PDA

View Full Version : newb question

Pages : 1 [2]

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 03:20 PM
double post

schnyd112
02-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Could also be brass that may have been fired more than once, has work hardened, and now isn't malleable enough to deform with the chamber when chambered. In other words... the brass may need to be annealed. Get a box of reputable factory ammo and see if the problem persists.

Are you using the mallet to open the bolt, or to move it rearwards? I have had them hard to open, overpressure causing too much bolt thrust, but once the lugs cleared the recess it came rearward just fine.

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 04:15 PM
The Process itself is very simple..... The hardest part is being able to hold the detent ball in place, until you can slide the extractor into the slot and push it back far enough to hold the detent ball in place. Make sure to use a ziplock bag that is big enough that you can get both hands in it.

When you push the extractor out of the bolt face initially the detent ball and tiny spring will shoot into outer space if you don't have it inside of the ziplock. Same process for putting it back in... Keep it all inside of the ziplock until you have successfully replaced the extractor over the detent ball.

Thank you SageRat. Appreciate all your input.

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Could also be brass that may have been fired more than once, has work hardened, and now isn't malleable enough to deform with the chamber when chambered. In other words... the brass may need to be annealed. Get a box of reputable factory ammo and see if the problem persists.

Are you using the mallet to open the bolt, or to move it rearwards? I have had them hard to open, overpressure causing too much bolt thrust, but once the lugs cleared the recess it came rearward just fine.

Using the mallet to move the bolt to the rear. It's tricky, because by the time I realize it's going to be one of those rounds that sticks, i'm already 50% into battery. So it's really hard to close the bolt while loading the round, and really hard to open and move the bolt back to the rear.

LHitchcox
02-06-2017, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the culprit is brass that was fired in a machine gun and is oversized to the point that a normal sizing die can't reduce it enough to fit. I have had that issue with surplus brass. When I sized the cases with a small base die, the problem went away.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Thank you SageRat. Appreciate all your input.

No Problem.... I've gotten a lot of education from other guys on here in just a short time. Glad I was able to pay it forward to someone else.

RC20
02-06-2017, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the culprit is brass that was fired in a machine gun and is oversized to the point that a normal sizing die can't reduce it enough to fit. I have had that issue with surplus brass. When I sized the cases with a small base die, the problem went away.

That or a Semi Auto and not resized right.

I carry a brass rod in the car. 1/4 inch, have had a few occasions to need to use it.

Sounds like you should just shuck the ones that when you start to close the bolt they get hard to close on, stop there.

SlowTrigger
02-06-2017, 08:25 PM
That or a Semi Auto and not resized right.

I carry a brass rod in the car. 1/4 inch, have had a few occasions to need to use it.

Sounds like you should just shuck the ones that when you start to close the bolt they get hard to close on, stop there.

That's good advice. Thought about doing the same thing.