PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunter and Boyd's Stock question

Pages : [1] 2

atomicsmurf
08-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Howdy y'all! Well, I got my hog hunter in and I absolutely love it. My dad ordered one too and he loves it as well. Funny thing we noticed that Savage changed the Indian Chief logo on one. So mine must be a newer model without it! Sad to see it go.

Anyway, we both want to put walnut wood stocks on these rifles. Are the boyd's stocks that fit this model a true drop-in fit, or is there work that needs to be done?

I am torn between the Prairie Hunter and Classic, so if you got picks of either, please post them! I'd love to see them, especially the difference in cheek rest height.

Also trying to get educated in the free floated barrel, bedding thing. Looks like the barrels are free floated in the Tupperware stocks. Would the boyd's need anything done to free float it?

Thanks all! :)

atomicsmurf
08-03-2016, 03:37 PM
One more annoying question, I read somewhere that the Classic stock cheek rest is too high to use the iron sights on the rifle. Is that true?

wbm
08-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Don't know about the classic and iron sights. I have a classic in walnut and don't see why it would prohibit using iron sights. Below are some good shots of the prairie hunter.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?33400-Boyds-Prairie-Hunter-stock

(http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?33400-Boyds-Prairie-Hunter-stock)

foxx
08-03-2016, 05:42 PM
I think iron sights would be fine with the classic or the platinum...

If you want to add checkering to the grip and forearm, I HIGHLY recommend you look at the Platinum style. It costs about $15 more, but the forearm checkering wraps around the bottom of the forearm. MUCH better than the classic, which only gives you a little slice of checkering on the SIDES of the forearm. Makes a BIG difference.

As for free floating, if you can get those models with bull or varmint barrel contour from the factory, they will free float. If you have to suck it up and go with "factory" contour or whatever they are calling the sporter contour, you will have to open the barrel channel substantially. However, all the models can be opened up with a little elbow grease, sand paper and a dowel. Just be sure to seal the wood when done.

atomicsmurf
08-04-2016, 08:54 AM
So the only difference between the Classic and Platinum is the forearm is bigger which allows more checkering. I think either one of those would work.

Both models are offered in the Hog Hunter bull barrel so either should be able to free float. Will I need to do anything to free float it, or should it be drop in and done? Maybe I should just have a gunsmith do it. lol

foxx
08-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Bull barrel will free float the hog hunter barrel.

foxx
08-04-2016, 09:31 AM
All that "free floating" means is the barrel channel is large enough that the barrel does not touch the stock. Boyds understands that all shooters want that, so when they contour the stock's barrel channel for a particular midel such as the hog hunter, they contour it large enough so it free floats the barrel.

atomicsmurf
08-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys. I think I've narrowed it down and altered my wants a bit. I'm leaning toward the higher cheek comb on the Heritage, but I need to try one out locally. It's either that or the Platinum.

Now to decide which recoil pad to get. Limbsaver looks pretty good.

Cmgoff
08-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Just a heads up, Boyd's has made some recent changes and their customer service has severely suffered. Take a look at this website, http://boyds-gunstocks.pissedconsumer.com
I ordered a thumb hole stock from them about a year ago and had some questions and they were very helpful. But this last month I tried ordering two stocks from them and finally had to cancel my order out of frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomicsmurf
08-08-2016, 10:00 AM
Okay, wow. That's a little off-putting. Their website says that they are undergoing expansion and ordering takes longer.
Are there any other hardwood stock options for the Hog Hunter from other companies?

jpdown
08-08-2016, 02:30 PM
The Savage Hog Hunter model has a heavy contour barrel. It should be a drop in for stock with a varmint contour barrel channel. I don't much like the Savage synthetic stocks, especially the cheap factory one that came on the Hog Hunter. Numrich Gun Parts has a number of discontinued/surplus Savage factory walnut and hardwood stocks if you are on a budget and want a good DIY-stock project. The picture below is of a Savage SA, BBR, CF, DBM hardwood stock that I purchase from Numrich Gun Parts for around $82.00. I stripped the fake walnut finish off. I used a dremel tool with sanding wheel to carefully inlet the stock for the top/side bolt release action. I opened up the standard sporter barrel channel using a dowel rod and sand paper so that the heavy contour hog hunter barrel was floated. I upgraded the hard rubber recoil pad to a 1" grind-to-fit Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. I used the dremel tool and sanding wheel to shape it to the stock. The stock is painted with a base coat of Duracoat olive drab and top coated with black lava Krylon webbing paint to add texture for grip and a custom look. The stock already had metal bedding pillars, but it never hurts in my experience to also bed the action and recoil lug and float the tang. Purchase a new style (thicker front lip) metal trigger guard, SA DBM metal frame assembly and metal magazine bottom cap from Savage Arms Parts. Also purchased a Dark Eagle 10R magazine. The muzzle brake was purchased from www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y333/jpdowns54/PICT0003_zpsivynhcwo.jpg (http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/jpdowns54/media/PICT0003_zpsivynhcwo.jpg.html)

