PDA

View Full Version : Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Newsshooter
08-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Yea, I have 5-6 reloads on my hornady 6.5 brass and a buddy has more than that, I've only tossed a few for loose primer pockets.

CBryars2
08-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Interesting, when I sent mine in, was told they had barrels. Now 3 different customer service calls with 3 reps, all said they have to be made. Either bad info, or the 24" blanks are there, but they still have to ream, etc.

That seems to be the case from what I'm hearing.

samurai
08-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Never thought I would say this. but I've decided to sell my 6.5. Too much company "mis-information" and lack of customer service.

Kingair001
08-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Never thought I would say this. but I've decided to sell my 6.5. Too much company "mis-information" and lack of customer service.
Actually there is no mis information

The barrel is 22" and marketing posted 24" for whatever reason

And Savage gives you the option to get a 24" barrel installed for free on your Stealth . . .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

samurai
08-28-2016, 11:30 AM
My statement is based on 3-4 phone conversations with customer service from the very beginning of this issue of 22" vs 24" barrel length-20 minutes arguing about the "published" vs actual length, availability of 24" barrels(1 week or 4 week) and the failure to return messages among other things. Call it what you will- I thought misinformation was being nice. My gun is now shooting 1/2 MOA, but I'm 67 ( a satisfied Savage customer for 30+ years) and don't want to wait out for them to decide if and when they can fix this gun - LOL

Kingair001
08-28-2016, 12:39 PM
My statement is based on 3-4 phone conversations with customer service from the very beginning of this issue of 22" vs 24" barrel length-20 minutes arguing about the "published" vs actual length, availability of 24" barrels(1 week or 4 week) and the failure to return messages among other things. Call it what you will- I thought misinformation was being nice. My gun is now shooting 1/2 MOA, but I'm 67 ( a satisfied Savage customer for 30+ years) and don't want to wait out for them to decide if and when they can fix this gun - LOL
Well than all I can say that you are correct and I respect your point of view

And if you like you rifle like it is . . .

Keith_A
08-28-2016, 05:07 PM

Hi Samurai,
I understand your frustration in dealing with Savage Customer Service. Unfortunately in most company's, folks working in Customer Service are "low on the Totem Pole" and have little authority. I encourage you to take a little time and write a sincere letter with your concerns (and being a long-time Savage owner) and mail your letter to:

Al Kasper - President/COO
Savage Arms
100 Springdale Road
Westfield, MA 01085

You might also send a copy of your letter to:

Brian Herrick - VP Marketing & Sales
Savage Arms
100 Springdale Road
Westfield, MA 01085

Kingair001
08-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Hi Samurai,
I understand your frustration in dealing with Savage Customer Service. Unfortunately in most company's, folks working in Customer Service are "low on the Totem Pole" and have little authority. I encourage you to take a little time and write a sincere letter with your concerns (and being a long-time Savage owner) and mail your letter to:

Al Kasper - President/COO
Savage Arms
100 Springdale Road
Westfield, MA 01085

You might also send a copy of your letter to:

Brian Herrick - VP Marketing & Sales
Savage Arms
100 Springdale Road
Westfield, MA 01085
Great idea !

I would go for it

And send them certified so you know that arrive 😉

buoux308
08-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Savage received my rifle today and the included note said that I would like the 24" barrel installed.

But I also asked that if a 26" barrel option was available I would be more than happy to pay $$ to have it installed instead.

What do you think my chances are at getting the longer barrel? Fingers crossed.....

Keith_A
08-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Savage received my rifle today and the included note said that I would like the 24" barrel installed.

But I also asked that if a 26" barrel option was available I would be more than happy to pay $$ to have it installed instead.

What do you think my chances are at getting the longer barrel? Fingers crossed.....

Hi buoux308,

Good idea asking about a 26" barrel. I think I'll also inquire about a 26" upgrade. If they are making these barrels one at a time per order, I'd think it would only be the extra time it takes to machine the barrel 2" longer. On the other hand, if they are trying to make more money off of us, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted $100 - $ 200 more. We'll see....

