PDA

View Full Version : Last of the 12FV?

Pages : [1] 2 3

rckendall
03-13-2017, 02:08 PM
I ordered a 12FV last week and the Cabelas site said it would be 2-3 weeks for delivery. I am planning on putting it in a Boyd's stock probably, and I thought I might change it over to a detachable magazine or a hinged floor plate. I called Savage customer service this morning to ask about on line ordering of parts etc and was told that that site was down.

I mentioned that that I was considering making this change to the rifle and she asked for the serial number, as usual. I told her that it was on order (back ordered) from Cabelas, and she stated that they weren't going to be made any more. I replied that it was conflicting that Cabelas was still taking orders for it. She put me on hold for a couple minutes and when she returned she suggested that I wait until I have the rifle in my hands before ordering anything because only 12FCVs were going to be made and I might wind up with a rifle that has a detachable magazine!

This really opens a can of worms. Will the price go up? Will a new price be introduced only to new orders? Should I order another one now?

Does anyone have any insight on this situation?

Thanks
Richard

SageRat Shooter
03-13-2017, 02:52 PM
The price will and usually always goes up when something is changed. and not always an upgrade when the change happens. I paid $300 for my left handed axis 4 years ago, and it came with the Accustock. Now it doesn't come with the accustock anymore. and it's $329.00 these days.

NicfromAlabama
03-13-2017, 06:57 PM
I bought a 12FV 22-250 at a great price during the recent sale. I figured if they go on sale again, I would buy another one in .308 since I have acquired some more of the cheap gift cards sold on eBay, which could save me another $50-$70. I was actually thinking about trying a barrel change on the second one, as I have never done that before. I was thinking to myself the other day, that it wouldn't surprise me if that model is discontinued before I have that opportunity, and now I see this thread. I am not too concerned about a detachable magazine.

I think the biggest issue is whether they change over from a top bolt release to a bottom bolt release. One of the main reasons for buying this rifle is for the top bolt release. A top bolt release makes it much easier for an aftermarket trigger and stock. I don't even think the Rifle Basix SAV-2 will work on a bottom bolt release model. If I received a bottom bolt release model when I go to pick it up, I will refuse the rifle.

I don't know if I would trust what you were told. I so often read stuff like that, and the representative seems to be wrong more often than right. I definitely hope she is wrong.

wfournier
03-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Interesting, I'm curious to see what happens, I have one in 308 on back order. The site has been showing the back order time getting shorter (3-4 weeks at first now 1-2 weeks), but I did just notice that the ship date for all the other models has gone away (although they do still allow you to order them).

jmccollumjr
03-13-2017, 10:46 PM
I have a 308 back ordered also
First 2 weeks it kept showing limited availability i live chatted twice to be told they don't have an have an expected ship date
Ship date on new orders appears to change on Saturday's

NicfromAlabama
03-15-2017, 07:59 AM
I received an email from Cabela's. I was thinking at first it was my notice that the rifle was ready for pick-up. I am fine with waiting, I just hope it is not a sign of something else.

Cabela's Retail Inc.

World's Foremost Outfitter

One Cabela Drive, Sidney, NE 69160

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent order. We are very sorry to inform you that we are

unable to immediately fill your entire order and the merchandise listed below

has been placed on backorder. Order recipient is HUNTSVILLE AL RETAIL.

29-2379 SAVAGE 12FV VARMINT RIFLE MODEL 12FV 22-250REM

Backorder

If you wish for the item(s) to remain on backorder, you do not need to contact

us. Should you prefer not to wait, please contact our toll-free order desk at

1-800-237-4444 or e-mail us at <customer.service@cabelas.com> to cancel the

backorder. For credit card orders, charges are not made until the item(s) are

shipped.

We will do everything we can to get your order to you as quickly as possible.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Cabela's Retail Inc. - Customer Relations

jmccollumjr
03-15-2017, 09:09 AM
When did you place your order?

I ordered 02/17/17

I received an email from Cabela's. I was thinking at first it was my notice that the rifle was ready for pick-up. I am fine with waiting, I just hope it is not a sign of something else.

Cabela's Retail Inc.

World's Foremost Outfitter

One Cabela Drive, Sidney, NE 69160

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent order. We are very sorry to inform you that we are

unable to immediately fill your entire order and the merchandise listed below

has been placed on backorder. Order recipient is HUNTSVILLE AL RETAIL.

29-2379 SAVAGE 12FV VARMINT RIFLE MODEL 12FV 22-250REM

Backorder

If you wish for the item(s) to remain on backorder, you do not need to contact

us. Should you prefer not to wait, please contact our toll-free order desk at

1-800-237-4444 or e-mail us at <customer.service@cabelas.com> to cancel the

backorder. For credit card orders, charges are not made until the item(s) are

shipped.

We will do everything we can to get your order to you as quickly as possible.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Cabela's Retail Inc. - Customer Relations

rckendall
03-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Nic,
Sorry about the additional wait for your rifle. I just ordered mine, in 223, last week and the Cabelas website now lists the shipping time as 1-2 weeks for 223 and 308, instead of 2-3 when I placed the order. I also noted that 22-250 and 204 Ruger now don't list an estimated ship date at all.

