PDA

View Full Version : BARREL CLEANING

Pages : [1] 2

okie2
08-15-2010, 07:01 PM
What is the best carbon cutter bar none?
I bought a used 308 barrel I have been cleaning on it for 2 days
I have used about everything plus brass brushes and I am still getting carbon out of it.
Have used about 100 patches.
I know it is bound to have copper in it but have not got any traces of it yet.

earl39
08-15-2010, 07:28 PM
gee i have never had one that bad but if you can plug one end of the barrel you might try filling it with kroil and let it set for a day or two. that should at least start to get under it by then where you can get most of it out. kroil does great things when you want it to get under something. i know it will cut light carbon and the regular stuff like rust is doomed.

okie2
08-15-2010, 07:49 PM
thanks I just ordered some kroil and Butches Bore Shine from midway today.
I bet the guy that had this barrel never ever cleaned it.
I also know there is bound to be some copper under the carbon.
I just have not reached it yet.

82boy
08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
I found that Kroil and butches is not the best thing on carbon.

Best thing to cut carbon is GM TEC (Top Engine Cleaner) General Motors dropped it from their dealerships but replaced it for TE&FIC. (Top engine and fuel injector cleaner.) Doing this the priced tripled, but the product supposedly works the same. Some dealerships have the old stuff on the shelf and if you can find it buy all of it. Back in the day you got a big can of it for 5 bucks.

Now if you want a gun cleaner that works, get a bottle of Shooter Choice. You may ask what is in shooter Choice that makes it work so good, well in the list is GM TEC. I found on bad carbon deposits that cleaning with JB bore paste is absolutely needed, followed up with shooters choice letting the shooters choice sit a hour or two before cleaning it out. In extreme cases I take a worn out bore brush and wrap it with 0000 steel wool, and coat it with JB and run it back and forth.

okie2
08-15-2010, 08:12 PM
a long with engine cleaners what about gunk.
I have not seen any of it for a long time though.
I just found this site very interesting how to clean barrels..
http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

82boy
08-15-2010, 08:19 PM
a long with engine cleaners what about gunk.

No.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

I read that a long time ago, and I don't quite believe it. If you going to remove carbon why not cut a carbon fouled barrel into segment's and soak each segment in the solution, instead of trying to mimic making coper on a strip. He never tried TEC, Shooters choice, or RB17. But he also never had a control what happen when you use plain water? I just don't buy everything I read on the Internet.

AVanGorder
08-15-2010, 08:26 PM
What is the best carbon cutter bar none?.....

KG1 is the best thing I have found. I know exactly what you are talking about. I neglected my first two bench rest barrels and had a dickens of a time getting it out... I tried every thing I could get my hands on. KG1 is without a doubt the best thing I could find. It works very well.

Adrian
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=753983&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=10612

fflmike
08-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Spray brake cleaner is the best thing I have found to use. $2.48 at Walmart. Just don't get it on plastic! A friend bought an old Japanese rifle for $75 and it was supposed to have a bad barrel. It was black inside. He tried lots of stuff to no avail. Cleaned it with brake cleaner (with very little effort) and then the barrel was just fine. Shoots 2" groups at 100 yards now with hand loads. I know one well known custom gun maker that only uses brake cleaner to clean barrels.

DGD6MM
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
I've used GM top engine cleaner for a few years now and it is good. But... last month while we were cleaning and borescoping barrels before and after, I had the chance to use KG against GM tec and the KG is far better. Toyota makes a TEC that you can purchase, and you can still find it here and there at the Chevy dealer. I'll be buying the KG.

teddog
08-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Any thoughts on Seafoam?

Ray Gunter
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
For Carbon removal I rely on an old formula..... Ed's Red
Its a DIY.
I make a gallon and give some to my buddies.
This stuff really works.... for carbon.... not very good for copper

laportecharlie
08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I recently whipped up a gallon of Ed's Red and it really works well on everything except copper. The lanolin in Ed's Red is supposed to help reduce future copper fouling.
Charlie

okie2
08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
So what does it take to make ED's RED ??

GUNFANATIC
08-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Wipeout! 'Nuff said! ;D

dmack
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
So what does it take to make ED's RED ??

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

m.g
08-17-2010, 04:46 PM
WIPEOUT OVER NIGHTAND FOLLOW WITH A WET PATCH OF BUTCHES TO WIPE IT CLEAN .

DGD6MM
08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I use wipeout . I've let it sit for a few hours ,over night and it does a good job. I've found better results with the KG, it removes carbon better then GM top engine cleaner.

okie2
08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
any one ever used slip 2000 carbon killer?

maxima2
08-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Wipeout and Patchout. Patchout is just non-foaming Wipeout. Excellent products and won't hurt a barrel when left in it overnight. Gets copper and carbon out.

wapaloose
08-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Seafoam works great,