PDA

View Full Version : Best Action for new Build?

Pages : 1 [2]

6.5savageguy
02-16-2017, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone.

I plan on rebarreling eventually to a 6.5 creedmoor. I have read about all the advantages to the other 6.5 cartridges as well as the 6mm's which seem to be rising in popularity pretty fast, but I do not reload and the popularity of the creedmoor makes it so easy to find a round the gun will like and it should be cheaper to shoot. Of course, if I start reloading, all bets are off, haha. Therefore any .470 bolt face will be fine.

I wouldnt mind building this slowly, it would lighten the hit on the wallet and then I can pick parts I like as I go. I have a 308 tikka hunting rifle, so that would make things easier in some ways and for long range stuff the 30 cal must be a lot better than the 22 cal until I swap barrels. The 22-250 is intriguing because it would be fun to shoot and lighter recoil until I buy a barrel, but my AR I built that has gotten me into this shouldnt lose all that much to the 22-250 because I can get 77 grain match ammo so easily for it and the gun loves 69 gr or heavier bullets, so at distance it will buck the wind so much better than any factory ammo I have seen for the 22-250. They dont offer a 243 that I see, or I would be all over that.

Maybe I am typing just to convince myself, haha, but it seems like the 308 is probably a better option at this point. Any opinions based on my situation?

Oh, regarding the Stealth. Those do seem like good reasons. I am just not sure if that would be a good idea if I want to use a different chassis anyway. I definitely want an XLR over the MDT. The fact it comes in 6.5 creedmoor already and the blueprinted action is intriguing though.

Exellent caliber choice in the 6.5 Creedmoor especially if you're not reloading. In light of that and the fact you want a chassis rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor I would get a Stealth in that caliber and start enjoying the lighter recoil and better ballistics right away. I bet you could sell the Creed barrel as easy as the .308 barrel or just shoot it till it's used up then rebarrel.

The 12 FV stock has very little resale value where the Stealth chassis would have a very good resale value to someone wanting to convert a stocked rifle to a chassis if you were to sell it to fund a different chassis.

Leaving you with the blueprinted savage action as a foundation. The large shank is "not" a problem and would probably be a + if you later decided to rebarrel to a short action magnum caliber.

I bet in the end of a part out to get what you want scenario you would have little or no more in a Stealth based semi custom and have a better action to show for it.

R_Swanson
02-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Cabelas has the 12 FV for 319 and there is a code to get 20 bucks off!!! Order it online and pick it up. 300 bucks for a full gun...

Ended up buying one, I couldnt pass up the deal. I didnt see that code (they only seemed to have free shipping options), but I still very pleased!

Yes it is, I have one, also segmented nut. Varmint acu trigger so it adjust down to 1.5 lbs without a spring change.

Awesome, thanks for confirming.

Exellent caliber choice in the 6.5 Creedmoor especially if you're not reloading. In light of that and the fact you want a chassis rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor I would get a Stealth in that caliber and start enjoying the lighter recoil and better ballistics right away. I bet you could sell the Creed barrel as easy as the .308 barrel or just shoot it till it's used up then rebarrel.

The 12 FV stock has very little resale value where the Stealth chassis would have a very good resale value to someone wanting to convert a stocked rifle to a chassis if you were to sell it to fund a different chassis.

Leaving you with the blueprinted savage action as a foundation. The large shank is "not" a problem and would probably be a + if you later decided to rebarrel to a short action magnum caliber.

I bet in the end of a part out to get what you want scenario you would have little or no more in a Stealth based semi custom and have a better action to show for it.
Yeah, that would have been a good plan, esp after looking at the prices of the Stealth, I thought they were selling for closer to MSRP. I figured I could shoot the 308 for a little while as I built up the gun, and then sell it fairly easily. It was too good a deal to pass up, haha. I think in the end I will probably be pretty close to the same price, if not cheaper with the FV build... of course sans a blueprinted action. With how accurate it seems people make these guns with just a decent stock, I guess I am betting on the hope that wont matter.

Thanks for the help everyone.