It it will be interesting to see what comes out of all this in the end. I do think I would purchase another one if they were on sale, etc, etc.

Richard

NicfromAlabama
03-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Hey,

I have not been able to reply back until now. JM, my order was placed on 02/16/2017......a day before you. I know I saw a 5-8 week estimate on the 22-250 at one point after I ordered. Now it only states backorderable. I am fine with waiting, as I really don't have the time right now to shoot it. I just did not want to miss the sale. Richard, I would certainly buy another if they went on sale for the same price. I would like to rebarrel one at some point, and that would be a good rifle to use.

Nic

rckendall
03-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Nic,
Rebarrelling was what I had in mind for the second one also, if that ever comes together. I wanted the 223 for an inexpensive rifle that I can shoot cheaply too. I have a bunch of 223 reloading components and I'm already setup for it, so it was a natural. I'm thinking the next one would be a 308 and convert it to 6.5 Creedmoor.

Richard

NicfromAlabama
03-15-2017, 07:46 PM
My initial plan was to take the 22-50 I am currently waiting on and use it in a nicer HS Precision stock that I have in the closet. The action/barrel that was in the HS stock is now in a chassis, and I am not doing anything with the HS stock. After some thinking, I decided I would leave the 22-250 in the plastic stock. I wanted to buy a second 12FV, rebarrel with a bull barrel and use the HS stock for it since I believe it does accommodate bull barrel diameters. I have been thinking .308 or Creedmoor. The Creedmooor is the popular round right now, but I might just stick with .308. Like you, I have all the components and a ton of 30 caliber bullets. I really don't want to stock up for another cartridge. But, like my second rifle plan, that may change as well.

Nic

jmccollumjr
03-16-2017, 11:11 AM
I like how they wait just shy of 4 weeks to send an email stating it is backordered...

i was hoping to have it by beginning of last week of march but looking like end of march if i'm lucky :(

sprigfan
03-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone,

New member here. My backordered 12FV will be my first Savage

I called Cabela's on Monday to change my order from .308 to .223. It will be a range only rifle for me, so I decided to save some money on ammo.

Anyway, the representative I spoke with said they are expecting them to arrive on the 25th. I don't know if that's all calibers, or just the .308's. I assume they will then be shipped to your respective stores. I'm hoping first week of April...

NicfromAlabama
03-16-2017, 01:05 PM
Sprigfan,

Welcome. Thanks for the update. I figured Cabela's submitted a huge order to Savage after the sale. We just have to wait for all that to be sorted out, and that sounds like the case after hearing of your experience. I also think that is one reason the Savage representative the OP talked to was not quite familiar with what was going on, especially since the 12FV is a Cabela's exclusive.

jmccollumjr
03-16-2017, 02:10 PM
I'm ok with waiting was just hoping it would be about a week sooner than what it's looking like

I have EGW scope base, Burris Signature Zee rings and for the time being topping it with a Cabela's Alpha Scope

NicfromAlabama
03-16-2017, 02:27 PM
I'm ok with waiting was just hoping it would be about a week sooner than what it's looking like

I have EGW scope base, Burris Signature Zee rings and for the time being topping it with a Cabela's Alpha Scope

Oh yeah, I know exactly how you feel, especially when you are really wanting to use what you bought. Fortunately for me, in this case, I am not prepared right now to use the rifle. With that being said, I am on month 8 waiting on approval for my suppressor, with no end in sight. Now THAT has me irritated.

rckendall
03-16-2017, 05:19 PM
You are fortunate that you can at least legally own one. Here in the communist state of Kalifornia, they are illegal!

it is kind of interesting that in Europe, it is considered rude, not to use a silencer. We want silencers on cars, trucks, lawn mowers and motorcycles, why not guns? I guess that is another thread.

I just checked online, and Cabelas is now taking orders (not back orders) for the 223, which according to the norm, would ship,in 5-8 days. We will see.

Richard

jmccollumjr
03-16-2017, 06:21 PM
You are fortunate that you can at least legally own one. Here in the communist state of Kalifornia, they are illegal!

it is kind of interesting that in Europe, it is considered rude, not to use a silencer. We want silencers on cars, trucks, lawn mowers and motorcycles, why not guns? I guess that is another thread.

I just checked online, and Cabelas is now taking orders (not back orders) for the 223, which according to the norm, would ship,in 5-8 days. We will see.

Richard

Their system is quirky at best.... i've watched it for the last 4 weeks i've seen 308 show limited availability over a dozen times

NicfromAlabama
03-17-2017, 01:12 AM
Not that it means anything, for my store, I now notice the .308 and 22-250 rifle on their site state backorderable and a ESTIMATED 1-2 week ship time. The .223 says limited stock and SHIPS in 5-8 days. And, of course, the .204 is just backorderable with no ship times.

sprigfan
03-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Cabela's charged my credit card yesterday, which is supposed to mean the rifle has shipped. No update to my order status yet, however.