PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10ba 6.5CM

Pages : [1] 2

doctnj
01-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Well looks like the value of my rifle just took a nose dive. That is if they actually bring the CM into production. Funny thing is, they brought the 6.5CM to shot before this year. Thats where mine came from. Gotta wonder why they didnt move it into production and catch the beginning of the wave. Unless they saw the RPR coming out and knew it couldnt compete in its current form. Back when I was researching buying the one I own. Almost no one that answered the phone at Savage even knew they had made any. I guess the fact that mine apparently was built in the custom shop and not a production line item might be neat but still the value is crashing I would expect. I was going to try and keep it stock and leave it in the safe after verifying it was a bug hole shooter or nearly so. If indeed the production line starts cranking them out I might as well shoot the hell out of it.

And in the review of SHOT they talked about the trigger. Ill say this and it might just be my perception or maybe an exception, but the trigger on that CM is the lightest accutrigger I own. Ive not ever pulled on the red blade as this is not one, but its light alright.

Its not in the same field as the RPR as far as weight goes. So it sounds like they went back to the drawing board on the fore end. Im pretty sure before the current production model of the 110ba there was three previous designs that were built until it morphed into what is offered currently.

WinnieTheBoom
01-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Interesting. I remember back when you first posted it thinking that it sounded awfully similar to the RPR, but it's interesting that they didn't move forward with production until this year. I would recommend shooting the crap out of that thing, because it's a great rifle to own any way you look at it!

doctnj
01-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Yeah now I can look at doing some mods later and not have any feelings about it. It will still have a nice story. I had the opportunity to buy this one or the rpr that Remington's ceo shot for the article when they first broke the story of the rpr. They both were priced similarly. I was looking at future ROI possibilities. (justification and rationalization for purchase). I try anyhow to have some value left after purchase. Wrong choice in this case. It happens. I see an sss trigger going on asap. In fact one is on the way for my 110ba 338 and if they are compatible, it may take a hard left and jump on the CM when it arrives as the lapua is down till the scope comes in.

SlowTrigger
01-22-2016, 06:35 PM
I don't think the BA and the RPR are in the same ballpark. I recently bought a RPR in 308 and the thing is a piece of ****e. My Savage 12 F/TR is far, far better than the RPR and I'm sure the BA is too. Just MHO.

bearcatrp
01-22-2016, 11:02 PM
I don't think the BA and the RPR are in the same ballpark. I recently bought a RPR in 308 and the thing is a piece of ****e. My Savage 12 F/TR is far, far better than the RPR and I'm sure the BA is too. Just MHO.

What turned you off for the RPR? Got to handle the 6.5CM my brother in law bought but haven't seen them in action. Looks well built. I was considering the RPR in 308 or 6.5 but now that the stealths will be coming out, want to see them. My 10T is just awesome so am hoping savage did a great job on these.

J.Baker
01-23-2016, 04:50 AM
I haven't liked the 110BA since the first time I saw it. The new 10/110 BA Stealth is what the 110 BA should have been from the start, but Savage was in full-on Tacti-fool mode at the time. It's like they did everything they could to make it look as big and bulky as a M249 or M60.

As far as the new BA Stealth comparing to the RPR we'll have to wait and see. I think the RPR has more to offer out-of-the-box, but the Savage has the benefit of aftermarket triggers and pre-fit barrels being readily available, plus the two long-action calibers.

SlowTrigger
01-25-2016, 02:51 PM
What turned you off for the RPR? Got to handle the 6.5CM my brother in law bought but haven't seen them in action. Looks well built. I was considering the RPR in 308 or 6.5 but now that the stealths will be coming out, want to see them. My 10T is just awesome so am hoping savage did a great job on these.

The RPR feels good and also, IMO, looks good as well. However, there have been many instances where people have bought the .308 model and can't get them to shoot precisely, myself included. After shooting it a few times I've given up on it because it prints roughly about 1.5 to 2." groups with match ammo, which I believe is unacceptable for a rifle that is marketed as a "precision" rifle. There are others who are very satisfied with their RPR, and good for them, but if you check the sniper's hide thread on it you will see what I'm talking about. I was expecting a 1/2 MOA gun...

bearcatrp
01-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Have heard that on the 308 barrels. Have read some changed out there barrels and now one hell of a tac driver. Wish ruger would allow special orders to order without a barrel.

SlowTrigger
01-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Seems like the people who went with the Creed are having the best results out of the box. Wish I'd gone that route ...

Texas10
01-26-2016, 12:36 AM
At the range today and saw a fellow shooter again who special ordered a Savage FLCP-SR in 6.5CM a couple months back. Only $785.00 and shooting factory ammo into overlapping holes at 100 yds. I didn't get to see his 300 yd targets but I did get a look through his very nice glass. Some kind of military grade sniper (wish I'd got a pic of it) scope he paid $1900 for. Very nice set-up he intends to hunt with.

WinnieTheBoom
01-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Seems like the people who went with the Creed are having the best results out of the box. Wish I'd gone that route ...

I'm not sure what it is or was about the RPRs, but my .243 will put them in the same hole at 100 yards. The 1:7 twist barrel loves 115 DTACs and it just hammers them. I have heard that the .308s can be a little finicky, but nothing I'm sure a good handload wouldn't fix. You may have to play around with bullet weights a little bit to find the right combo, but I've yet to see one not shoot after a little fine tuning.

I'm planning to order a .260 barrel for it here in the near future, so I'll be interested to see how that shoots.

SlowTrigger
01-26-2016, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure what it is or was about the RPRs, but my .243 will put them in the same hole at 100 yards. The 1:7 twist barrel loves 115 DTACs and it just hammers them. I have heard that the .308s can be a little finicky, but nothing I'm sure a good handload wouldn't fix. You may have to play around with bullet weights a little bit to find the right combo, but I've yet to see one not shoot after a little fine tuning.

