PDA

View Full Version : Savage Stealth Review

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rondogg
03-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Hello, I have not seen any discussion on this topic, if there is, can someone help me find more information.
So I am sure everyone is wondering about the new Savage Stealth, and how it will match up and perform against the Ruger Precision. So I will ask the question?? What are the groups thoughts on this new set up for Savage??
I had the opportunity to purchase the Ruger Precision 308 caliber in late 2015, and after about 300 rounds I sold it. I have plans to purchase/order the Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmor and don't want to make a mistake. Any help from the group would be appreciated.

Russ77
03-07-2016, 06:03 AM
I've seen a few short videos from shot show but that's about it. What did you not like about the Ruger??

GaCop
03-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Sounds like the "Ruger Precision" wasn't so precise.........:whistle:

bearcatrp
03-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Don't think the stealths are the model to compete with the RPR. Pretty sure the ashberry is though. Looks almost like it. You can go on drake associates web site to get an idea of whats coming out with the stealth. https://www.drakeassociates.us/savage-history/

Pet-Rock
03-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Don't think the stealths are the model to compete with the RPR. Pretty sure the ashberry is though. Looks almost like it. You can go on drake associates web site to get an idea of whats coming out with the stealth. https://www.drakeassociates.us/savage-history/

Considering Ashbury Precision's most economical chassis runs ~$1000 on its own, thats not in the same class as the RPR.

I believe the Stealth is direct competition to the RPR and should give it a very good run for its $$

The short action calibers (308 and 6.5 Creed) will be available for an MSRP of ~$1200, that would mean a street price of possibly ~$1000.

I was always a little skeptical of the RPR, as its a bit of a jump for Ruger to maintain extremely tight tolerances when most of their firearms are investment cast.

Now, thats not to say that I dont like Ruger. Its just the opposite in fact, as I own a Mini-14 and a SR9C.

I believe the reviews to come on the Stealth will show very strong support for it from the public.

DrThunder88
03-07-2016, 03:13 PM
I suspect it won't be an RPR-slayer if it's even a blip on Ruger's radar. Other than the new chassis, the Stealth doesn't seem to be bringing much new to the table. I've heard promo material stating that the action is "blueprinted", which, as far as I know, is unique. However, a good deal of Savage's marketing hype in general revolves around the floating bolt head not needing blueprinting.

bearcatrp
03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Not sure how accurate this thread is of the ashberry on ar15.com, http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_3/3485_New_Savage_Precision_Rifle.html , but looks like $1700 bucks. Both Drake Associates and Savage said release of the stealth is spring for $1200, as was posted above. The design is different from the RPR and ashberry. Time will tell when these hit the street. Cabelas will be releasing a 10T in 6.5cm shortly. Will be a good rifle to build off provided its as good as the 308 version. I have the 308 version and its a tac driver.

Rondogg
03-07-2016, 09:59 PM
I currently run a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 308 and that rifle is very accurate. I have been out to 570yds on a 2ft x 2ft steel and hit 4 out of 5 times. The RPR was supposed to be an out of the box .5 MOA rifle. I feel I broke the rifle in correctly, however after the initial break in and then actual range time began, the rifle never performed at 200yds and I never got a group that I was proud of. I am new to this forum but will post some range pics of both my Sig and the RPR. Thanks

Rondogg
03-07-2016, 10:07 PM

So you are saying the Stealth can not compete with the RPR? From my readings this is Savages answer to the RPR. I have read the info from drakes website. Initial review appears to a better build than Ruger. We shall see what the range reports show.

