppy owner.

Boroscope tells you more how it was treated and if really shot out you can see it in the throat.

Otherwise, you just have to put it on a gun and shoot it.

You look at a Savage with a borscope and it looks pretty bad, they do shoot good, harder to clean up is the only downside.

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 10:59 AM
I would imagine it would have to have been shot 10s of thousands of times to shoot it out. Especially a 7mm08 with sub 3000 speeds. And a 7mm08 is a hunting caliber so hopefully not much barrel burning

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Explain the throat thing again please. Just so we are clear. The lands should be sharp?

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Looking tells you nothing, if dirty it indicate a sloppy owner.

Boroscope tells you more how it was treated and if really shot out you can see it in the throat.

Otherwise, you just have to put it on a gun and shoot it.

You look at a Savage with a borscope and it looks pretty bad, they do shoot good, harder to clean up is the only downside.
After crunching the numbers and factoring in buying go and no go gauges, barrel nut wrench and the barrel cost its a better deal to buy the er Shaw kit midway has in stock so i bought it. Now all i need is a action wrench.

Can i use my factory 270 magazine for 7mm08? It says standard on it. Doesn't really specify 270, 3006....etc

mousemotors
04-04-2017, 01:03 PM
After crunching the numbers and factoring in buying go and no go gauges, barrel nut wrench and the barrel cost its a better deal to buy the er Shaw kit midway has in stock so i bought it. Now all i need is a action wrench.

Can i use my factory 270 magazine for 7mm08? It says standard on it. Doesn't really specify 270, 3006....etc

Yes, you can use the 270 mag. I did that to 2 of my guns. Just remember .270 is a long action and a 7mm08 is a short action cartridge. Just line up all of your ammo as far back as you can get it in your long action mag so it will feed consistently.

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Yes, you can use the 270 mag. I did that to 2 of my guns. Just remember .270 is a long action and a 7mm08 is a short action cartridge. Just line up all of your ammo as far back as you can get it in your long action mag so it will feed consistently.
Great. Thanks!

If i did run across a 7mm08 mag should i buy it or would it even be worth it?

mousemotors
04-04-2017, 01:33 PM
It will be a waste of money for now because you cannot use it in your gun. Like I said before a 110 action is a long action, action. It uses long action mags whether they are swap-able mags or blind mags. A 7mm08 is a short action mag and will not work in a long action, action or stock. That being said I have seen long action mags made for short action cartridges like a 7mm08. These are rare and special. So if you find a regular short action mag more than likely it will not work in your gun. A .270 mag will work ok. On one gun, I am actually using AI 300 win mags on one of my guns for a 7mm08 cartridge. I just had to adjust the feed lips a little.

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Understood. Ill just leave it be. I'm glad i don't have to worry about oal when i load at least. My tikka mag limits me bad

mousemotors
04-04-2017, 01:44 PM
That was the main reason I started building and using long action, actions with short action cartridges. A lot easier setting up loads.

hereinaz
04-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Well, I think you can see bad abuse, rust, corrosion and serious throat erosion; and make a reasonable judgement that you don't want to venture further. But, it is barely better than nothing at all. Obviously a bore scope shows more.

Even then, an ugly barrel can shoot good and a pretty barrel shoot bad...

If it is a hunting barrel, very likely has lots of life unless it was abused.

RC20
04-05-2017, 03:51 PM
I would imagine it would have to have been shot 10s of thousands of times to shoot it out. Especially a 7mm08 with sub 3000 speeds. And a 7mm08 is a hunting caliber so hopefully not much barrel burning

The 308 and 30-06 which are considered good on the barrel burner scale (not the lowest but down there) will get 8,000 rounds or so before loosing accuracy.

A Bench Rest champ would probably see it start to go around 5. For most of us, 8 to 10 is a good ball park.

I don't know where the 7 08 comes in, that's a new one to me.

I suspect its a more mid or upper mid range due tot eh smaller diameter bullets and thick powder column.

My brother thinks I am a bit nuts about it, but I do shoot 100- 150 rounds a session, split between 3 guns now.

I probably shoot 40 -45 weekends a year. At an even split the 30-06 or the 308 (2) is going to be gone in 3 to 5 years.

Another reason I setup for my own barrels, I am going to shoot them out and the tools are a one time investment that gets scattered across as many changes as I do (and I am up around 6 or 8 swaps for various reasons)

So call it 8 and the cost per barrel change is $20.

lungpuncher1
04-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Finally got most of it put together and I'm already looking for my next build.

Ended up going 7mm08 for my first build. Er shaw barrel, egw 20mao rail, and I have a set of Warne rings and a vortex crossfire II 4-12x40 ao Cabelas had on sale on its way right now.

I worked on the trigger some and did the ballpoint pen spring mod on it and its awesome. Doesn't set the trigger off unless i slam it harder than i ever normally would. And I'm guessing its around 1.5-2lb.

Also painted the factory stock. Started with some textured paint underneath to give it grip then i did a manners style camo job on it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170410/6019b511c2507916a204d9ff5bd95a55.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170410/d57c38732d90acec5345b82a61a09bb7.jpg