PDA

View Full Version : shilen vs CBI HELP

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
02-11-2017, 10:56 PM
You are welcome.

Per below, your really can't say that. The guy may to have been able to shoot it.

Chambering can be done wrong but its the easier part of the mix. The barrel has to be right or the best chamber in the world is worthless.

I agree that chambering can be wrong. Every time it is, there are less that desirable consequences. Since most barrels go through some sort of QC it is rare to see a "dog" make it through to the customer so in the end the final work is definitely a determining factor. The examples of crap rifled barrels from Savage and Shaw shooting tiny groups is a prime example. Back when Jim first got Apache started he rechambered a poor shooting 6.5 CM LRP barrel to 260. Shot consistent <1 moa at 1000.

keeki
02-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Thank you

cowtownup
02-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Just so you know, CBI is now offering a 1.25" contour barrel and special barrel nut for large shank actions for those that want that HEAVY barrel... Its a pretty slick idea since the only way to run that large of a contour before was to have the barrel shouldered against the action/recoil lug. Among the chambers being offered in this barrel is a straight 284 with a .220 freebore for those 180 Hybrids or 183 SMKs.

rdog52
02-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Just so you know, CBI is now offering a 1.25" contour barrel and special barrel nut for large shank actions for those that want that HEAVY barrel... Its a pretty slick idea since the only way to run that large of a contour before was to have the barrel shouldered against the action/recoil lug. Among the chambers being offered in this barrel is a straight 284 with a .220 freebore for those 180 Hybrids or 183 SMKs.

Thanks for the heads up Cowtownup about the newest profiles available from CBI. I was not aware of those and I'm interested.

cowtownup
02-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I'm building a straight 284 now and I've invested money in a reamer and a barrel and will have to have a gunsmith chamber and shoulder it as compared to this setup. I don't regret it since I've been wanting to try a cut rifle barrel, but this is a great option for those wanting to shoot F-Open or target shooting.

swadiver
02-13-2017, 08:47 PM

I have two barrels (a Krieger and a Bartlein) that are 1.25" at the breech, i bought as blanks. My gunsmith(s) threaded them for standard large shank Savage actions and they are installed with the standard Savage barrel nut.

cowtownup
02-13-2017, 09:21 PM
The standard large shank barrel nut has a smaller ID than 1.25" so I would be of the opinion that either your gunsmith modified the barrel nut or the barrel steps up out past the nut. I've asked Josh at Criterion how they made this heavy barrel offering possible and he stated that the barrel nut is modified.

I'm interested to hear how yours was done and how they shoot? Do you like the 1.25" barrel profile and was it difficult to tune?

RC20
02-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I'm building a straight 284 now and I've invested money in a reamer and a barrel and will have to have a gunsmith chamber and shoulder it as compared to this setup. I don't regret it since I've been wanting to try a cut rifle barrel, but this is a great option for those wanting to shoot F-Open or target shooting.

A cut rifle barrel is one of my desires as well.

Probably be some time.

One more project to go and working on getting good enough to hopefully be able to utilize the capabilities to somewhere on the edge of what they can do.

cowtownup
02-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Well, I've just got to learn for myself what cut rifle barrels are like. Its been twice as expensive as buying a pre fit savage barrel so hopefully the benefits will be directly proportional to the cost.. I've spent $386 on bartlein barrel blank, $200 on a JGS reamer and I had to buy pilot bushing since my smith has not chambered any 7mm barrels yet and they were $136... So, I'm north of $700 in a cut rifle barrel setup when you can buy a CBI for $350ish... I do have some benefits if I continue to use this reamer.. I'm sure if it shoots well my buddies will help me absorb the cost of the reamer... ha ha ha...

RC20
02-15-2017, 04:48 PM
If I do it, it will be all done at Krieger, Bartlein etc.

I was surprised that the cost was not that much more than a button rifled.

Not sure you can get a pre fit but cost is still around $380 or so.

cowtownup
02-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Southern Precision charges $500 for a Bartlein Prefit savage barrel... They have quite a few reamers choices in many different calibers.

Just looking at Barlein's webpage, they charge $345 for the barrel and $310 to chamber & install barrel... Not to mention 6-8 month lead time...

Regardless of which way you go in this hobby, the money gets GONE... LOL...

SageRat Shooter
02-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Sorry for hijacking but I have seen this in Sagerat's post before, who is we? Is there a small sagerat in your pocket. :oHe he. Seriously Is there a group of you that are close or maybe a team? Just curious.

Robinhood,

We: meaning more than one of us.... I was speaking on behalf of the other 2 posters (cowtownup, and homefront sniper) who recommended the Criterion barrel.. We are not close, but we are a group of CBI fans....

RC20
02-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Southern Precision charges $500 for a Bartlein Prefit savage barrel... They have quite a few reamers choices in many different calibers.

Just looking at Barlein's webpage, they charge $345 for the barrel and $310 to chamber & install barrel... Not to mention 6-8 month lead time...

Regardless of which way you go in this hobby, the money gets GONE... LOL...

And that's the truth! Makes sense that pre-fit in a cut rifled would not be on the shelf and all the extras to get it.

While I don't have a CBI barrel, I have been very impressed when someone report a problem and they jumped in without behind contacts.

That is the kind of customer service that gives me warm fuzzy feelings.

cowtownup
02-15-2017, 08:19 PM
I have been very impressed when someone report a problem and they jumped in without behind contacts.

That is the kind of customer service that gives me warm fuzzy feelings.

You got that right.. Nobody wants to send a barrel back but if it doesn't shoot and the manufacturer stands behind it, that really means a lot.. From what I can tell, CBI isn't seeing a lot of return barrels.. There business appears to be growing with new and innovative ideas. Good for them and even better for US...

swadiver
02-15-2017, 09:32 PM
The barrels steps up past the standard barrel nut. the only one i have shot so far is the 6BR Krieger. it is the epitome of a 6BR, a tack driver. it was very easy to tune. the straight profile 1.25" barrel seems to have wide accuracy nodes. this a 28" barrel and is very heavy of, course. still waiting to shoot the Bartlein 6BR barrel with a 1.25" breech but a taper to the muzzle

cowtownup
02-15-2017, 09:42 PM
The wide accuracy nodes comment is music to my ears....

rdog52
02-15-2017, 10:34 PM
Same here. I shoot F-T/R with a Criterion and it shoots very well. I just put together another rifle with a Brux built to use the nut. I tried a slightly faster twist than what Criterion offers. With the cost of the barrel blank and chambering I'm at almost 2x the cost of a Criterion pre-fit. There is no way that I'll get rewarded with twice the performance, lol. But like you, I have to learn.

RC20
02-16-2017, 04:46 PM
I had that discussion about a new chain on my bicycle as I wee them out too fast.

Yes there are better and more expensive chains, but you don't get twice the life out of the chain that costs 3 times as much!

Now that's a slam dunk. I went with the old chain type because its not a big deal to change it.

On the other hand if a barrel shoots 30% better at twice the cost? I would take that!!

Of course I have to be able to shoot 30% better to!!!!!