bearcatrp
03-08-2016, 09:25 AM
I didn't say it couldn't compete. The stealth rifle system should be an awesome rifle. Design wise, its totally different. The ashberry looks almost identical if the pic shown in the ar15.com thread is correct. Am glad I didn't jump on the RPR bandwagon. My 10T is one hell of a rifle. Was thinking of getting a 6.5cm when cabalas released the 10T 6.5cm but will hold out until the stealth rifle gets released. I talked with drake associates a bit after I ordered my chassis from them about the stealth rifle. He pointed out about every detail of the stealth. This rifle should put the RPR in the dust. Just wish they would get released soon. Came across this listing while snooping around the net for any more information on the stealth. 1st pic I have seen. http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SV10BAST6.5CR

bc83
03-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Any idea when they are going to be released?

bearcatrp
03-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Have talked to both drake associates and savage. Would only say spring time release.

shoalwater
03-08-2016, 05:57 PM
It's like 85 degrees hear in south Texas that seems like spring to me. [emoji1]

Rondogg
03-08-2016, 10:17 PM
I didn't say it couldn't compete. The stealth rifle system should be an awesome rifle. Design wise, its totally different. The ashberry looks almost identical if the pic shown in the ar15.com thread is correct. Am glad I didn't jump on the RPR bandwagon. My 10T is one hell of a rifle. Was thinking of getting a 6.5cm when cabalas released the 10T 6.5cm but will hold out until the stealth rifle gets released. I talked with drake associates a bit after I ordered my chassis from them about the stealth rifle. He pointed out about every detail of the stealth. This rifle should put the RPR in the dust. Just wish they would get released soon. Came across this listing while snooping around the net for any more information on the stealth. 1st pic I have seen. http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SV10BAST6.5CR

Thanks for the info. I also spoke to Chris Drake about the chassis and the set up with Savage. I placed my order for the 6.5 Creedmor on Monday. I think the pic from lipseys is correct.

bearcatrp
03-08-2016, 11:03 PM
You ordered a stealth in 6.5cm from Drake Associates? What was the cost and how long before delivery?

Russmerle
03-09-2016, 09:19 AM
I suspect it won't be an RPR-slayer if it's even a blip on Ruger's radar. Other than the new chassis, the Stealth doesn't seem to be bringing much new to the table. I've heard promo material stating that the action is "blueprinted", which, as far as I know, is unique. However, a good deal of Savage's marketing hype in general revolves around the floating bolt head not needing blueprinting.

Why fix it if it ain't broke? even though they're floating bolt heads; they can still be improved with lapping the lugs for a perfect matched fit.

Newsshooter
03-09-2016, 01:05 PM
I currently run a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 308 and that rifle is very accurate. I have been out to 570yds on a 2ft x 2ft steel and hit 4 out of 5 times. The RPR was supposed to be an out of the box .5 MOA rifle. I feel I broke the rifle in correctly, however after the initial break in and then actual range time began, the rifle never performed at 200yds and I never got a group that I was proud of. I am new to this forum but will post some range pics of both my Sig and the RPR. Thanks

No offense but that is a 4 MOA target, pretty big and easy to hit, .5 MOA would be much much smaller. The design of the ruger action seems to be pretty popular and there's already a bunch of aftermarket parts being made for it. Haven't gotten behind one yet but they seem to have produced a decent rifle for the price.

Russmerle
03-09-2016, 01:13 PM
No offense but that is a 4 MOA target, pretty big and easy to hit, .5 MOA would be much much smaller. The design of the ruger action seems to be pretty popular and there's already a bunch of aftermarket parts being made for it. Haven't gotten behind one yet but they seem to have produced a decent rifle for the price.

I was thinking same thing. With SMK GMM my SSG3k shoots 1/2 MOA easily...

Rondogg
03-09-2016, 11:36 PM
You ordered a stealth in 6.5cm from Drake Associates? What was the cost and how long before delivery?

I didn't order from Drake, they only supplied Savage the chassis. Through my employer I am able to order from Savage. There is a waiting period, but hope it's not that long.

Rondogg
03-09-2016, 11:48 PM

No offense taken. As I mentioned the RPR was supposed to be a .5 MOA rifle. At 200yds, the RPR in 308 that I had would not group anywhere near that.