PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Test

Pages : [1] 2

J.Baker
08-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Looks like I get to test out the turn around time on Minox's warranty service. Bought a couple ZA 5 HD 2-10x40mm scopes that Cameraland had on clearance back in February and the elevation turret on one of them is useless. I can turn it 2-3 complete revolutions in either direction before the crosshair will start moving.

LoneWolf
08-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Should have got a Vortex:behindsofa:

rjtfroggy
08-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Don't feel bad my new Weaver XR 46 is back for warranty work. I got it in late June or early July sited it in and all was well, half way through first BR match elevation went south. Each click produced something other than what was expected. Any where from no movement to over an inch or more, from a 1/8th" @100 adjustment.

wbm
08-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Vortex ain't immune either....had an expensive Viper that was seriously screwed up and went back.

LoneWolf
08-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Vortex ain't immune either....had an expensive Viper that was seriously screwed up and went back.

It was a joke because of all the "craptex" comments around here. They all have flaws, but the non specialized mass produced variants always have more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
08-11-2016, 06:00 PM
I think Lone Wolf was being facetious

wbm
08-11-2016, 07:40 PM
It was a joke because of all the "craptex" comments around here. They all have flaws, but the non specialized mass produced variants always have more!

Kinda figured that out on my own....got to rattle a few cages once in a while. Watching outdoor channel ads you would think Vortex is immune to Armageddon.

So does that mean I was not? Good word though. Had to look it up. :cool:

J.Baker
08-11-2016, 07:47 PM

You stepped in a pile of Lone Wolf's what?

Oh wait, nevermind .... I read that wrong. :victorious:

J.Baker
08-11-2016, 07:55 PM
As for the Minox scopes, they normally sell for around $550 and Doug had them marked down to $250/ea so I snagged their last two. Figured one would make a nice scope for my Axis in .284 Winchester and the other would be my dedicated scope for review rifles. Glass on them is nice and clear (German made Wetzlar lenses), the 5x zoom is nice for a wider range, and they're pretty light so I was more than happy with the first one I put on the 284 and it's held up great so far (knock on wood).

A couple weeks ago I decided to mount the other one on my Axis .223 and when I went to sight it in I found that the elevation was FUBAR. It was weird because I could turn the dial 2-3 full rotations in either direction and it would move smoothly, but the crosshair wouldn't move. I get to where I start to feel some resistance like I'm getting to the end of the adjustment, and it would start moving. So essentially it had about 30 minutes of slop in the turret.

wbm
08-11-2016, 08:04 PM
So essentially it had about 30 minutes of slop in the turret.

Ouch! Went a few rounds with Leupold last year over that kind of issue....well sort of the opposite of yours....move windage 1" and it liked 2-4" better!

sharpshooter
08-11-2016, 08:35 PM
If you need a scope in the mean time, I know where there is a "field tested" Barska you could have for the taking.......;)

wbm
08-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Lol...did you find it in the field and then test it?

J.Baker
08-11-2016, 11:55 PM
I don't think I'm qualified to use a super high end Barska that's been customized (or is that perforated?) for benchrest competition.

J.Baker
08-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Heard back from Minox today. They said they've looked at my scope and that there's nothing wrong with it and the turret adjustments are within allowable specifications. They offered to upgrade me to the newer model that has a 30mm tube and better turrets, but I'd have to pay the difference in price. I passed and told them to send it back and we'll see what happens.

Just in case, when's the next centerfire benchrest match Fred? I might have another scope for Hal to give flying lessons to.

Hotolds442
08-16-2016, 07:16 PM
I bought 3 of those, haven't mounted any to a rifle yet.
How much of a price difference were they seeking for the exchange to the 30mm tube?

wbm
08-16-2016, 09:28 PM
They said they've looked at my scope and that there's nothing wrong with it and the turret adjustments are within allowable specifications.

That is almost verbatim what Leupold told me about the scope I sent back. Frustrating when you KNOW a scope is not right and you get that response.

J.Baker
08-19-2016, 01:59 PM
I bought 3 of those, haven't mounted any to a rifle yet.
How much of a price difference were they seeking for the exchange to the 30mm tube?

I didn't ask as I'm using a DNZ Hunt Master mounts and didn't want to have to spend another $50-60 for a new 30mm set on top of the cost of the scope upgrade.

J.Baker
08-19-2016, 02:00 PM
That is almost verbatim what Leupold told me about the scope I sent back. Frustrating when you KNOW a scope is not right and you get that response.

Yeah, kind of ticked me off but by the same token if it acts fine for them at the time they can't fix it. I like to think USPS banged it around enough on the trip there that it magically fixed itself. lol

J.Baker
08-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Update:

Got my scope back yesterday, so if nothing else I can say Minox is on the ball in terms of turn-around time. Prompt communication and shipping is a rarity these days no mater what industry you're talking about, and Minox definitely impressed me in that regard.

First thing I did was grabbed a mirror to check the tracking and reset the scope to it's mechanical zero and verify reticle movement as the turrets are manipulated. The scope appears to be tracking as it should now so who knows what the issue was before.

Have it mounted back up on the Axis so sometime in the next few days I'll hit the range for sight-in and see how it does.

rjtfroggy
08-20-2016, 06:40 AM
At least the service is good.
I sent the Weaver in a week and a half before you and I haven't heard Jack**** from them, but they cashed the check, and to my surprise it was endorsed by Bushnell Warranty service. So is Weaver now actually Bushnell or is Bushnell just servicing a lot of different brand optics as a side business. Either way lousey communication with customers.