PDA

View Full Version : Scope issues

Pages : [1] 2

Smokestick
01-05-2017, 11:18 PM
Hello all, I have been gathering parts for a big build. Got all parts together and went to work. Started with a 110e 243 that shot real good but needed a redo. Spun on a criterion 6 xc barrel set into a choate varmint stock and topped with picatinny rail burris xtr rings and a vortex viper scope all brand new set at 25 moa. Went to sight down tube and scope. windage is off a long ways, rechecked all mounts and torques any ideas or suggestions, tomorrow will try again if no luck will go back to old mount and scope see what happens but I am at a loss, I spent 3 hours today trying to correct the issue with no luck so input would be great thanks

Robinhood
01-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Try the other equipment to see if you get the same results. If you do, clean up the face of the action with a fine hone and light pressure removing only the high(shiny) spots. Get a ground recoil lug.

Smokestick
01-06-2017, 12:32 AM
Thanks I will try old rigging forgot to mention I got a precision lug and nut from nss could threads be out of line with barrel?

Robinhood
01-06-2017, 07:29 AM
There is a chance that the face of the action has some proud metal on it. If you look closely you will see it. The best thing is to have it trued. but the hone thing can work surprisingly good if you understand how to use it with discretion and purpose.

If it shot well before this should help.

However, with the action being older and not knowing the history there could be other issues.

Sleeper99
01-06-2017, 08:09 AM
If you think your barrel is not straight you can take off your scope and rail, then shoot a laser level line from behind the action. Line it up through both of the holes on the top of your receiver. Then see if the laser line is centered as it crosses over the front of your action and it should also drop off then end of the barrel centered over the bore.

I hope that made sense. If your line is centered on the mounting holes and doesn't center the front of the actio then your action is tapped crooked. If everything looks good on the action but the bore is not centered then look into truing the action. This is the easiest way I know of to check these things. If all points line up perfectly than you have a mount/ring/scope problem.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it makes sense.

LongRange
01-06-2017, 08:56 AM
have you shot the rifle to actually verify the scope is off?

Smokestick
01-06-2017, 11:12 AM
I have not, scope was so far off I thought would be waste, but, on the chance the mistake is in my bore sighting I will before taking all apart, thanks for the help all I will let you know what I come up with.

RC20
01-06-2017, 11:26 AM
I think you have a rail or a ring problem, possibly a scope but the first two look more likely.

You are on the right track, put the old stuff back on and see.

I usually have a couple of rail setups around I can cross check with to eliminate a ring issue (I tend to prefer the rails)

LongRange
01-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Shoot it first to confirm you ACTUALLY have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokestick
01-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Ok gentleman I went and shot at 15 yards and was 8 inches high and 8 inches left, I put my old scope and rings on and shot 4 inches high and 4 left put on old base rings and scope now 3 inches left and 1.5 low not to sure what to make of it

cowtownup
01-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Do you have the XTR rings with the inserts or just the regular ones?

Robinhood
01-06-2017, 02:18 PM
unless you have optically centered your reticle you really don't know where a used scope is aligned to. Put a scope on it and see if you can bring it to zero. Then count the turns left and right and that should tell you if your barrel is off in reference to your action/scope mount setup. A rifle barrel should be in alignment with the centerline of the action and the scope mount. If you buy even remotely quality equipment like rings and bases and you have this kind of issue it normally boils down to two things. Action machining or barrel machining(or straightness).

I don't buy high end stuff but I like quality. I have never seen rings or bases be the cause of any sight in problem.

Smokestick
01-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Ok gentleman I went and shot at 15 yards and was 8 inches high and 8 inches left, I put my old scope and rings on and shot 4 inches high and 4 left put on old base rings and scope now 3 inches left and 1.5 low not to sure what to make of it

Robinhood
01-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Post 10 and 13 are identical. Since post 10 have you tried to zero your scope?

At 15 yards 1.5 - 2.0 inches low is normal depending on your scope height.

There is way to much information missing for any of us to make any accurate determination of your problem.

You need to tell us everything including bedding and barrel torque. How you prepped the action face, if you had to grind the front base screw so that it did not bottom out on the barrel threads etc.......

cowtownup
01-06-2017, 03:33 PM
I would find mechanical zero of the optic by counting the clicks and getting both the elevation and windage turrets in the middle of the adjustment range. Then, when you try to boresight the scope you should be able to tell pretty quickly if you have an out of line setup. I've not had one bad enough that I couldn't fix or bandage it with XTR rings with the inserts.

You'll get it just take your time and think things through...

Smokestick
01-06-2017, 10:09 PM
I think threads are not true to bore installed different barrel and all lined up thanks for the help

RC20
01-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Thanks for letting us know.

That is unsettling.

Criterion is very good about dealing with the barrel, not sure if they are the same with blanks so would be inters to know if all Criterion or a blank done by someone else and how they handle it.

I have a brother getting into Savages (lured him into it!) I have a personal list of barrel mfgs that are my go to for now.

Criterion is high on the list.

Smokestick
01-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Ok guys barrel is off some how put different barrel on everything lined up fine

Smokestick
01-07-2017, 09:37 PM
I had another gentlemen do the thread and chamber, spoke with him and he said send it to him and he will make it right will let you know how it works out but seems he is first rate

Smokestick
01-07-2017, 10:21 PM
After reading the last post I thought about it, and wanted to make comment that while frustrated I still have great confidence in criterion and my gunsmith everybody is entitled mistake it's how the mistake is handled so unless of thing goes bad with the repair I want to say I see no problem and I gained valuable education will let you all know how it works out but at this team is have the utmost confidence.