PDA

View Full Version : Best Action for new Build?

Pages : [1] 2

R_Swanson
02-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a Savage short action to put into a chassis for a new build. Im pretty new to this but I built a heavy barrel target/varmint/SPR AR that groups fantastic and I'm having a lot of fun shooting it on paper and steel and I want to build something to stretch distances with. I am a DIY'er by nature so I thought a Savage was a great platform to build from.

I've been researching this but can't find a straight answer. Are any of the short actions inherently "better" or more sought after than another? I plan on using an XLR chassis that pretty much accepts any of them, so that should not be a big factor.

Sorry for the noob question. Any additional advice you have is appreciated as well!

hereinaz
02-15-2017, 06:07 PM
A Stealth action is blueprinted at the factory and comes with a nice MDT chassis. If I were starting over, I would do that for one of my guns...

I am not sure is there is a "better" model unless it is treated differently during production. What I know is that many guys get a better recoil lug, barrel nut, bolt head, and maybe a bolt upgrade. That maximizes the floating bolt head design.

Robinhood
02-15-2017, 07:32 PM
I wish they had used the BA or LRP action.

R_Swanson
02-15-2017, 09:36 PM
A Stealth action is blueprinted at the factory and comes with a nice MDT chassis. If I were starting over, I would do that for one of my guns...

I am not sure is there is a "better" model unless it is treated differently during production. What I know is that many guys get a better recoil lug, barrel nut, bolt head, and maybe a bolt upgrade. That maximizes the floating bolt head design.

I wish they had used the BA or LRPV action.
Thanks guys. Maybe I miss stated my question. I am looking for a blank action to put into a build, either buying it on its own or on a gun that I can then part out the rest of it.

Other than the single shot target actions, are they all pretty much the same? I understand that there is center vs staggered feed and other differences... Are any iterations of them particularly sought after or thought of as "better"?

If not, I was thinking of starting with a Savage Stevens 200, as they are so cheap.

110fp
02-15-2017, 09:45 PM
all the actions are the same the number designates the finish.
3# actions are long 2# actions are short
although there are some short action rounds that are built on a
long action and long ago they only made long actions

Good luck

hereinaz
02-15-2017, 09:53 PM
A Cabela's special FV is a cheap one if you go new. You can sell the barrel.

Join the forum as a paid member and you will find actions for sale.

cowtownup
02-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Savage Model 12FV from Cabelas...

Robinhood
02-15-2017, 10:05 PM
all the actions are the same the number designates the finish.
3# actions are long 2# actions are short
although there are some short action rounds that are built on a
long action and long ago they only made long actions

Good luck

Partially true. the LRP and BA actions were/are repeater target actions( meaning they have a bottom loading port. In my opinion the most desirable action for all but single round competition.

The 4,4 centerfeed is currently the most desirable for repeater action.

FW Conch
02-16-2017, 12:14 AM
Starting with a Stevens 200 for a donor is an excellent choice.

4.4" action screw spacing, center feed, probably has the most aftermarket support...stocks and such.

As for Me, I would not be caught dead with a bottom bolt release:-((. If I had to start a new build from a new rifle, it would have to be a Hog Hunter or any other Savage with a top bolt release.

R_Swanson
02-16-2017, 01:46 AM
Thank you all, this info is helpful.

That FV seems like a deal... Pretty close to what I see Stevens sell for.

Is that a top bolt release?

FW Conch
02-16-2017, 08:46 AM
According to the picture, yes it is. Perhaps someone else can confirm. For a new Savage, that is an excellent buy, and also a great platform to build from. You might even want to just shoot that puppy for a while before You mess with it? ;-))

R_Swanson
02-16-2017, 11:26 AM
According to the picture, yes it is. Perhaps someone else can confirm. For a new Savage, that is an excellent buy, and also a great platform to build from. You might even want to just shoot that puppy for a while before You mess with it? ;-))
Thanks! Form what I can tell (from Googling) it is as well.

I assume the 308 barrel will be easier to sell when I eventually change calibers?

Newtosavage
02-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks! Form what I can tell (from Googling) it is as well.

I assume the 308 barrel will be easier to sell when I eventually change calibers?

That's what I was planning to do, but I'd bet the .223 barrel would sell too.

6.5savageguy
02-16-2017, 12:04 PM
I'd go 12 FV for the top bolt release and small shank action. There are tons of .308 barrels out there so I'm not sure what caliber to tell you in terms of barrel resale. I didn't see what you're planning to re barrel to but if you buy a .223 rifle you'll need to swap to a .223 or .204 otherwise you'll be doing bolt head, baffle & mag swaps. Stay with the same bolt head & magazine family you plan to re barrel too.

