PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 FV in .308 - part it or shoot it?

Pages : [1] 2

Newtosavage
02-13-2017, 10:39 AM
In a moment of weakness, I caved and ordered a Savage 12 FV (.308) from Cabelas. $319 on clearance was just too good to pass up.

My main reason was that I really want an action to build / swap barrels with, and every clean used rifle I could find was going for more than that. I don't really need/want the .308 barrel, but of course it will be tempting to shoot it once it arrives. My max range at my club is 300 yards, and I don't really consider that much of a test for a .308 with a 26" bull barrel. Would probably get boring after a trip or two if that gun shoots like they say it will.

My plans are to pull that barrel and stock, and trade them for a 7mm-08 or maybe 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and sporter stock.

Any suggestions? Should I pull it before I shoot it so it retains a little more value?

Thanks.

foxx
02-13-2017, 11:31 AM
You did good. No better or cheaper way to go. Deal of the century, really.

Pull the barrel and sell it before shooting it. Should get at least $100 for it. If you want to sell it here, you must be a paid member (about $15) and list it in the classifieds. Soliciting outside the classifieds is against forum rules.

You really should edit your first post so as to not ask for" interest" or whatever.

Newtosavage
02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
You did good. No better or cheaper way to go. Deal of the century, really.

Pull the barrel and sell it before shooting it. Should get at least $100 for it. If you want to sell it here, you must be a paid member (about $15) and list it in the classifieds. Soliciting outside the classifieds is against forum rules.

You really should edit your first post so as to not ask for" interest" or whatever.

Ok. thanks for the information. I didn't realize you had to be a paid member, but I will do that and then offer the barrel up for sale or trade.

And I agree. At that price I should probably buy 2 or 3. LOL

I realize at the end of all my playing around I probably won't be ahead much on $ over just buying a model 10 in 7-08 or 6.5CM, but it's the experience of building on that action that I really wanted. Seemed like the cheapest way to get it.

RC20
02-13-2017, 12:09 PM
First its the same boat I found myself in though you got a better deal! Congratulations.

Not sure I got it right, but the barrel that came on the 12FV is not a bull, its what Savage calls a Varmint Contour which to everyone else would be a Heavy Barrel but not a Bull barrel.

By the time you pay shipping and FFL to get one out of area, as well as the higher prices everyone lists now, its a far better deal (and you get the acu trigger to 2.5 lbs and at least for me that is close to perfect). Segmented nut, side bolt release, its an outstanding deal.

Some time ago my brother was buying 1903 A3 actions to build a rifle on (he was not a Savage nut at the time, I am brining him along though!)

I kept telling him not to shoot it, he could not help himself, he would shoot it, it would be pretty accurate and he then doesn't want to have it taken apart (those were actions that had been drilled and tapped so no historic value) . He got 3 before he finally gave up and did the last one.

So, if you don't want to know, don't shoot it!

That said, mine was turned into a donner but I kept the barrel and its now on my swing/play rifle that I plan on swapping barrels around on for fun.
One is a 270 Pencil that I want to test to see if I can shoot.
Another one is my long term 7.5 Swiss project. I don't plan on shooting tons of it, but its one that intrigues me (and works out with 308 caliber)

What I did was get a good stock for it (Thumbhole target). Even before that the barrel was shooting sub 3/4 MOA and with dialed in loads more like sub 5/8.
That is a confirmation that the Savage barresl are good shooters no matter how rough they are inside.

300 yews is really fine, its not the range it is the MOA. I shoot 100 because that's close to all we have (summer I do have a 300 yds range I am going to try).

Its below the capably of a 308, but past that you start to get into wind dopping and lots of drop and that's kind of another ball game.

I am interesting in just pure accuracy so 100 to 300 works fine.

I think I am on hold at 3, two fixed in Bull barrels at 30-06 and 308 and then the play gun. Not sure what profile the 7.5 is going to come in. Probably a bull as it is pure bench rest shooting.

Newtosavage
02-13-2017, 02:10 PM
Yea, that was another thought - get a 7mm-08 or 6.5CM barrel, but keep the .308 for a swap-barrel setup, just in case I have a longer range someday... But I'm not the type to keep things around "just in case." I'd actually prefer that someone who really wants a .308 range gun, get the brand new barrel and use it.

And believe me, I love, love, love my local 300 yard range. Covered concrete benches and most days I'm the only one there. Don't get much better than that. ;)

RC20
02-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Lucky guy. AK may be bigger, but its amazing how little stuff we have and its not much for wide open spaces!

Newtosavage
02-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Lucky guy. AK may be bigger, but its amazing how little stuff we have and its not much for wide open spaces!

