PDA

View Full Version : Anyone decide to not replace their savage axis stock.....

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hank Williams
01-09-2017, 01:32 PM
With so many internet opinions on the Savage Axis factory stock being "flimsy" I question whether the stock on my Axis HB 223 Must be replaced for optimum performance. I thought I had read changing the stock was more of a must do on the bigger calibers 308--30*06 etc. Id like to hear how the Axis oe stock really works or dosent for bench shooting. Also if its a total waste or can it be saved with mods ?

SageRat Shooter
01-09-2017, 01:41 PM
The Axis stock is super flimsy... If you reach up to the forend, you can do two things.... You can twist it almost like a wet washcloth, or you can squeeze it and move it far enough to touch your barrel. I found that off a bench and bag, that my consistency was rather poor if I didn't have the rifle pushed into the bag almost up to the trigger guard, so that everything from the barrel nut forward had zero pressure on it. I put the Prairie hunter from Boyds on mine (22-250) and she is solid now... No flex, no twist, and my PIO stays consistent as long as I do my part behind the trigger.

Hank Williams
01-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Im considering the Boyds Pro Varmit , the colored stocks look nice also. A more pronounced pistol grip and sturdy stock is what Im after plus price $ wise its hard to beat Boyds.

SageRat Shooter
01-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Go with the Boyds Laminate Pro varmint!!!!!! I have one on my 260 Rem (build in process) and is my favorite stock from Boyds thus far. I'm a lefty, so I didn't have that option for my Axis build...

Axis223Shooter
01-10-2017, 12:20 AM
I have Axis XP 223. My experience with the factory stock: Putting any pressure on the forend -- in front of where the recoil lug is -- seems to disperse the groups. Installing a bipod on the front swivel stud led will lead to inconsistent groups, if you put ANY weight on it. My red neck hack was to use Rockite on the forend and 1/2 of rear stock + super glue the trigger guard... Haven't yet confirmed if this improved the groups or not, but it sure made the stock VERY stiff but added about 1lb of extra weight... It's okay since I won't hunt with it. Others in the forum bedded various types of stiff rod in the forend.

alltherage
01-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Go rockite...very solid w little weight=great accuracy

pisgah
01-10-2017, 02:50 PM
For benchrest shooting, man, get a better stock. If you don't you'll be complaining on this board constantly because however well it shoots, it won't be good enough. Now, this may not describe you, and if it doesn't I'll apologize right now, but it's a pattern seen before -- and personally experienced.

I bought my two Axis rifles, a .223 and a .270, as light hunting rifles. I was hoping for very-near-MOA accuracy out to 300 yards and rifles that could achieve that reliably from the numerous field-shooting positions I use. It took a little trigger-tweaking and very little shooting, really, to show me that's what I had from both rifles already, using several different factory loads in each one. The factory stock ain't purty, but the way I use it, it works just fine.

fteter
01-10-2017, 10:48 PM
When I purchased my Axis in .223 very late last year, I was pretty certain I'd be switching out the stock based on everything I'd read. But the more I fire the rifle, the more I think it's not necessary. My use is probably not anything out of the ordinary. I'll be doing some light hunting, but mostly bench rest target shooting out to 400 yards. The biggest limitation is my own skill as a shooter rather than the stock on the rifle...skill deteriorating with age.

So the jury is still out long-term, but I won't be rushing out to replace the stock anytime soon.

UPDATE: A year after my original post, I thought I'd update just in case anyone is reading this thread. After more shooting time with this rifle, I've definitely decided against upgrading the stock. The flex in the stock just isn't significant enough to enter into the equation: .223 with bench rest and sandbags. I might feel differently if I used a bipod or a larger round with more punch but, for what I'm doing, the factory stock is just fine. Still going strong with the original stock in April of 2018.

celltech
01-11-2017, 12:06 AM
The plastic stock Axis is a noodle for sure. But it's the twisting between the butt and receiver that I hate the most.

If you want it stiff from the factory get the new hardwood Axis II XP. Does not cost much more than the plastic version and is plenty stiff. It's a Boyds stock in solid wood, not laminate. No, the finish is not spectacular but it gets the job done. You can refinish it yourself or paint it in some nice epoxy colors...

Hank Williams
01-11-2017, 04:53 AM
Just got my scope mounted gona try it out bone stock this Sat to get it sighted in and see for myself how good or bad the stock is. Best i can do till i get a replacement stock is sandbag it neath the magazine against the trigger gaurd. ; Wich reminds me a couple of things a. i notice lot of guys change out the trigger gaurd is this cause their plastic and break or just cosmetic and b.any one with a 223 axis know the barrel twist rate is it marked on the barrel or written in the owners manual. plus what weight factory ammo is most consistant at 100-200 yards punchin paper ? I know my 783 Remi 223 identical to the Axis is awsome with the Hornady .75g bthp match - 3 shots one hole / 100yds that ammo is not cheap but man is it badass.

