PDA

View Full Version : Anyone decide to not replace their savage axis stock.....

Pages : 1 [2] 3

BZimm
03-24-2017, 04:08 PM
My son bought an Axis 270 4 years ago. No ups, no extras and I think he's in his second box of factory ammo. Four years, three deer.

So last Spring I ordered an Axis II 30.06 with the hardwood stock and I really like it. One year, zero deer.

He's had a lot of training with firearms and he seems to think his (actually both) rifles are just fine for their purpose.

BZimm

4Patriot
03-24-2017, 08:55 PM
I would prefer a Boyd's stock for aesthetic reasons, but as a first step I did Rockite in the forend and in the grip area. Excellent result.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

caymin last
03-26-2017, 08:45 PM
I got myself an Axis 223 a week ago, sifted through all the reviews ect. The main reason was the cost, and my budget. The trigger was an easy fix, I had the parts at hand, watched and read a bunch of how-to's. Tackled the stock this weekend, with a 7/16th drill I had extended to 14", two holes were drilled from the front of the stock all the way under the recoil lug into the trigger housing, sections of a carbon fiber arrow shaft were inserted and fixed in place with epoxy putty, putty was pushed down to fill the two triangular holes in front of the recoil lug where the arrow shaft passed through, the shafts were cut at the front flush with the fore end and plugged with the epoxy putty, (looks like nostrils), the 'Ice Tray' was sanded of course and filled with two part epoxy, the but stock was also drilled (one hole) and a 12" aluminium gutter spike inserted and epoxied in place, and half filled with two part epoxy. I also super glued the trigger guard/cover in place, and the barrel groove was sanded to open it up just a tiny bit more. It feels more solid now, but the real test will be at the range. I took some pictures but still need to upload them to PB.

Fangolio
04-09-2017, 03:35 PM
With so many internet opinions on the Savage Axis factory stock being "flimsy" I question whether the stock on my Axis HB 223 Must be replaced for optimum performance. I thought I had read changing the stock was more of a must do on the bigger calibers 308--30*06 etc. Id like to hear how the Axis oe stock really works or dosent for bench shooting. Also if its a total waste or can it be saved with mods ?

Yeah, I'm keeping the factory synthetic stock on mine. Here in Canada it's a $400 rifle. My scope cost more than the rifle. I didn't expect anything earthshaking in the accuracy department and have been surprised that I'm getting as good as I am with sub MOA at 100 yards. Even with a bipod attached I'm finding it shoots just fine. If I was going to be targeting out to 600 or 1000 yards then I'd have to be a bit overly optimistic to think I was going to be successful with a rifle that's priced like it is. You get what you pay for. If you want to do long range or one hole groups, spend the long range money and buy the right gun.

wbm
04-09-2017, 04:15 PM
They didn't have any of the Axis XP II models with accutrigger, but this one showed up one day in their gun case and I bought it on the spot.

Did the same except mine was in 243. Replaced trigger with a Rifle Basix. The wood stock is exactly what the Axis needed. Shot the Winchester Deer Season 95gr XP extremely well. Waited several minutes between shots and ended up with five shots touching. Like the Winchester XP ammunition a lot. It has shot less than 1 moa in two Savage 243's. Don't see much point in reloading for general hunting situations.

hereinaz
04-09-2017, 06:29 PM
If you get the provarmint, i suggest you get a colored laminate because it is stronger than the black painted plywood.

I have both, and the laminate is just a little better. It has been impregnated with epoxy resin. But, that black finish is also pretty tough stuff.

pisgah
04-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I'm keeping the factory synthetic stock on mine. Here in Canada it's a $400 rifle. My scope cost more than the rifle. I didn't expect anything earthshaking in the accuracy department and have been surprised that I'm getting as good as I am with sub MOA at 100 yards. Even with a bipod attached I'm finding it shoots just fine. If I was going to be targeting out to 600 or 1000 yards then I'd have to be a bit overly optimistic to think I was going to be successful with a rifle that's priced like it is. You get what you pay for. If you want to do long range or one hole groups, spend the long range money and buy the right gun.