My range is in a wooded area, so the 300 yards is in almost a "wind tunnel" situation. Very good for testing accuracy.

Anyone else think about buying a 12FV for parts?

ottawacats
02-13-2017, 05:13 PM
wish that barrel could be shipped to Canada but it cant be :(

Newtosavage
02-13-2017, 05:29 PM
wish that barrel could be shipped to Canada but it cant be :( If you have the $, you might be able to order a 12FV to ship to your Canadian Cabelas.

racer55
02-13-2017, 06:04 PM
wish that barrel could be shipped to Canada but it cant be :(
What makes you think you can't import a barrel?
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm

Getting Folks to fill out the export paperwork is the tough part.

ottawacats
02-14-2017, 05:00 PM
What makes you think you can't import a barrel?
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm

Getting Folks to fill out the export paperwork is the tough part.

Its not that paper work that is the issue, the ITAR states that any firearm/part cant leave the USA unless the exporter has the legal documents. Most personal sales don't and the fees that go with it don't make it worth the hassle. Our Canadian customs don't mind, its the USA customs that will have large issues with it.

racer55
02-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Its not that paper work that is the issue, the ITAR states that any firearm/part cant leave the USA unless the exporter has the legal documents. Most personal sales don't and the fees that go with it don't make it worth the hassle. Our Canadian customs don't mind, its the USA customs that will have large issues with it.
Fees on the US side are an aspect I have no knowledge of,but paperwork and legal documents to me mean the same thing.

RC20
02-14-2017, 06:35 PM
My range is in a wooded area, so the 300 yards is in almost a "wind tunnel" situation. Very good for testing accuracy.

Anyone else think about buying a 12FV for parts?

What, woods in Texas? No way. It all flat and wide open. You must be in another state!

ottawacats
02-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Here is a clip I saw on another forum
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16711663_10206529370551766_312108330278972156_n.jp g?oh=51ee07d2042d5835ab1afa98ce95ad79&oe=59056999

Newtosavage
02-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Wow. I had no idea a thread about parting out a 12FV would end up in cyber-court over import laws... Bwhahaha.

Well, I've made my decision and it's not option 1 or 2.

Tonight I came across a rifle I felt I just had to own, and regardless of what a ridiculous deal that 12FV is right now (and it is...), I'm going to cancel that order.

So the good news is there will be one more obscenely cheap 12FV available at Cabelas tomorrow. :D

Thanks for the great discussion guys.

racer55
02-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Here is a clip I saw on another forum
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16711663_10206529370551766_312108330278972156_n.jp g?oh=51ee07d2042d5835ab1afa98ce95ad79&oe=59056999
I believe you are mistaking the double S symbol with a dollar sign when it is more akin to article,chapter or verse of the document being spoken of.

racer55
02-15-2017, 08:14 AM
Wow. I had no idea a thread about parting out a 12FV would end up in cyber-court over import laws... Bwhahaha.

Well, I've made my decision and it's not option 1 or 2.

Tonight I came across a rifle I felt I just had to own, and regardless of what a ridiculous deal that 12FV is right now (and it is...), I'm going to cancel that order.

So the good news is there will be one more obscenely cheap 12FV available at Cabelas tomorrow. :D

Thanks for the great discussion guys.
No interest in it being cyber court,just trying to make sure that the correct information is available-and I certainly don't have it all by any means.
Others who are in the know are welcome to correct anything that is posted as inaccurate.

Newtosavage
02-15-2017, 08:26 AM
This is reminding me of a meme...

https://xkcd.com/386/ Image URL (for hotlinking/embedding): https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

Luckyshot
02-15-2017, 10:03 AM
What did you end up getting?

Newtosavage
02-15-2017, 02:34 PM
What did you end up getting? While browsing GunBroker last night (dangerous practice, I know), I came across a near identical twin to my 7x57 stainless Ruger, in .280 Remington with a 22" barrel. Same stock, same action as my 7x57 RSI (I put the original walnut RSI full length stock in storage, and have that action in a synthetic Ruger stock for hunting).

I couldn't lay off it. I'm a sucker for Ruger 77's in the smooth stainless finish. Most of the newer stainless Rugers have that matte finish that I don't find attractive at all. So this will be the "big brother" to my 7x57 and I can use the same powders and even the same bullets in it if I want. I'll probably run 154 Interlocks through both of them, with the .280 pushing them 200-250 fps. faster.

Now if I just had a Ruger 77 stainless in 7.62x39, I'd have the three-rifle combo of my dreams. :D Gonna have to change my handle to 77Stainless or something now. LOL