PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with bipod. Accuracy reduced.

Pages : [1] 2

Mossyoakglock
12-06-2016, 08:34 PM
I want to get a bipod for my rifles when playing at the range. I've heard that when shooting with a bipod from the bench or other hard surface, accuracy is greatly reduced due to the vibration and bounce that the recoil causes.

If I were to make a thin shooting bag to set the bipod on, would that help with accuracy? I've read that you should rest the bipod on the ground or other soft surface and figured a thin shooting bag would help. I was thinking something like a 12" x 4" x 1" bag to use under the bipod.

Robinhood
12-06-2016, 09:08 PM
The quality of the bipod makes a difference. Proper form can make a world of difference as does a rear bag or rest.

foxx
12-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Yes, to all of above. Something like a flat pillow might help. Question: Why do you want to use a bipod on the bench? Seems to me a bipod is a handy tool that is good to have for tactical situations because you can set up for shooting off a rest immediately, but it's not an ideal rest. It's second-rate, no matter how good it is. Sand bags are far better, but who wants to carry them around in the field?

Don't get me wrong... "Because I want to" is a good enough answer. or"I want to learn to use it well, and practice with it". :)

Mossyoakglock
12-07-2016, 01:40 AM
If I'm sighting in my rifle I shoot off bags to get the best possible accuracy. If we are shooting at our land or the range and just having fun (shooting clay targets, pumpkins, bowling pins, etc) I would use the bipod when I don't want to lug my bags around. It wouldn't be used in a hunting situation and I don't do matches so it's more of a convenience thing when at the range for fun and not sighting in a rifle.

stomp442
12-07-2016, 09:46 AM
How well a bi-pod works also depends very much on how well your stock is made. I never use a bi-pod on a factory tupperware stock because they flex so much and more often than not flex enough to contact the barrel at some point. A nice laminate or composite stock goes a long way when shooting from a bi-pod.

As for a soft surface to shoot from Walmart sells a very simple low cost range bag and it comes with two pistol cases which are basically a canvas out side lining with a wool lining inside that close together with a velcro strap. Those fold out nice a flat and provide a perfect footprint for bipod feet.

This isnt the exact one but has an example of the pistol cases im talking about and how they fold out.
http://www.exploreproducts.com/allen-rangemaster-range-shooting-bag-2204.htm?gclid=CIup4tyb4tACFRKewAod25IOMA

rjtfroggy
12-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Piece of carpet should work.

Mossyoakglock
12-08-2016, 12:13 PM
How well a bi-pod works also depends very much on how well your stock is made. I never use a bi-pod on a factory tupperware stock because they flex so much and more often than not flex enough to contact the barrel at some point. A nice laminate or composite stock goes a long way when shooting from a bi-pod.

As for a soft surface to shoot from Walmart sells a very simple low cost range bag and it comes with two pistol cases which are basically a canvas out side lining with a wool lining inside that close together with a velcro strap. Those fold out nice a flat and provide a perfect footprint for bipod feet.

This isnt the exact one but has an example of the pistol cases im talking about and how they fold out.
http://www.exploreproducts.com/allen-rangemaster-range-shooting-bag-2204.htm?gclid=CIup4tyb4tACFRKewAod25IOMA

Would you consider the 11 Trophy Hunter in .308 stock to be too flimsy and flex too much since it is free floated? When resting on the bags I don't see any flex in the stock but it could be a different story when shooting.

foxx
12-08-2016, 02:23 PM
TH will shoot fine on sand bags if the weight of the rifle is not resting on the bags much forward of the recoil lug. Balancing thereabouts, distributing weight evenly across action and lug should be alright. That just my experience, but with alot of factory stocked rifles.

stomp442
12-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Would you consider the 11 Trophy Hunter in .308 stock to be too flimsy and flex too much since it is free floated? When resting on the bags I don't see any flex in the stock but it could be a different story when shooting.