It is evident that there resides a great reservoir of good sense in the Great White North. :-)

4Patriot
12-07-2017, 10:25 AM
With so many internet opinions on the Savage Axis factory stock being "flimsy" I question whether the stock on my Axis HB 223 Must be replaced for optimum performance. I thought I had read changing the stock was more of a must do on the bigger calibers 308--30*06 etc. Id like to hear how the Axis oe stock really works or dosent for bench shooting. Also if its a total waste or can it be saved with mods ?Rockite in the foregrip and in the wrist area does the trick. I'd prefer a Boyd's stock for aesthetic reasons, but haven't found it necessary. With the Rockite the stock is plenty stiff.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

phoenix1151
12-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Bought the .223 Axis as an inexpensive coyote popper 4 years ago (and haven't really even gone for coyote yet). No intention of changing the stock, so put JB Weld in the fore-end and sanded out the channel. Put some two-part epoxy in the wrist and magazine well walls. Put a Burris ballistic plex scope on it and have 9/16 groups using 55g Hornady SP & Vmax reloads at 100 yards even with my old eyes. Plenty good enough for what I need it for.

Wayne Nixon
12-15-2017, 09:50 PM
I took a heavy barrel stock and did the rockite in forearm and stock, will use this for 270 and 30-06 as its has a little bit more weight. It is not to heavy to carry for my use as a hunting rifle. I also did the rockite on a couple of regular stocks to use with 243,308 and 22-250, did rattle can paint job on all and they turned out decent for hunting rigs.

Jimk
12-30-2017, 10:56 PM
I upgraded the trigger but I'm not replacing the stock. It shoots just fine with factory one.

Josh63640
12-31-2017, 09:21 PM
I dig my pro varmithttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180101/6ed27fea3b0d5508b054d8f0db042ab2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

GunnyJC
01-01-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm, in no way, a markmanship expert capable of cloverleafing but, I just didn't like the stock. I don't know what effect it would have had on my shooting and it seems I'll never find out. I got my Axis as a Christmas present and the first thing I did was order a Boyds stock for it. I also ordered a M*CARBO trigger spring kit for it and just won a Bushnell Bannner Dusk & Dark, 4-12x40 on EBay with the intent of replacing the Weaver 3-9x40 that came with the rifle. My goal for this rifle is to make it a respectable coyote eliminator. Once all done, I'll post pics.

Willy
01-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Been a while since I've had mine apart; how do you get the rocktite into the wrist cavity?

Wayne Nixon
01-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Been a while since I've had mine apart; how do you get the rocktite into the wrist cavity?
The way I did mine was to take recoil pad off and used modeling clay to plug the notch for trigger guard and fill with rocktite ( I filled mine but use as little as you want )

EvilVaquero
01-25-2018, 04:16 PM
I have a Savage Axis HB in 22-250. With a Timney Trigger, and everything else left alone, including the stock, I consistently shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. There is no reason at all to change the stock unless you are looking to upgrade the guns LOOKS. My accuracy surely does not suffer at all.

Diamondback
02-11-2018, 04:30 AM
This is for a Savage Axis factory synthetic stock.

The 308 Axis rifle synthetic stock in factory bare condition (no optic) weighs about 6 lbs.
(1.5 lb stock, 4 lb 7 ounce action, trigger, and barrel)
Weighed it on a scale.

With the rockite in forearm it is 6.5 lbs.
(2 lb stock, 4 lb 7 ounce action, trigger, and barrel)
Weighed on a scale.

An optic with rings (2-7x35 or 3-9x40) will add 1 lb in weight to that.

So 7.5 - 8 lbs is about right for backpack hunting or stalk hunting work.

Felt Recoil is about 17 - 19 lbs for a 270, 308, 30-06 rifle with optic at 8 lbs.

If you rockite the rear hollow synthetic stock area that will add another 1 lbs and fill the grip / rear stock.
That brings the total weight to 9 lbs lbs to tame recoil down to 14 - 16 lbs for felt recoil in above calibers.

If you use attached bipods add another 1 lb for weight.

The heavier a rifle begins to get, the more it gets suited for stationary work.
Above calibers in a 10 lb rifle = 13 lb recoil or comparable to a 30-30 in recoil.

An 8 lb 243 Win with scope = 10 lbs felt recoil with 100gr bullets.
That is a deer slayer with minimum felt recoil.

Rockite can be your friend when both stiffening the stock and reducing recoil for the Savage Axis.

