PDA

View Full Version : newb question

Pages : [1] 2

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Hello savage shooters:

I don't reload, I shoot factory remanufactured (once fired) ammo. Yesterday at the range I had a round that was really hard to get it to close the bolt, but i managed to close the bolt. After firing that round, I had to use a rubber mallet to tap the bolt back. would this cause any harm to the extractor or the bolt? this is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened and so far I haven't had any problems but it's starting to worry me. thanks for your input. louis.

dfrosch
02-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Shooting a military caliber, 7.62 or 5.56?

It may not be a big deal, but you should probably look at your primers to be sure. If they're pierced or if the radius around the edge is flat, you might want to find a different load.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 02:13 PM
First off, As long as you're using a cleaning rod to push the bolt back (fed from muzzle end) you shouldn't have any damage to the extractor... If you keep using the mallet, you will eventually have to replace the extractor.

there are a couple things you may have going on:

first, your chamber may have some crap in it that needs to be cleaned out....
Second, if the round was too long for your chamber, then could cause the sticking issue. (the tolerance for factory ammo isn't the highest QC....)

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Shooting Ultramax 308 ammo. The primers look good.

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Haven't tried using a cleaning rod because of the resistance of the bolt being so tight. Didn't even think about it. I'll keep that in mind for the next time it happens. Thanks.

olddav
02-06-2017, 02:24 PM
I haven't had any problems but it's starting to worry me. thanks for your input. louis.

Its just my opinion, but you are having problems, you just haven't broken anything yet. If you are having trouble closing the bolt then you are forcing something somewhere and that could lead to high preasures thus causing the bolt to stick. If I experienced the problem you are describing, I would stop shooting any of the remaining rounds from that manufacturer. Something not right!

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Thanks olddav, the bolt is sticking *before* the round is fired. That is, if I chamber the round where the bolt is hard to close and then don't pull the trigger but instead try to pull the round back out, the bolt still sticks.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 02:36 PM
You may have gotten a bad batch of Brass, that hadn't been full length resized before they got reloaded (you said they were once fired correct?) That's the other thing I can think of right off the top of my head.

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 02:39 PM
You may have gotten a bad batch of Brass, that hadn't been full length resized before they got reloaded (you said they were once fired correct?) That's the other thing I can think of right off the top of my head.

yes, correct. it only happens for 1 round or 2 out of 100. I'm mainly concerned about the extractor and bolt when I have to use the rubber mallet to get the bolt back.

dfrosch
02-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Is it only the rounds that are hard to load get stuck in the chamber? The brass was likely shot in an auto or semi auto that has a sloppy chamber. Then, it probably wasn't resized enough to fit your chamber.

I'd suggest switching to different ammo. If you go with new ammo, selling your once fired brass could offset the cost difference.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 02:42 PM
I understand, but you should be concerned with the rounds sticking also... Your rifle isn't supposed to do that. When you pull the round out, do you see any marks on the bullet itself? It sounds like the round is either loaded too hot, or is loaded too long for your chamber...

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 02:47 PM
I understand, but you should be concerned with the rounds sticking also... Your rifle isn't supposed to do that. When you pull the round out, do you see any marks on the bullet itself? It sounds like the round is either loaded too hot, or is loaded too long for your chamber...

Honestly I haven't paid attention to the bullet itself when pulling back out because most of the time I just fire the round that's already chambered. Based on what you are saying, I would suspect it's the latter issue, namely it being too long for my chamber.

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Is it only the rounds that are hard to load get stuck in the chamber? The brass was likely shot in an auto or semi auto that has a sloppy chamber. Then, it probably wasn't resized enough to fit your chamber.

I'd suggest switching to different ammo. If you go with new ammo, selling your once fired brass could offset the cost difference.

Yes, only those rounds. 95% of the time it is fine and I have not problem with that ammo. The thing is this ammo is cheap but it shoots really well out of my rifle, so that's why I use it.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 02:50 PM
It could be either one, as they symptoms of both problems are very similar... But, I do lean more toward the later, because when you fire the round you can then extract it? without using the mallet? Or do you still have to use the mallet even after firing?

If you still have to use the mallet after firing the round, then I'd say it's the Brass full length resizing issue...

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 02:54 PM
It could be either one, as they symptoms of both problems are very similar... But, I do lean more toward the later, because when you fire the round you can then extract it? without using the mallet? Or do you still have to use the mallet even after firing?

If you still have to use the mallet after firing the round, then I'd say it's the Brass full length resizing issue...

I think you are right SageRat. I would agree with you it's a brass issue, which is what I've been suspecting. that being semi settled, what do you think about the potential issues with the extractor? I don't think I cleaning rod would do it because it is so **** tight in there.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 03:00 PM
You'd be surprised what a cleaning rod will get out.... If it's the fired brass, then a cheap cleaning rod from Bimart of something (the metal ones) and thread a flat headed jag on it. Not one with a point on it for your cleaning patches. Then just feed it from the muzzle end until you feel it slide into the neck and down to the base. Then if necessary, use the mallet on the end of the rod to knock the bolt back.

I've had the same issue with stuck brass in my 22-250 and had to order a new extractor and detent ball. (amazon I think) or you can go straight to Savage and order it there. You just need to provide your serial number to them and they'll send you what you need for your rifle.

It's actually a good kit to have a few backups too, as the extractors on Savage can wear out after about 3000 cycles of the bolt....

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 03:05 PM

I have to use the mallet even after firing. Either way it gets stuck. Fired or not.

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 03:10 PM
You'd be surprised what a cleaning rod will get out.... If it's the fired brass, then a cheap cleaning rod from Bimart of something (the metal ones) and thread a flat headed jag on it. Not one with a point on it for your cleaning patches. Then just feed it from the muzzle end until you feel it slide into the neck and down to the base. Then if necessary, use the mallet on the end of the rod to knock the bolt back.

I've had the same issue with stuck brass in my 22-250 and had to order a new extractor and detent ball. (amazon I think) or you can go straight to Savage and order it there. You just need to provide your serial number to them and they'll send you what you need for your rifle.

It's actually a good kit to have a few backups too, as the extractors on Savage can wear out after about 3000 cycles of the bolt....

Thanks a lot for all you input SageRat. BTW, how hard is it to replace a savage extractor?

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 03:12 PM
I think we've got it down to a 95% chance it's the once fired brass.... This is where being a reloader will benefit you down the road.... You can buy brand new brass, and your QC goes up significantly... just something to keep in mind...

Your loads and accuracy can/will get better too. Other than that.... Just buy factory ammo that is virgin brass.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 03:19 PM
The Process itself is very simple..... The hardest part is being able to hold the detent ball in place, until you can slide the extractor into the slot and push it back far enough to hold the detent ball in place. Make sure to use a ziplock bag that is big enough that you can get both hands in it.

When you push the extractor out of the bolt face initially the detent ball and tiny spring will shoot into outer space if you don't have it inside of the ziplock. Same process for putting it back in... Keep it all inside of the ziplock until you have successfully replaced the extractor over the detent ball.