I'm planning to order a .260 barrel for it here in the near future, so I'll be interested to see how that shoots.

Unfortunately I don't handload, so I'm at the mercy of factory ammo. My plan is to rebarrel the RPR and maybe go with a CM 6.5 this time around.

bearcatrp
01-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Was thinking if the 308 comes available first, snag it and rebarrel for 6.5CM if its not to expensive. Also though of getting a savage stealth in 6.5CM if they do actually come out next month but have to look it over and see what the street price will be.

Rosco
01-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Good buddy of mine was shooting .7 and .8's out the Box with the 6.5 Creedmore RPR. In the end, he didn't care for the rifle and sold it and decided on a Remage build.

jetcycles
01-29-2016, 10:48 AM
If I had to choose between the 110BA Stealth and an RPR, both chambered in 6.5CM, my personal pick would be for the Savage. I've been shooting a .308 10FCP-HS for several years, and I've been behind my own 6.5CM for several months now, but the 10FCP is better built than the RPR. I'm a fan of the inherent accuracy of the round, so much so that I want to re-barrel my 10FCP-HS to 6.5CM. It is my humble opinion that the savage action is superior to the (Ruger American?) action that is clam shelled into the RPR "chassis". In addition, it looks like one can obtain proper eye relief behind the savage without the 1.5" rings required by the RPR, even at the stocks lowest setting. There are currently several barrel manufacturers selling pre-fit barrels for the RPR, as well as a multitude of other accessories given the infancy of the platform. it's only a matter of time until a trigger hits the market. I like my RPR, but I'd take a similarly equipped savage over it any day of the week

SlowTrigger
01-29-2016, 01:28 PM
If I had to choose between the 110BA Stealth and an RPR, both chambered in 6.5CM, my personal pick would be for the Savage. I've been shooting a .308 10FCP-HS for several years, and I've been behind my own 6.5CM for several months now, but the 10FCP is better built than the RPR. I'm a fan of the inherent accuracy of the round, so much so that I want to re-barrel my 10FCP-HS to 6.5CM. It is my humble opinion that the savage action is superior to the (Ruger American?) action that is clam shelled into the RPR "chassis". In addition, it looks like one can obtain proper eye relief behind the savage without the 1.5" rings required by the RPR, even at the stocks lowest setting. There are currently several barrel manufacturers selling pre-fit barrels for the RPR, as well as a multitude of other accessories given the infancy of the platform. it's only a matter of time until a trigger hits the market. I like my RPR, but I'd take a similarly equipped savage over it any day of the week

Amen to that brother. Once you have the RPR and handle it for a bit you notice the cheap aspect of the rifle. For example, the bolt shroud is a plastic POS and there is a bit of wobble between the rear of the stock and the action area. IMO Savage makes better rifles, more quality and better accuracy. I think Ruger came out with the RPR and the novel design of it and people have been swarming to get in on the action, but I think it's a lot more hype than anything else. I bought mine for $999 plus tax. The price point is attractive and so is the rifle, but I recommend to anyone considering buying the RPR to reconsider and look at Savage instead. I couldn't be more impressed with the accuracy and precision of my 12 F/TR, and it cost me $1099 plus tax - just $100 more than the RPR.

doctnj
01-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Speaking about the big heavy chassis Savage had initially, I am glad my 338 is heavy. That makes the recoil nice and easy to manage.

bearcatrp
01-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Amen to that brother. Once you have the RPR and handle it for a bit you notice the cheap aspect of the rifle. For example, the bolt shroud is a plastic POS and there is a bit of wobble between the rear of the stock and the action area. IMO Savage makes better rifles, more quality and better accuracy. I think Ruger came out with the RPR and the novel design of it and people have been swarming to get in on the action, but I think it's a lot more hype than anything else. I bought mine for $999 plus tax. The price point is attractive and so is the rifle, but I recommend to anyone considering buying the RPR to reconsider and look at Savage instead. I couldn't be more impressed with the accuracy and precision of my 12 F/TR, and it cost me $1099 plus tax - just $100 more than the RPR.
With the Savage stealth being announce, put off hunting for a RPR in 6.5CM until I see the stealth. My Savage 10T 308 is a tac driver and its a solid rifle overall. If the stealth checks out, will be following me home. Just hope savage doesn't drag there feet getting them out to stores like ruger is doing.

Kkern
02-04-2016, 09:21 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Savage is bringing out the Stealth...particularly in the 6.5 CM. I have been on the fence about purchasing the RPR and I am glad now, that I have not been able to find one. And the "clam shell" receiver on the RPR, has been a negative to me from the beginning.
The info I've been able to find, indicates the Sav 10 (6.5 & .308) will be in the $1200 range, I'm assuming that's MSRP.....
If the Stealth will shoot anything close to my FCP-SR .308 then, I'll be one happy shooter !!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160204/7a8fccf42675168e49b5760b47981b01.jpg

doctnj
02-04-2016, 09:50 AM
I will say this. I stumbled across my 10ba CM while I was shopping for the rpr. It was and still is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot out of the box. Sure my plan is to upgrade it a bit but it's more for fun and curiosity. I've kept track on the hide and it seems like the only two things on the rpr that they are keeping factory are the trigger (most times) and some of the receiver. With all the upgrading generally going on, you could have more easily just bought a custom since what they are left with resembles the rpr very little. I think my savage barrel/chamber is fine the way it is. I wouldn't dream of changing that out till I shoot it out. With a .4 ish moa why would I jack with that? With the rpr sounds like they are paying a grand for a chassis and slowly building a rifle in it but getting to shoot along the way.