I would say a 22-250 or .243 barrel may sell easier/quicker than a .308 as they tend to be barrel burners and popular with the prarie dog /varmint crowd but you never really know.

I see people recommending the Stealth rifles for these barrel swaps for the blueprinted action and chassis. Both strong reasons, the one thing to remember there is the stealth is large shank barrel and action so must be re barreled with a large shank barrel. I know a guy (me) who missed this and was bought a .308 Stealth to specifically screw a small shank 6x47 Lapua barrel onto. Now I've got a .308 stealth that I rarely shoot because I'm not really a .308 fan. Eventually I'll buy a large shank barrel in a 6 or 6.5 caliber so its not a huge problem.

The 12 FV action into a Choate stock with a custom barrel makes for an extremely nice sub $1,000 rifle, possibly sub $800 after selling the 12 barrel.

hereinaz
02-16-2017, 12:26 PM
The FV I got was top bolt release. I got a .308 and sold that barrel on the forum in a day.

What is funny, is that after the merry go round that is my savage obsession, the action ended up with a .223 model 12 varmint barrel, after the requisite bolt change. Could have just started with it, but there would be no fun in that.

I like Boyds in the colored laminate, not the black cause it is plywood, not resin laminate.

R_Swanson
02-16-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'd go 12 FV for the top bolt release and small shank action. There are tons of .308 barrels out there so I'm not sure what caliber to tell you in terms of barrel resale. I didn't see what you're planning to re barrel to but if you buy a .223 rifle you'll need to swap to a .223 or .204 otherwise you'll be doing bolt head, baffle & mag swaps. Stay with the same bolt head & magazine family you plan to re barrel too.

I would say a 22-250 or .243 barrel may sell easier/quicker than a .308 as they tend to be barrel burners and popular with the prarie dog /varmint crowd but you never really know.

I see people recommending the Stealth rifles for these barrel swaps for the blueprinted action and chassis. Both strong reasons, the one thing to remember there is the stealth is large shank barrel and action so must be re barreled with a large shank barrel. I know a guy (me) who missed this and was bought a .308 Stealth to specifically screw a small shank 6x47 Lapua barrel onto. Now I've got a .308 stealth that I rarely shoot because I'm not really a .308 fan. Eventually I'll buy a large shank barrel in a 6 or 6.5 caliber so its not a huge problem.

The 12 FV action into a Choate stock with a custom barrel makes for an extremely nice sub $1,000 rifle, possibly sub $800 after selling the 12 barrel.

I plan on rebarreling eventually to a 6.5 creedmoor. I have read about all the advantages to the other 6.5 cartridges as well as the 6mm's which seem to be rising in popularity pretty fast, but I do not reload and the popularity of the creedmoor makes it so easy to find a round the gun will like and it should be cheaper to shoot. Of course, if I start reloading, all bets are off, haha. Therefore any .470 bolt face will be fine.

I wouldnt mind building this slowly, it would lighten the hit on the wallet and then I can pick parts I like as I go. I have a 308 tikka hunting rifle, so that would make things easier in some ways and for long range stuff the 30 cal must be a lot better than the 22 cal until I swap barrels. The 22-250 is intriguing because it would be fun to shoot and lighter recoil until I buy a barrel, but my AR I built that has gotten me into this shouldnt lose all that much to the 22-250 because I can get 77 grain match ammo so easily for it and the gun loves 69 gr or heavier bullets, so at distance it will buck the wind so much better than any factory ammo I have seen for the 22-250. They dont offer a 243 that I see, or I would be all over that.

Maybe I am typing just to convince myself, haha, but it seems like the 308 is probably a better option at this point. Any opinions based on my situation?

Oh, regarding the Stealth. Those do seem like good reasons. I am just not sure if that would be a good idea if I want to use a different chassis anyway. I definitely want an XLR over the MDT. The fact it comes in 6.5 creedmoor already and the blueprinted action is intriguing though.

R_Swanson
02-16-2017, 01:55 PM
The FV I got was top bolt release. I got a .308 and sold that barrel on the forum in a day.

What is funny, is that after the merry go round that is my savage obsession, the action ended up with a .223 model 12 varmint barrel, after the requisite bolt change. Could have just started with it, but there would be no fun in that.

I like Boyds in the colored laminate, not the black cause it is plywood, not resin laminate.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I am in AZ too, btw.

hereinaz
02-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Cabelas has the 12 FV for 319 and there is a code to get 20 bucks off!!! Order it online and pick it up. 300 bucks for a full gun...

hereinaz
02-16-2017, 08:17 PM
The code is spring2017, i think

RC20
02-16-2017, 08:36 PM

Yes it is, I have one, also segmented nut. Varmint acu trigger so it adjust down to 1.5 lbs without a spring change.