homefrontsniper
02-06-2017, 01:36 AM
WHAT would you get CBI OR SHILEN BULL in 6 creedmoor or 6.5 creedmoor
For 500 800 1000 yards

Who has better QC
THANKS

olddav
02-06-2017, 09:33 AM
I purchased a Shilen "Match" barrel in 338-06. I have shot it out to 600yards (once) and it shot sub MOA (4.5"). Not the best but for the slow 225 grain bullet that I shoot, not bad either. Not sure if this is any help at all, but this is the direction I went when faced with the same question.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 10:52 AM
I don't have any experience with the Shilen, But I have 2 Criterions already and another on the way. They are great barrels and have had such good luck with them, that I haven't had to try a different maker. Honestly, I think you'll be happy with either one.

6.5 Creed is my vote.

bc83
02-06-2017, 12:09 PM
I have both barrels both are easy to clean and are shooters can't go wrong with ether one.

flangster
02-06-2017, 12:29 PM
I have a couple of Shilens -- borescope shows a lapped bore free of obvious defects. I did have to call Shilen customer service when trying to dope out a fit issue with my receiver. They were responsive, helpful and courteous -- and the problem ultimately had nothing to do with their barrel. Can't do a comparison, though. I have been happy with what I have. I recently purchased a McGowan chambered in .222, and I have a used Douglas in 6.5x55, which I have not had a chance to shoot yet. These are made by humans, subject to human error, and will be part of mechanical devices subject to pretty intense forces. Add human error on a shooter/reloader's part and it is tough to guarantee anything beyond a certain level of attention to detail at the factory. Based on what I have seen written about both brands here, I wouldn't hesitate to try a barrel from either manufacturer.

homefrontsniper
02-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Thanks for you're reply everyone.

homefrontsniper
02-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Now if (HOG DON) < ha ha....get some H- 4350 out the door. I would fill better and order a shilen

cdhbrad
02-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Can't help with those calibers but I have one of each in .308, both are very well finished and installed easily using a NSS lug and barrel nut. I really can't tell any difference in accuracy between the two using the same loads. I would call Northland SS to see what he has in stock and go with whatever he has that fits the length and twist you want.

cowtownup
02-08-2017, 12:47 PM
CBI

homefrontsniper
02-08-2017, 04:32 PM
CBI

Y cbi ? I think there equal.

SageRat Shooter
02-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Y cbi ? I think there equal.

Probably for the same reason I say CBI.... It's because we've used them.... or are using them.... I am a CBI fan, not that Shilen isn't equal or comparable, but it's what we've used.... I love mine and just ordered a 3rd.

Jim Briggs from NSS (retired) was who I talked to about Shilen or CBI when I ordered my first. "He said that he would be happy with either one" I just chose the Criterion because, (at that time) they were connected to Krieger barrels. That was a name I recognized as "Quality".

Cheers,

psharon97
02-08-2017, 06:00 PM
I have a CBI in 260, and a Douglas in 308. Both cost roughly the same, and will shoot about the same. You can't go wrong with either one of them.

cowtownup
02-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Same boat as sage rat... I have a CBI that shoots.. IVe never owned a shilen.

RC20
02-08-2017, 06:57 PM
You got two replies of people who have both and that is the rubber meets the road.

Both agreed they were equal. Flip option then whichever is lower cost and or can get soonest in my opinion.

What I can say is the assessment of smoothness is very relevant.

I have an XC and a Shilen, both in 30 caliber but not the same cartridge

That said, the Shilen is smoother inside (boroscope) and it cleans up easier.

The XC shoots as good as the Shilen, its not as smooth inside and it clean up about 50% more cleaning activity.

As I am not fond of cleaning barrels, Given the choice again and what response you have, I would go with Shilen or the CBI on an equal basis.

s3silver
02-09-2017, 04:38 AM
I have both also. A 22" Shilen in an AR platform 6.5 grendel and a 24" CBI in 6.5x55 in a Savage. Both will easily shoot sub-moa and on the occassion one hole groups at 100 yards. Can't go wrong with either.

keeki
02-09-2017, 06:59 AM
I've owned just about all of them and it's not always the barrel maker. Purchased a used pacnor on this site few years ago cheap, the guy said it shot 3/4" so I'm guessing that's why I got it cheap. Never shot it, sent it to Devin Sinner and had it punched to ai, the barrel shot consistently in the .1's. Has a lot to do with who is Chambering the barrel

homefrontsniper
02-11-2017, 02:44 AM
Thanks again everybody.

RC20
02-11-2017, 01:30 PM
You are welcome.

Per below, your really can't say that. The guy may to have been able to shoot it.

Chambering can be done wrong but its the easier part of the mix. The barrel has to be right or the best chamber in the world is worthless.

I've owned just about all of them and it's not always the barrel maker. Purchased a used pacnor on this site few years ago cheap, the guy said it shot 3/4" so I'm guessing that's why I got it cheap. Never shot it, sent it to Devin Sinner and had it punched to ai, the barrel shot consistently in the .1's. Has a lot to do with who is Chambering the barrel

m12lrs
02-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Barrels are.funny things. Probably more.difference between different barrels than the two manufacturers

Look at one of those true half inch grouping stock savage barrels through a borescope. You wouldn't expect it to shoot for. $&! $. Then look at the shilen and a kraiger and a bartlein. Buying those premium barrels does improve the odds .

Ask a gunsmith that builds the real deal competition benchrest guns how many blanks he goes through before he selects The One. And these guys are buying the best blanks from the best manufactures and the still cull through them.

Getting a real hummer.barrel is.the.luck of.the.draw

Robinhood
02-11-2017, 10:28 PM
It's because we've used them.... or are using them.... I am a CBI fan, not that Shilen isn't equal or comparable, but it's what we've used....

Sorry for hijacking but I have seen this in Sagerat's post before, who is we? Is there a small sagerat in your pocket. :oHe he. Seriously Is there a group of you that are close or maybe a team? Just curious.