PDA

View Full Version : Dewey or Tipton rod?

Pages : [1] 2

stash
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Ordered a Lucas bore guide and looking to get a cleaning rod. I see Dewey gets high marks and Tipton is another. Is one any better than the other or about the same?.. My Basspro does not carry Dewey, and I would have to mail order a Dewey, but they carry Tipton carbon fiber. Almost the same prices between the two. Again any pros or cons between the two?

I have read though some complain that the Dewey flakes exposing brass, and the Tipton breaks, so I guess it's a tossup :-)---BUT I rather like the carbon fiber because it has nothing to possibly scratch the barrel.

thanks!!

Stash

Nefarioud
08-23-2010, 05:40 PM
I use Tipton CF. No reason, just like the maroon :)

bythebook
08-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I have both and the only thing I don't like about the Dewy is I have to order brushes and everything for, nobody around here carries them. I think one is as good as the other.

Boston
08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
No wrong choice between the two. I have Dewey but could just as easily bought Tiptons. I have 2 bore guides from Lucas and they're top notch!

scratcherky
08-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Check out the cleaning rods at Pro Shot products.

Pete K.
08-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Stash,

Order it from where you can get your jags, brushes, patches, cleaners, waxes etc. Remember, for your 26" VLP you will need a 44" rod so you can have around 3" to 4" to unscrew the jag or tip out past the muzzle. With any carbon fiber rod you shouldn't overload the patches. If you can't get it started into the chamber without a fight, it is to tight and may jam in the barrel. I found that you want round 1" soft cotton patches for your .223 and just one at a time will do it.
I learned this the hard way when I cut 2" patches to smaller size for a "tight fit" and did get the rod stuck in the barrel and broke the carbon fiber rod. I hack sawed the jagged ends close and put the pieces back in the muzzle and drove it out with a soft hammer!! I'll never do that again and now I stick with .22 sized patches or 1" round!!

I like the Tipton with the ball bearing hand piece. I keep it in the card board tube for carry and storage.

Only order from where you can see what size the rod is to be sure. Some don't show you the length.
Click on the HTTP at the bottom of my post to see the Lucas bore guide, Tipton rod and some cleaning accessories.

Pete K.

JeepsAndGuns
08-23-2010, 08:30 PM
I have two tipton rods and love them so much I cant see myself finding one I like better.

rjtfroggy
08-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Stash I use the Dewey stuff but it is only 13 minutes from my driveway to theirs,so I just go pick up my stuff when I need it.

Cover Dog
08-23-2010, 09:37 PM
No help from me, I'm in the BoreTech camp.

tondar15
08-23-2010, 10:13 PM
those with a Tipton, check to see if it's truly straight. I have two and both have a slight bend to them.

Galveston22
08-23-2010, 10:17 PM
I have the Tipton CF rod but I had to get a 50" to clear the high comb of my B&C Medalist. Even at over 4' long it is stiff as can be.

ultramag44
08-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm happy w/ the Tipton.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageonBench4.jpg

Armed in Utah
08-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Tipton carbon fiber for me.......

Have 3 or so....even a spare...... ;D

Highly recomended by me..........

82boy
08-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I think Dewey makes a better rod.
There is a few things I don't car about with the Tipton rods. One is the knob of the back of the handle. If you push the brush by the back of the handle it will not spin. You have to cut it off. Two is the carbon fiber, I just don't care for the material in a cleaning rod. I have also see a few complaints on the Internet with people using Tipton rods and pulling off the end; After that the rod is junk.

I have many Pro-shot rods. They work well , the only complaint I have whit them is they use a aluminum pin to hold the handle together, and they bend easy, and the rod will not spin. But it is simple to fix the problem just drill out the pin, and insert a steel pin.

dmack
08-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm in the Tipton camp, along with Lucas bore guide.

hailstone
08-24-2010, 09:39 PM
When did Pro Shot start using the AL pin. All mine from the beginning (early 90's) to present use a rolled steel pin to retain the rod in the handle. I've had to mill a small area of the handle to drive out the roll pin. Are they the rods with the red anodized handles?

82boy
08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
When did Pro Shot start using the AL pin. All mine from the beginning (early 90's) to present use a rolled steel pin to retain the rod in the handle. I've had to mill a small area of the handle to drive out the roll pin. Are they the rods with the red anodized handles?

Yup red handels. The roll pin is soft and bends.

stash
08-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Thanks to all for the information and help.

stash

08-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I've just gotten into this so am acquiring equipment myself. So far I've ordered Lucas bore guides for both rifles (.223 & 6mmBR) and received them. They are great! I've also ordered Dewey rods. I got a coated rod and a SS rod for each caliber.

One thing that I read in this thread is a comment regarding jags and brushes. I've ordered Dewey jags and nylon brushes but have also ordered some of the Bore Tech jags and nylon brushes. I like the looks of their "Proof Positive" products. I was assuming they will fit the Dewey rods but maybe not? Should be some kind of adaptor that would do the trick - but the adaptor would be brass so that's defeating the purpose of the "Proof Positive" jags. Hummmmmm ..... not sure about that yet. Might have to machine myself a couple of SS adaptors.

gotcha
08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Stash; have three Deweys' and a newly acquired Tipton. TONDAR15 peeked my curiosity and I checked all 4 rods for warpage in V-blocks. The Tipton showed a noticeable bow. The Deweys' (coated) were all extremely straight. One of them is about thirty yrs. old. I had noticed the Tipton showed signs of abrasion along its length and chalked it up to the carbon fiber material. Not so. The heaviest abrasion was at the apex of the warp. Imagine what the abrasion could be doing to a new high$ Bbl. If only Dewey would improve its handle bearings. All three of mine are too tight to allow the patch or brush to follow the lands easily.( the Tipton handle bearings work great ) This is not an imperical study but I think I'll be lookin' @ other coated rods soon. The diameters on both rods ran from .206" to .210" Maybe you could get the Mfgs. to state their guarantee on straightness and check them before you put them through the bore. If nothing else, Midway offers a no hassle return policy.