View Full Version : Shooting with bipod. Accuracy reduced.

Pages : 1 [2]

eddiesindian
12-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Everything in this game equates to less accuracy if you don't use it properly. Shooting off a bipod is no different..... The reason BR guys don't use bipods is because it takes more work for the shooter to shoot consistently with them. That's why they use mechanical rests.... Same with F-Class specific Bipods, they are design to take more of the shooters faults out of the equation... I've shot off a Harris Bipod since I started and have tried a number of other bipods, but have always ended up back at the Harris as an all around bipod. I've shot many small groups with it and few without it. Learn how to use a bipod properly and you'll be capable of shooting great with it as long as you have good fundamentals. However, a quality mechanical rest will always be more consistent than what the human body is capable of producing.

Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.

+1 on The Harris. Its all Ive ever used.

Texas10
12-20-2016, 11:19 PM
I have a model BVSS with a heavy laminate stock in 223. Not much kick, but apparently technique still makes a difference. I tried all kinds of techniques using my bi-pod. Sand bags against the legs, carpet, cement, load the bi-pod, don't load it, and this is what I find works best; Shoot it free recoil...that is don't shoulder the stock, keep just off the butt pad and barely cheek it while sighting. Thumb and trigger finger only to break the shot. Let the gun recoil back and catch it with the shoulder.

Forgot to say I'm using a rear bag and squeezing to hold on target while shooting off the bench.

yobuck
12-21-2016, 11:32 AM
I have a model BVSS with a heavy laminate stock in 223. Not much kick, but apparently technique still makes a difference. I tried all kinds of techniques using my bi-pod. Sand bags against the legs, carpet, cement, load the bi-pod, don't load it, and this is what I find works best; Shoot it free recoil...that is don't shoulder the stock, keep just off the butt pad and barely cheek it while sighting. Thumb and trigger finger only to break the shot. Let the gun recoil back and catch it with the shoulder.

Forgot to say I'm using a rear bag and squeezing to hold on target while shooting off the bench.

That system might work for you with your heavy light recoiling gun, and if it does be happy about it.
But don't be trying that even with a 20# gun with lots of recoil. That is if you don't want a scope cut above your shooting eye.
Might work for a 1 shot group, but don't count on any animal hanging around till the bleeding stops. Especially if your on blood thinners. lol