Keith

CBryars2
08-31-2016, 04:13 PM
New Savage 110ba stealth 300 win mag showing up on GunBroker - link - http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/581090559

CBryars2
08-31-2016, 04:19 PM
Called Savage today - Rifle being function fired, if passes, next step is shipping. Will call Friday to see if shipped.

CBryars2
09-04-2016, 12:38 AM
Update - Called Savage, rifle passed test firing, on it's way back sporting a 24" barrel, exactly 4 weeks and 1 day after they received it. Due to arrive in 4 days due to Labor day.

Can't wait to try it out!

CBryars2
09-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Well she finally arrived - fresh with a 24" non-flutted barrel (as I requested). Balance is wonderful and the barrel is nice and stout. My suppressor should be out of tax-stamp jail in 4-6 weeks and it will look great on that barrel. Cleaned with Butch's, then J&B, then Hoppe's, finally light oil. Used my 20 dollar Amazon "bore scope" to check between stages and it definitely looks much nicer. No obvious tool marks, etc.

Checked feed and with magpul mags still getting about 20% feeds where I have to back off a little, then push forward, it seats fine then. Tried a little graphite in magpul, did not seem to help.

Made bore pictures and shots of new barrel, will try and post tomorrow.

Really happy how it looks and feels. If it shots as well, I will be a happy camper.

Did buy Fit to Finish and loaded 50 rounds. Will test fire and determine whether to start with #1 or #3 depending on test results.

Keith_A
09-09-2016, 01:02 AM
Well she finally arrived - fresh with a 24" non-flutted barrel (as I requested). Balance is wonderful and the barrel is nice and stout. My suppressor should be out of tax-stamp jail in 4-6 weeks and it will look great on that barrel. Cleaned with Butch's, then J&B, then Hoppe's, finally light oil. Used my 20 dollar Amazon "bore scope" to check between stages and it definitely looks much nicer. No obvious tool marks, etc.

Checked feed and with magpul mags still getting about 20% feeds where I have to back off a little, then push forward, it seats fine then. Tried a little graphite in magpul, did not seem to help.

Made bore pictures and shots of new barrel, will try and post tomorrow.

Really happy how it looks and feels. If it shots as well, I will be a happy camper.

Did buy Fit to Finish and loaded 50 rounds. Will test fire and determine whether to start with #1 or #3 depending on test results.

Congrats on finally getting your rifle back. Any idea on the weight difference between the standard fluted barrel and your non-fluted barrel?? What scope and ring (height) are you currently using?
Keith

LoneWolf
09-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Interested to see a video of someone going through a mag or two and see the, feeding, extraction, and ejection function on one of these tuned up Savage Actions! This has always been where I've found the action design to fall short and would love to have an option to put together a reliable low budget trainer set up.

bearcatrp
09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Have read from others the cycling is better than the standard savages. Have seen a RPR cycle fast through a mag with no jamming. Hoping the stealths are the same.

CBryars2
09-10-2016, 11:49 PM
I'll weigh tomorrow and get you an answer.

I use a Bushnell 4.5 x 30 Elite with GAP reticle on a Larue QD. It is excellent and zero is spot on even though it does duty on 4 rifles. The Larue is an AR type mount so it sits high. about 2.5 over center of the bore. My maon criteria was to get 1 good scope that I can use on 6.5, 300 WM & .338 Lapua. Handles them all well. My eye site is not the greatest, so scope maybe over kill but it works for me.

Hope that helps.

CBryars2
09-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Never done a video, may try to get you one when we go to Talladega in 2 weeks. On the issues I am having it is on the 140 ELD-M Hornady & my handload 130 Berger's. The PMag is better than to stock mag, not tried the AICS yet.

About every 4th round (10 shot Mag) I get the round mostly chambered, then have to back off about 1" and slide back in, no other issues. Still diagnosing, it may be angle related. I tinker so to me a fairly minor issue. Wife has RPR 6.5 and I have seen the same issue, but not as often (pretty rare).

Anyone else seeing this?

samurai
09-11-2016, 09:30 AM
You will happy to hear that we received a new 6.5 from a distributor with the correct 24" barrel-may have to replace the one I sold-LOL