PDA

View Full Version : Build Time

Pages : [1] 2 3

Anschutz
06-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm finally starting to piece together everything for a build. My plan so far is to take my savage stagger feed short action .243 and build a LR deer and below gun. I've researched this several times but life got in the way (read: met an awesome girl and put a ring on it) but now I'm at a place where I can start the gathering of parts. Here's what I have come up with so far.

Action: Savage
Stock: B&C Medalist black with red webbing
Barrel: Shilen, McGowen, or XCALIBER varmint profile .243 win 1-8 twist 26" still researching
Scope: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA*
Rings: Not sure, but a EGW 20moa base for sure
Bipod: Again I'm not sure.

I reload, so ammo won't be a problem. I plan on shooting the 87 vmax to 105gr offerings. I'd like to throw 115s but the twist needed seems like it would destroy lesser bullets.

I'm gone until November or so, so lead times aren't much of a problem. Do any of you have suggestions?*

Thanks,
Zach

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
06-01-2016, 11:04 AM
delete

Anschutz
06-01-2016, 12:28 PM
I live in Colorado Springs and I'd like to get into coyote hunting and try to draw an antelope tag. This is the main purpose for this build. I also like to reach out there on the range and I'd like to be able to get consistent hits out to 1k on coyote sized targets. I'm not opposed to weight and this will mainly be a gun for open areas. I have a bow and 45-70 for closer quarters. I've been looking at ditching the 20moa base and going with the Burris Signature rings with inserts. I was already looking at a new barrel nut and recoil lug. I took those as a given for an accurate rifle. When I shot smallbore prone matches I always liked a little more length on the bolt for easier operation so I'll look into a bolt handle. I used to try all sorts of stuff. Even ran a nut with a piece of brass hot glued to it for a few matches. If I can find a threaded bolt I'll probably tinker with some designs.

schnyd112
06-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Run the bullets you are looking at through a ballistics app. I am not positive, but I don't think you need to cant your scope on a .243 to get to 1000.

Anschutz
06-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Run the bullets you are looking at through a ballistics app. I am not positive, but I don't think you need to cant your scope on a .243 to get to 1000.
Why stop at 1000? I did run a Calc for 6000ft elevation on a 105gr berger at 2900 fps mv. At 1000 it's 24 moa up but that load is supersonic to 1600.

Dave Hoback
06-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Delete

Anschutz
06-01-2016, 10:32 PM
That's just a point where we're going to have to disagree. Game animals at 1k? Yes, totally unethical with a .243. Coyotes? It's got the gas and the accuracy. I'm not saying that this would be the norm but I know coyotes like to hang up sometimes and should that happen, dead dog.

foxx
06-01-2016, 10:38 PM
Real HUNTERS (men) would not have to take such a long shot.

Now, sit back and watch the sparks fly! :boxing:

Anschutz
06-01-2016, 10:55 PM
I'm not going to get in an argument over this on the Internet. And speaking of sparks flying. My range has steel scuba tanks out to almost 1200. Maybe I can make some sparks on that.

Dave Hoback
06-02-2016, 07:41 AM
I'm not going to get in an argument over this on the Internet. And speaking of sparks flying. My range has steel scuba tanks out to almost 1200. Maybe I can make some sparks on that.

Well, being that scuba tanks are made off aluminum, I don't believe sparks are possible. Lol!

I'm not understanding what you are saying here. You agree, no game animals at that range. But is it your contention, that coyotys are considered a varmint, so it doesn't matter if you take unethical shots at them?

Anschutz
06-02-2016, 07:50 AM
I'm not saying that a coyote doesn't require an ethical shot. I just don't consider them a game animal (something I'd eat). I'm also not saying that I have a goal to shoot a coyote that far but if it happens that way I know that the .243 will have more than enough energy and accuracy to do the job. Can I go out right now with this rifle that doesn't exist yet and make that shot? Probably not. I was at one point a nationally ranked rifle shooter and competed in college so the ability to shoot is there but I'm not confident in my wind calling to do it yet. And FYI you can get a steel or aluminum scuba tank.

stomp442
06-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Couple things on your last post. Your not going to, or rather, SHOULD NOT be thinking of taking game at any distance even CLOSE to 1000yds with a .243win. Don't get me wrong, I am in love* with 243. 308 parent case necked down to 6mm? Oh yeah, I'm there! But it would not be an ethical shot. IMHO, game at that distance, even coyote size, 6.5mm and up should be looked at. And it should have a magnum case with ALOT of powder behind it. Next are the rings you mentioned. The Burris rings, and any rings with inserts, are not associated with accuracy. Inserts do not provide a scope with the kind of return to zero needed for long distance precision. They just aren't going to cut it. So often, people spend money on a rifle & scope, then put junk in between. Now your choice in the EGW base is fantastic! The EGW base is a precision machined chunk of 7075 T6 aluminum, designed for a long distance set up. But I would take a second thought on your ring choice. Some others to think about, if you prefer the horizontal lockup style, are Badger Ord., Seekins, TPS & Leupold Mk4.