atomicsmurf
08-10-2016, 08:35 AM
I love what you did there. It looks great!
What parts would I need to order from savage to convert the Hog to a DMB? And are there aftermarket magazines that will fit it?

jpdown
08-10-2016, 01:33 PM
I went with Savage SA factory bottom metal parts. To convert from a Savage SA, CF, blind magazine stock to a Savage SA, CF, DBM factory or aftermarket stock you will need the new style (thicker front lip) metal trigger guard for a top/side bolt release action. You will need a Savage SA metal frame assembly (surround) with the thinner rear lip and a SA metal mag bottom cap that snaps onto your current blind magazine box and follower. I don't have the current parts numbers. Call Savage with your HH serial number and tell them you want to purchase a new style metal trigger guard for a top/side bolt release action, a metal SA frame assembly and SA metal mag bottom cap to make sure you get the correct parts. You will also need the shorter front action screw. See the following post for more information: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?46198-Choosing-the-Right-DBM-Stock-Bottom-Metal-Parts-Tutorial

Savage now has a 10 round magazine with plastic bottom extension which you can purchase. Dark Eagle Custom offers an aftermarket, all metal 10 round magazine that works with the Savage factory DMB metal frame assembly. Other aftermarket bottom metal part are now available to work with various AR magazines. I went with the Savage factory metal DBM parts so that I could also use a standard 4+1 DBM.

Cmgoff
08-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Accurate mag supplied bottom metal and magazines to savage on the older fcp's. They also have a reasonably priced bottom metal kit that is a drop in for most stocks that are inletted for factory DBM.

Hemi45
08-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Just a heads up, Boyd's has made some recent changes and their customer service has severely suffered. Take a look at this website, http://boyds-gunstocks.pissedconsumer.com
I ordered a thumb hole stock from them about a year ago and had some questions and they were very helpful. But this last month I tried ordering two stocks from them and finally had to cancel my order out of frustration.

Dang, that's a lot of negative feedback. Enough to give me pause as I was going to place an order this weekend. I too have a HH and was looking for a quick & easy drop-in replacement stock. Any other suggestions for a mfgr that's on par with the "old" Boyds that got so much love?

atomicsmurf
08-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Well after researching the conversion to DMB, as much as I would like to, it's a bit price for me and I'm not equipped to make the swap. So I'll have to stick with blindmag.

I have never changed a stock before, does anybody have photos, or how-to's for the hog hunter? It seems pretty straight forward, but how does the blindmag come out? Is it a separate piece to the rest or is everything one piece?

I'm still thinking of going with boyd's despite their recent set backs. I'll just expect a 3 month wait. I've just not found another stock that I like in that price range. I've pretty much settled on the prairie hunter in walnut. Is the forend of the prairie hunter about the same in diameter as the original stock, because it fits my hand pretty good on the original.

atomicsmurf
09-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Okay, one last time, I promise!
Decided to go with the Tacticool/Pro Varmint.
Is this link the correct fit for the Hog Hunter? Is it a drop in fit?
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a17031g203_pro-varmint-savage-10-tbr-blind-mag-short-action-center-feed-bull-barrel-channel-laminate-stock-wblack-textured-paint

foxx
09-04-2016, 12:01 PM
^^^^That is correct.

atomicsmurf
09-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Excellent. Thanks you! I'll place the order soon.
Am I right that the torque inch/lbs is 30-35?

foxx
09-04-2016, 12:58 PM
^^^I don't remember. Should be a warning sticker attached to the stock specifying.

Should be a drop in fit, but they sometimes require minor fitting.