PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 scout 7.62x39 pics.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

futurerider103
01-26-2016, 10:32 AM
I have 5 acres but would like more. I know how deviating they can be though

Ol' BW
01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
TN has outlawed hunting wild pigs for fear that people will start bringing them to TN or just turning them loose. Also made it illegal to turn those animals loose.

BW

Newtosavage
01-26-2016, 01:25 PM
If TN has outlawed hunting wild pigs, they need to update their website:

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/wild-hog-regulations

That's the first I've heard of that. TX made them illegal to transport years ago, but it was too little, too late. They were being transported in most cases by hunters who didn't own the land they were being released on, for purely sport hunting reasons. So those landowners have sport hunters to "thank" for their invasive destructive nuisance hogs. This IMO remains a black eye for sport hunters in many parts of the U.S.

Yes, they are fun to hunt. I'll give you that, but they cause millions of dollars worth of damage each year, not to mention injuries by those who work the land and end up dropping a wheel in a hole created by rooting hogs. Been there, done that, have the scars to prove it.

Ol' BW
01-26-2016, 02:45 PM
TN has outlawed hunting wild pigs for fear that people will start bringing them to TN or just turning them loose. Also made it illegal to turn those animals loose.

BW

If TN has outlawed hunting wild pigs, they need to update their website:

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/wild-hog-regulations

Nope the website is right. It outlines legal ways to eradicate hogs. If you read further it states:

"In 2011, new regulations were enacted that changed wild hog management. Wild hogs are no longer regarded as big game animals in Tennessee. In order to remove the incentive to relocate wild hogs, they are now considered a destructive species to be controlled by methods other than sport hunting. It is illegal to possess, transport, or release live wild hogs. - See more at: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/wild-hog-regulations#sthash.1N9jpIuE.dpuf "

"Hunting" being the key word there. There is not a "hunting season" for hogs but you can kill them following special regulations.

BW

Newtosavage
01-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Ah, that's basically what every other state, including Texas, is doing. Again, too little too late though.

But back to the rifles...

I finally found something I don't like about my 7.62x39 scout rifle - its so accurate and easy to shoot that it's making my other rifles look bad. I mean really. I was pretty satisfied with a few of my other guns before this one. Now I'm like "I wish it shot as good as my Savage." LOL.

Ol' BW
01-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Hopefully it is not too little too late in TN. Unlike the Asian Carp situation. . .

Well you have proved all if the naysayers wrong that count out the 7.62x39 and the Savage. It is a great platform and a great little cartridge!

BW

Newtosavage
01-26-2016, 05:47 PM
That 7.62 scout with "just" a 20" barrel, 4x scope and tupperware stock has consistently produced the smallest groups I've ever shot, and I've never even handloaded for it. Best factory load my Savage .308 fired (22" barrel, Accustock and 4-12x scope) was Winchesters at .83" and the best handloads I've made up for that rifle were in the .6" range. The 7.62x39 scout shoots .8" with 50-round box Hornady steel case, and .5" with Winchester factory ammo. That's just ridiculous.

At least from my Savage scout, that 7.62x39 is no slouch at all. I hear the CZ's are shooters too. Maybe it's just an "inherently accurate" caliber. LOL. :D It does indicate just how bad (by comparison) the SKS and AK's shoot that round though. Reminds me of what my old Mini-14 does to the accuracy of a .223 round. If that was the only rifle you knew, of course you'd think the .223 was not an accurate round.

Inebriated
01-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Looks great man, and that's a big ol' pig!

Newtosavage
01-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Yea, she was full of little pigs. When I poked her with my boot, she just rolled around like she was filled with jelly. LOL. Nasty buggars.

Now that I have the form factor settled and the action cycling the way I want, the last thing to do is figure out a higher cap. magazine for her. I don't need 10 rounds, but 6 or 7 would be darn nice when the pigs start scrambling! A couple of 6-7 round magazines in my pocket would be pretty nice too.

Ol' BW
01-26-2016, 06:51 PM
There was a guy on here that did 223 mags, wonder if he'd do a 7.62x39? He might show you how to make one yourself.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/26/8cd89b879831348960cc03b3229b15c6.jpg

BW

Inebriated
01-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Yea, she was full of little pigs. When I poked her with my boot, she just rolled around like she was filled with jelly. LOL. Nasty buggars.

Now that I have the form factor settled and the action cycling the way I want, the last thing to do is figure out a higher cap. magazine for her. I don't need 10 rounds, but 6 or 7 would be darn nice when the pigs start scrambling! A couple of 6-7 round magazines in my pocket would be pretty nice too.

That is disgusting lol...

As for mags, I have no idea if you can get a stock designed for AR mags, but if you can, you can get 10 round AR Stoner 7.62x39 mags.

Newtosavage
01-26-2016, 09:20 PM
BW, that's exactly what I need! I see the .223 mag. also has the block at the back like my 7.62x39 does! So if nothing else, I can get some spare .223 mags and modify them. Sweet.

Inebriated - that's another good idea. Thanks. I'll look into that. There have been two or three occasions when I just needed more bullets! Nothing I hate worse than letting pigs get away.

Inebriated
01-27-2016, 11:54 PM
BW, that's exactly what I need! I see the .223 mag. also has the block at the back like my 7.62x39 does! So if nothing else, I can get some spare .223 mags and modify them. Sweet.

Inebriated - that's another good idea. Thanks. I'll look into that. There have been two or three occasions when I just needed more bullets! Nothing I hate worse than letting pigs get away.

Shoulda brought an AK :D

Newtosavage
01-28-2016, 10:42 AM
More like a shotgun. LOL

Maine-iac
01-28-2016, 07:21 PM
Very nice. Stainless and walnut is a great look. I want to get a Savage American Classic Stainless/walnut some time in maybe a .243 . I have an RSI in .308. Blue and walnut. Great little deer gun. They have very thin and short barrels so you can only shoot a few rounds and then let them cool before shooting again. Makes them slow to sight in. Contributes to the reputation that the RSI's are not very accurate. I long for one in 6.5x55 Sweed. I have emailed Ruger a bunch of times telling them to offer limited runs of the 77 RSI like they do in the #1's. Wouldn't you like to see one in 7.62x39? Enough about Rugers (my second favorite gun maker after Savage) after all this is a Savage shooters site. (:

futurerider103
02-08-2016, 12:07 AM
Currently there are 2 model 14 walnut stocks on numrich. One looks real nice. Both are about $135

Newtosavage
02-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Those do look like a great stock for the money.

And Maine-iac, a Ruger RSI in 7.62x39 would be ideal, as would a full length stock in a CZ 527 in the same caliber. Folks have been asking for it, but I've yet to see one.

futurerider103
02-08-2016, 09:39 PM
I like the fit and finish on the CZ rifles and their stocks but I just cannot stand the way that the magazine but up to the trigger like it does.
That's honestly the reason why I'm building a 7.62x39 rifle instead of just buying a CZ

Newtosavage
02-08-2016, 11:51 PM
I understand. I would love to own a 527 someday, but there were some things about it I didn't care for as well, like the mag extending below the stock, and the weird scope rings.

Nice to have one in a conventional action with ample accessories.

futurerider103
02-08-2016, 11:52 PM
I'd still buy a 527 .22 though