I disagree with almost this entire post. You don't need a magnum to go 1000 yards on deer sized game. I've done it and seen it done a handfull of times with a simple .260 Remington and the deer died just as quickly as if it was shot with a 300 Win Mag. The .243 should work extremely well on coyotes and other vermin at that range. Also, the Burris rings are just about the best rings you can buy. The inserts not only hold the scope securely they center the scope within the rings so that there is no binding and no ring marks when you pull them off. I have them mounted on every rifle I own and have never had a problem with them.

Here is a nice review of the rings and the features they have.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/burris-signature-zee-rings/

Anschutz
06-02-2016, 09:44 AM
I disagree with almost this entire post. You don't need a magnum to go 1000 yards on deer sized game. I've done it and seen it done a handfull of times with a simple .260 Remington and the deer died just as quickly as if it was shot with a 300 Win Mag. The .243 should work extremely well on coyotes and other vermin at that range. Also, the Burris rings are just about the best rings you can buy. The inserts not only hold the scope securely they center the scope within the rings so that there is no binding and no ring marks when you pull them off. I have them mounted on every rifle I own and have never had a problem with them.

Here is a nice review of the rings and the features they have.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/burris-signature-zee-rings/
Amen brother. If you like long range coyotes, go watch TheDartman76 on YouTube.

Dave Hoback
06-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Anschutz, concerning the scuba tank, I referenced that as a joke. Thought I was clear with "LOL" at the end. But, please forgive me if you took offense to it. Was not my intention. Take care.

Anschutz
06-02-2016, 10:17 AM
No offense taken. I really like your build. It is pretty nice. I like the your choice in caliber if I was hunting larger game with this rifle. I still may get a spare bolt and barrel in 300 wsm down the road for larger stuff.

foxx
06-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I used to be a hunter. Then I learned how to shoot. Now I don't even bother to get outta bed anymore. LOL

Anschutz
06-03-2016, 04:59 AM
Just ordered a barrel. McGowen sendero profile, 1-8, 26 in.

Hotolds442
06-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Ok. If you say so. Each of us is free to choose whatever we wish. A question was asked, and I responded with an opinion. I don't ask questions on forums. I do research, and make my choice. My choices are based on many factors besides what is written in one article, including price, and even what I know about physics....(i.e., "What Goes Up, Must Come Down!"). So, I respect your decision to choose what you believe is correct. But, I wasn't asking for your opinion, nor was I looking to debate. Someone else asked. So by all means, give your answer, but no need to direct it towards me. Ok friend?

Anschuts, concerning the scuba tank, I referenced that as a joke. Thought I was clear with "LOL" at the end. But, please forgive me if you took offense to it. Was not my intention. Take care.

You should probably think about stepping off of your high horse. You're in a discussion forum. If you think your opinion isn't open for discussion, you should probably just keep it to yourself. Between your other antagonistic post and this one, you're not making many friends here.

Robinhood
06-03-2016, 08:19 PM
According to his PM to me he gets run off many forums.

schnyd112
06-03-2016, 09:24 PM
There are plenty of people that kill coyotes at 1000+ with a .243. I know for sure I have seen at least one guy that posts videos on Utoob. I bet it is harder to get video of kills at that distance than it is to actually get kills.

I shoot bunnies with a .22, is that inhumane? At 100 yards there is WAY less energy coming from a .22 than there is from a .243 at 1000, as in 79-100 ft/lbs vs 700 ft/lbs. If you put the hole in the right place it isn't going far. Flight time is going to be over 1 second, but with 105g bergers you are still supersonic so the bullet will hit before they ever hear the sound.

Now, as far as calling them? I have rarely had a shot of more than 300 yards. Them song dogs are sneaky. I am going to try and really stretch the legs on my .260 this fall as I didn't draw any big game tags. I will have no qualms taking long shots if the opportunity presents itself.