PDA

View Full Version : 12fv 223 owners start me with a good load...

Pages : 1 2 [3]

darkker
07-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Of course it's not magic everywhere, and for those that don't extend their range, it is probably not an issue unless they're running on the ragged edge at winter time temperatures.

As you know, for long range you want those velocities to be as tight as possible.

Additionally, I'd venture to guess if your not smack dab right in the middle of an accuracy node, a slight variance in pressure and velocity will cause accuracy and poi to shift considerably.

Oddly I don't typically find an issue in winter, but heat; but perhaps.
Another oddity, my favorite very long range load is, by the numbers, not terribly impressive for ES. Now it certainly could be that It's close enough for my skill level, and can't discern the difference. Have a load for my 204 that is spooky accurate to 300, not terribly long I grant you, that has an ES of 105!!

I'm torn on the last point, but from what we've done so far, the dwell time is more critical to the harmonics than the actual pressure and thus velocity. Have several traces where the pressure differential is very minor, but the proximity to a node(as modeling predicts on the PT II) is greatly changed.

For someone who is genuinely curious, the Pressure Trace II system is phenominal at debunking what you *THINK* you know. The unfortunate side effect is that it will leave you with a great many more questions, that don't have simple or easy answers.

firefinder
08-09-2016, 08:19 AM
55 grain Nosler varmegedden over 25 grains of H335.

Fotheringill
08-09-2016, 04:14 PM
I don't have your exact rifle, but rather a F/TR 30" barrel 7 twist.

Best for me is Berger 73 gr with 23.8 Varget
Second best is Sierra Match King 69 with 25.0 Varget

As you know, each rifle is different and will have different result. Good luck and good hunting for a bullet and a charge.