PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunter and Boyd's Stock question

Pages : 1 [2]

jpdown
09-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Boyd's stocks don't come with metal pillars. I would pillar bed your Pro Varmint stock before using 30 in-lbs of torque. Since the Savage tupperware stocks are nearly worthless, I salvaged the metal pillars and recoil pad from the factory hog hunter stock and used to pillar bed the Boyd's stock. The laminated wood is soft and tends to crack. I use a Dremel and small router tool to open up the stock holes. A drill bit will grab and break out large chunks of wood.

atomicsmurf
09-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Thank you so much for that. I probably would have mucked it up had you not said that.
I will be getting the solid walnut, would that make a difference whether or not to use pillars?

jpdown
09-05-2016, 10:54 AM
The walnut is less likely to crack vs the laminate. With wood blind magazine stocks, I've bedded a flat brass washers under the head of the front action screw to keep it from compressing the wood over time.

Grim
09-05-2016, 08:04 PM
It would be easier to do what I did, I just called Savage and ordered a new accustock and all the bottom metal parts, magazines, trigger guard, and action screws to convert my Hog Hunter to a DBM rifle. Simple, painless, and no bedding required.

atomicsmurf
09-06-2016, 08:28 AM
How much did that cost?

jpdown
09-06-2016, 01:16 PM
From your original post your are on a tight budget. Therefore, I would go with the Boyd's stock over the Accustock. And since the hog hunter is a top/side bolt release action, the Accustock won't fit because it inlet for a BBR action and uses a different recoil lug.

If you want to go with a Savage SA, TBR, CF, DBM stock, then you need the following metal bottom parts. A new-style (thicker front lip) metal trigger guard for top/side bolt release action - $26, a metal SA DBM frame assembly (surround) - $78 and a metal SA magazine bottom cap which snaps onto your current magazine box and follower - $19, plus a shorter front action screw - $2. I would call Savage Arms customer service with your rifle serial number to make sure you order the correct parts to convert to the metal Savage DBM assembly for a side bolt release action. You may need to do some minor wood and/or bedding work on a Boyd's aftermarket stock to make sure the barrel and tang are floated. And to get the bottom metal setting flush with the bottom of the stock. Use several coats of Tru-Oil gunstock finish to reseal the wood and rematch the finish. Also think about having the optional 1" recoil pad added at the factory by Boyd's. It is cheaper and much easier than upgrading to a a better recoil pad after the fact.

Much of the same goes if you decide to go with the blind magazine version of the Boyd's stock. You will need a new-style (thicker front lip) metal trigger guard for top/side bolt release action. And some minor wood work will be needed to fit the L-clip under the action to hold the blind magazine in place.

atomicsmurf
09-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Got it. :) I'm ordering the boyd's pro varmint. I'll let you know how it goes installing it!

Grim
09-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Atomicsurf,

Sorry, did not see your post till just now asking the price. Doesn't matter though as I discovered that the Accustock will not fit the Hog Hunter barrel lug and Savage should not have sent it to me. Luckily the bottom metal, magazines, and trigger guard will still work. Was on the phone with the parts department this morning and they are sending me a shipping label to send the stock back and I am going to pay the difference for an HS Precision stock instead and only that stock or the laminated stock on the target models are the only stocks that Savage keeps in their inventory that will fit as a drop in with out mods.

Grim
09-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Atomicsurf,

Sorry, did not see your post till just now asking the price. Doesn't matter though as I discovered that the Accustock will not fit the Hog Hunter barrel lug and Savage should not have sent it to me. Luckily the bottom metal, magazines, and trigger guard will still work. Was on the phone with the parts department this morning and they are sending me a shipping label to send the stock back and I am going to pay the difference for an HS Precision stock instead and only that stock or the laminated stock on the target models are the only stocks that Savage keeps in their inventory that will fit as a drop in with out mods.