SageRat Shooter
01-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Hank,

the 223 Axis has a 1-9 twist according to the site. 50-55 grainers should shoot really well in it, but you may have luck with the 75s... twist rate is a little slow for those IMO, but it's just an opinion.

BurkeW80
01-22-2017, 02:11 PM
I have 2 Axis' and do not plan on replacing the stock on either. I won the 7-08 at a gun raffle and was very put off by the stock at first. I had never owned a synthetic stocked rifle of any kind. It eventually grew on me and it is very accurate. It's primary use is a hunting rifle and I do not expect to put 1000's of rounds through it to try and get tiny groups at any distance. When I do my part, it's a 1-1.5" group all day. Much better than I need to drop deer at any distance. I like the rifle so much, that I just recently purchased a stainless 25-06. I'll be keeping the factory stocks on both.

ivob
01-23-2017, 08:38 AM
I have 2 Axis' and do not plan on replacing the stock on either. I won the 7-08 at a gun raffle and was very put off by the stock at first. I had never owned a synthetic stocked rifle of any kind. It eventually grew on me and it is very accurate. It's primary use is a hunting rifle and I do not expect to put 1000's of rounds through it to try and get tiny groups at any distance. When I do my part, it's a 1-1.5" group all day. Much better than I need to drop deer at any distance. I like the rifle so much, that I just recently purchased a stainless 25-06. I'll be keeping the factory stocks on both.

I am going to keep my Axis 308 HB stock not going to upgrade the trigger or stock. It is going to make me a better shooter after all it is a budget hunting rifle that is sub MOA

ivob
01-25-2017, 07:02 AM
It is what it is - received my 308 the other day sure the trigger is ambit heavy but am gonna give it a chance - will not be replacing that or the stock

BurkeW80
01-29-2017, 08:09 PM
I am going to keep my Axis 308 HB stock not going to upgrade the trigger or stock. It is going to make me a better shooter after all it is a budget hunting rifle that is sub MOA

I did get a "trigger kit" off Ebay to reduce the trigger pull a bit. It was $15 and dropped it a couple pounds. Other than that though, it's staying stock.

ivob
01-30-2017, 09:03 AM
I measured my trigger pull a constant 5.5 pounds

Roegun
03-09-2017, 04:05 AM
Before I purchased my Axis XP 30-06 Hardwood, I read a ton of reviews. That's what made me decide on the hardwood. The stock was the biggest issue so I stayed away from the Synthetic ones.
I got mine at WalMart. They didn't have any of the Axis XP II models with accutrigger, but this one showed up one day in their gun case and I bought it on the spot. The stock is pretty good quality and adds some weight to assist with felt recoil. I have put the trigger kit in (from ebay) and now it has changed the trigger pull from 7lbs down to 3.25 - tested with my RCBS trigger pull gauge. I also purchased the Limbsaver airtech recoil pad. Next up is to upgrade the Weaver scope with a mil-dot. I'm trying to keep it low cost, but the scope is something that I'm not going to scrimp on.
I'm sure that it will work just fine on Mule Deer.

ivob
03-09-2017, 06:36 PM
The stock on my 308HB is fine - I do not shoot using a bi-pod a couple sandbags works well at the range - recently had a local gunsmith install a Timney Trigger and its breaks at 2.5 pounds a noticeable difference from 5.5 pounds. I was able to shoot (2.230 - 0.308) 1.922 four shot group before the trigger upgrade with hand loads at 200 yards. It does look promising - I hope to shrink these groups further next time I am at the range.

calstar
03-09-2017, 08:21 PM
I have a 243 and 223 axis., both hb. Got the 243 first, rockited it, helped but still flexy, I can touch the barrel to stock by applying pressure to the stock when holding the barrel. With the 223 I removed a lot of the stock at the barrel channel, stuck it on my mill, took down the sides as well as under the barrel, can't make the stock/barrel contact without heavy pressure(more than anything encountered while shooting), think free float on steroids, no problem with it on bags or bipod, won't touch. I did put rockite in the wrist(and stuck in 1/4x 3 hex bolt in the rockite) of the 223 extending 2-3" towards the butt, it does noticeably stiffen that area and helps balance the hb. I don't see any down side to this, its free floated(sort of) from the factory anyway, and barrel blocked rifles just have the barrel hanging out there. I also glued the plastic trigger guard to the stock which adds a bit more stiffness. I'm a pretty experienced wood worker so I'll make stocks for both rifles with birch veneer plywood using pieces stacked and glue-lammed when I have the time but until then it I'm good since I'm not a match shooter.
Brian

ivob
03-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Decided to upgrade the trigger after I started shooting MOA with the factory trigger out to 200 yards - itching to go to the range Sunday after my 19km run to try it out