After the rockite has dried for a week+, I use Rust-Oleum Leak Seal Black rubber waterproof sealant spray paint on all exposed Rockite in the forearm.
It is made for concrete waterproof sealing. Some will say it isn't needed, but I don't want any chance of water absorbed if caught in a heavy downpour.
The Rockies can have sun and great weather and then 2 hours later can put heavy rain, hail, or snow on you.
It is best to weatherproof some things once and just call it good.

YMMV

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41OOuOcghSL._SY463_.jpg

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/bar-graph.php?h=300&data=5,223%20Rem%20(7%20lbs);8,7.62x39%20(7%20lbs) ;10,243%20Win%20(8%20lb);12,30-30%20Win%20(8%20lbs);14,%206.5%20Creed%20(8%20lbs) ;16,270%20Win%20(8%20lbs);17,308%20Win%20(8%20lbs) ;20,30-06%20(8%20lbs);25,7mm%20RM%20(8%20lbs);26,300%20WM %20(9%20lbs);;&t=Recoil%20Energy%20of%20Various%20Rifles%20(ft.lb f)

Roegun
02-16-2018, 03:08 PM
Before I purchased my Axis XP 30-06 Hardwood, I read a ton of reviews. That's what made me decide on the hardwood. The stock was the biggest issue so I stayed away from the Synthetic ones.
I got mine at WalMart. They didn't have any of the Axis XP II models with accutrigger, but this one showed up one day in their gun case and I bought it on the spot. The stock is pretty good quality and adds some weight to assist with felt recoil. I have put the trigger kit in (from ebay) and now it has changed the trigger pull from 7lbs down to 3.25 - tested with my RCBS trigger pull gauge. I also purchased the Limbsaver airtech recoil pad. Next up is to upgrade the Weaver scope with a mil-dot. I'm trying to keep it low cost, but the scope is something that I'm not going to scrimp on.
I'm sure that it will work just fine on Mule Deer.

Just updating my post from last year. I just sold my Axis XP hardwood in 30-06 to a friend that's starting to deer hunt and needed a worthy rifle. I really liked the rifle, but have many Rem 700 parts so am building an 06 out of those and going a different direction for my 06 build. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Axis XP and plan to purchase another in 308 hardwood in the future. I was really impressed by the rifle. My suggestion to anyone looking for a better stock than the flimsy factory synthetic on their Axis XP is to hunt down the factory hardwood stock and buy it. They are Boyds stocks and pretty good despite what some may say bout Boyds. For an 06 the extra weight of the wood stock reduced recoil a bit. I also added a limbsaver recoil pad to mine and could shoot it all day long with out any sore shoulder issues which is a concern for some shooters. I also purchased the trigger mod kit for mine and reduced the trigger pull. It only took about 5 rounds to zero the scope after bore sighting (factory setting was about 12 inches low and 4 inches to the right). I found only a slight difference with this rifle between 125 gr handloads and 165gr handloads in relation to felt recoil. I use Nosler bullets for my rifle handloads and used the ballistic tips for my axis xp. After sighting in I was able to get tight groups with the Weaver Kaspa scope that came on the rifle. I put quite a few boxes of handloads through the rifle and did not have to readjust the scope with the exception of small height adjustments for using heavier weight bullets.
To sum things up. Buy the Boyds hardwood stock. Break in the barrel properly. Reduce the factory trigger pull weight. Change the factory scope if you choose. Don't let anyone badmouth the rifle, and enjoy your purchase. They are a great rifle at a budget price.

Magilla26
02-23-2018, 12:06 PM
I bought my Axis 223 three years ago and I have kept the factory stock. I use it to shoot sage rats in Eastern Oregon and NE California a few times a year. I get half inch accuracy at 100 yards using Hornady 53 grain HP match bullets and RL7. I added a Leupold 4X12 and a slip on recoil pad to increase the length of pull. This set up works for me.

rerun5
02-24-2018, 06:32 PM
I have a savage axis in 30-06 that I bought a few years ago. I haven't done any mods to it at all, right now it shooting MOA groups. But I love all of this information and I may try stiffening my stock in the future. I have no problem with the factory stock and it shoots well enough to suit me. But I love projects so it might happen in the future.