Yes I would. Set your rifle down on the floor with the bi-pod and stand over it while you push down slightly like say on top of the scope and induce a little bit of torque one way or the other and watch how far the stock will actually flex. I have seen way to many flex enough that the barrel will actually touch one side or the other right at the forend. When shoting from even slightly uneven ground its even worse.

Mossyoakglock
12-09-2016, 03:32 PM
I have actually done that on bags when I first got the rifle and didn't notice much flex. It did flex but with more pressure than I think would be caused by resting on bags or a bipod.

243LPR
12-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Yes, to all of above. Something like a flat pillow might help. Question: Why do you want to use a bipod on the bench? Seems to me a bipod is a handy tool that is good to have for tactical situations because you can set up for shooting off a rest immediately, but it's not an ideal rest. It's second-rate, no matter how good it is. Sand bags are far better, but who wants to carry them around in the field?

Don't get me wrong... "Because I want to" is a good enough answer. or"I want to learn to use it well, and practice with it". :)

I do all my shooting with bipods and a small rubber mat under the feet with bags under the butt stock. Groups of under 1/2" at 200 yds no problem. Bags or bipod,don't think it matters either way. Especially if that's the way you'll be using the gun in the field. Consistency is the key. Only way to see a difference is to try a front rest/bags. Just don't rest the barrel or the front of the stock on the bag,keep them as close to the front of the action as you can.

yobuck
12-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Any kind of a rest is better than none, but i don't really believe bipods were ever intended for accuracy minded bench shooters.
That said they do a pretty good job for hunters who want to zero a gun, and they also do a pretty good job for long range hunting shots.
Muzzel jump is an issue especially from a bench, but it is also an issue with sand bags. How serious an issue it is can also be compounded by the type of terrain you hunt.
Wooded terrain can be especially challenging for long shots using a bipod from a bench.
While your attempting to get back on target after a shot, the target may well have taken a couple steps behind some trees.
Guess what? without a spotter, you wont be finding it again. It happened to a guy I was with just earlier this week.

243LPR
12-10-2016, 12:17 PM
To each his own. I've shot my smallest groups with bipods.

Zero333
12-13-2016, 06:48 PM
It's possible to shoot almost as good off a bi-bod but it takes more effort and good consistent technique.

eddiesindian
12-14-2016, 12:05 AM

Agreed 100%. Patterns don't lie.

eddiesindian
12-14-2016, 12:05 AM
It's possible to shoot almost as good off a bi-bod but it takes more effort and good consistent technique.

Roger that

homefrontsniper
12-14-2016, 12:50 AM

Me 2( bipod ) And cement blocks in ground flush with ground and level. Front and back .

homefrontsniper
12-14-2016, 12:54 AM
Most people. On here just cant shoot. Sorry had to say something. Can't take it anymore .

yobuck
12-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Most people. On here just cant shoot. Sorry had to say something. Can't take it anymore .

Fact is, when you go to bench rest matches where people can shoot, you wont be seeing any bipods being used.
There must be some legitimate reason for that, because most people aren't just willy nilly going to part with the cost of them.
For many of us, good enough is good enough, and for that a bipod is probably all that's necessary for most of our shooting.
I personaly chose not to be the best at anything, because ive heard it can be very lonely at the top. lol

LoneWolf
12-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Everything in this game equates to less accuracy if you don't use it properly. Shooting off a bipod is no different..... The reason BR guys don't use bipods is because it takes more work for the shooter to shoot consistently with them. That's why they use mechanical rests.... Same with F-Class specific Bipods, they are design to take more of the shooters faults out of the equation... I've shot off a Harris Bipod since I started and have tried a number of other bipods, but have always ended up back at the Harris as an all around bipod. I've shot many small groups with it and few without it. Learn how to use a bipod properly and you'll be capable of shooting great with it as long as you have good fundamentals. However, a quality mechanical rest will always be more consistent than what the human body is capable of producing.

Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.