PDA

View Full Version : Proper technique for estimating prairie dog populations ?

Pages : [1] 2

Hammer
07-29-2010, 10:17 AM

What is the proper technique for estimating prairie dog populations ?

EFBell
07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Count your kills and figure you did not get them all?

pdog06
07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah, Id say count your kills from one dogtown and then ATLEAST multiply that number by 10 to get close to the population of that town.

I'll try my best to get a count next weekend ;D

Hammer
07-29-2010, 02:11 PM

When you do get an accurate prairie dog count for that town...

What do you multiply by to get an accurate count for the whole world ?

And how long is that accurate count good for ?

jlcpls
07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
It's a well known theory that there is 1 Alpha Bull for every 25 dogs.

Simply walk straight with your PH until you are charged by an Alpha Dog. Upon dispatching the dog, if you have the nerve, walk until you get your second charge.

Divide the number of paces into 66 and multiply by the area of the town in acres. Multiply this number by 25.

EFBell
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Why do I have the sneaky suspicion that Mr. Hammer already has the answer to within a couple of percentage points?

laportecharlie
07-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Just stay in one area with lots of ammo and shoot until the population is zero.
C

5spd
07-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Just stay in one area with lots of ammo and shoot until the population is zero.

Even when you think its zero there WILL be survivors and next time you go there it will be full again.... :D
One shooter will never make a dent. I have shot 2400+ p-dogs in the last 2 months in the same area & the ground still moves with them like wheat blowing in the wind.

Blue Avenger
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Why do I have the sneaky suspicion that Mr. Hammer already has the answer to within a couple of percentage points?
I believe you may be right.

Bad Water Bill
07-31-2010, 10:41 PM
5 spd Just give us your address and a large group of exterminators just might show up at your front door. :D :D

5spd
08-02-2010, 12:39 AM
5 spd Just give us your address and a large group of exterminators just might show up at your front door. :D :D

The ranches I shoot thousands of p-dogs on wont let me host a shoot & I have been working on them to do that for 3 years now.
They have had to many show up shooters killing cattle, deer, turkeys, antelope and other range damage & not saying anything or making reparations that they have closed off all drive up shooters.
Its sad that the disrespectful shooters ruin it for the honest & respectful hunters/shooters.
They only allow a very few select shooters like me that have access to the ranches problem areas to remove all we can.

Hammer
08-02-2010, 01:03 AM

... very few select shooters like me

Maybe some day I can be a "select shooter". :(

laportecharlie
08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
The ranch that we hunt in South Central Wyoming is getting to be the same way. Gates left open, ruts in the fields, litter, amoung other things is causing ranch management to consider closing all PD shooting (except for a few "select shooters" ie :us) It's a shame but it is a tale you hear most everwhere.
Charlie

ranjan1
08-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Just shoot as many as you can and then realize you didn't make a real dent. I've been hunting this critter since 94 and it's made me spend a lot of my money. Still I'd do it everyday if I could.

Bad Water Bill
08-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Try printing a bunch of these for the rancher. He coppy's the info from their drivers license and now he knows exactly who did what.

http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/idnrback.gif

Blue Avenger
08-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Try printing a bunch of these for the rancher. He copy's the info from their drivers license and now he knows exactly who did what.

http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/idnrback.gif

where is the line for how many cows your going to wound? all it tells me is who was there and when. ;)

Slowpoke Slim
08-02-2010, 09:16 PM

What is the proper technique for estimating prairie dog populations ?

I think you take the number shot, multiply by 2 pies (I like pie!), and round up to the nearest hole number (as in prairie dog hole).

That should be close...

;D ;D

Hammer
08-03-2010, 06:11 AM

... multiply by 2 pies (I like pie!)

Pies should be rounded to 3.

Apple
Pumpkin
Strawberry-Rhubarb
Cherry

Wait, that's four.

Yes, 3.14159 should be rounded to four.

Cobblers are not counted -- just eatened.

MZ5
08-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Pie is very good, indeed!

You a FS guy? Here's a good answer:
http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/30802

pdog06
08-03-2010, 06:49 PM
The ranch that we hunt in South Central Wyoming is getting to be the same way. Gates left open, ruts in the fields, litter, amoung other things

Ill clean all that up and shut the gates next week Charlie ;D

I've been hunting this critter since 94 and it's made me spend a lot of my money.

Yeah, you made me spend alot of my money too ::), but we'll give er hell next week thats for sure. Maybe we'll make a dent in the population. >>>>>Videos and pics to come in a couple weeks...