PDA

View Full Version : Reinforcing Axis Stock with Quiksteel

Pages : [1] 2 3

mgardewine
12-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Has anyone ever used quiksteel to fill the factory synthetic stock forearm? I've debated getting a boyds varmint thumb hole stock for my heavy barrel 308, but I figured I would try a cheap alternative first. The stock flexes in my hand, let alone on the bipod. I figured the quiksteel would solidify the stock enough to do the shooting I'm doing. If this won't work I'll just spend the $150, but for the limited shooting I do, cheap would be my preferred route.

triehl27
12-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Honestly, go with Rockite. It is easier to use in my opinion, and hardens and stiffens the stock perfectly. Plus it;s $3.99 a lb at Ace Hardware and subsidiaries.

I just did both a Savage model 10 and my Axis heavy barrel. Took a styrofoam cup, added the mix, added a very little water at a time, and mixed. Once it reached a "JUST" pourable consistency, I leveled the stock and poured it in. Being a fluid instead of Quicksteels putty, it fills in all the nooks and crannys easily. I fill it till I can just make out the tops of the interior fins and dividers, plenty of stiffening, no issues with barrel contact that way.

I have used quicksteel in the past, in fact the Mod 10 had a layer in the bottom of the forend from when I bedded it, and used the remainder for stiffening. I wouldn't go back to Quicksteel for stiffening now that I have used Rockite. Rockite Foreend fill adds about 4 ozs to the weight in mine, since it's essentially a concrete, there is ZERO flex after it has dried. I give mine and hour usually.

I then tape off the topside of the stock, front and rear and spray is with a coat of flat black primer. Total work time from mix to pour, 5 mins, Drying time and hour. Rockite can be mixed thinner and still be 100% effective, it just takes a longer drying time, or just add a bit more mix. The nice thing about mixing it in a paper cup is you just let the excess dry and toss it.

devildogandboy
12-23-2015, 02:36 PM
i was going to suggest the Rocktite even though i have never used it yet but there is a few articles on the forum about it's use. cheap and effective, what have you got to lose?

triehl27, why do you primer it afterwards?

Bruce

triehl27
12-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Bruce, simple vanity. The Rockite dries to a mottled grey, and looks like concrete, looks out of place against the black stock and black fins separating the forend sections. A coating of primer flat black spray, makes it look OEM almost (when I haven't dribbled on the fins or outside the stock) Even though it's going to be all black I tape it off so that it doesn't spray the outside of the stock which will eventually come off on my hands with use.

i was going to suggest the Rocktite even though i have never used it yet but there is a few articles on the forum about it's use. cheap and effective, what have you got to lose?

triehl27, why do you primer it afterwards?

Bruce

triehl27
12-23-2015, 04:28 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/triehl27/mobile/a3ef424b-7cbf-457c-95c8-517b7bffd072.jpg
Sorry for the huge image.

The forend is Rockite, and the poor bedding job is quicksteel, I just never cleaned it up as it shoots so well as is I saw no point in monkeying with it further.

This is my Mod 10, I did the bedding a couple of years ago, 1st time I had ever used Quicksteel. I just a couple of weeks ago did the Rockite.

rfd12fv
12-23-2015, 08:31 PM
without a doubt of hesitation, i'd highly recommend going the rockite route. far cheaper, super easy, adds incredible stiffness to the fore end and you can either fill up or "tube" the butt stock to allow controlling the weight (static), or use lead balls (muzzleloader ammo) that will roll in the tube(s) dynamically to help dampen the recoil. the rockite will cure in minutes and for less than $10 yer tupperware stock will be functionally transformed. i dunno why some folks question the gray rockite color - who would care, know one sees it. i've used rockite on at least 11 stocks, some mine and some for buds. just do it.

http://i.imgur.com/Jmiubj8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wSpOKIc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n5S4FmC.jpg

mgardewine
12-23-2015, 08:56 PM
I never got a notification on this. Thanks guys, I'll look into it tomorrow. Might pour it and let it set while I'm out of town this weekend.

rfd12fv
12-23-2015, 09:52 PM
if yer talkin' rockite, it'll be rock hard in 15 minutes.

devildogandboy
12-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Bruce, simple vanity. The Rockite dries to a mottled grey, and looks like concrete, looks out of place against the black stock and black fins separating the forend sections. A coating of primer flat black spray, makes it look OEM almost (when I haven't dribbled on the fins or outside the stock) Even though it's going to be all black I tape it off so that it doesn't spray the outside of the stock which will eventually come off on my hands with use.

okay, i see, i was just wondering if it was because the rocktite needed to be sealed. thanks for the reply.

Bruce

devildogandboy
12-23-2015, 10:09 PM
double post.

mgardewine
12-23-2015, 10:24 PM
No one around here seems to have rockite. Is there a comparable option? The closest place carrying it is 30 miles...

rfd12fv
12-23-2015, 10:55 PM
No one around here seems to have rockite. Is there a comparable option? The closest place carrying it is 30 miles...

haven't seen anything comparable - buy it online, ace hardware has it for $4.

triehl27
12-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Ace Hardware, Do-It Center, and the other one, are all subsidiaries, and should have it... BUT you can certainly order it off of the Ace Hardware sight and ship it.

Rockite is fairly new to me using it, and it is way way way cheaper, and a 1000X's easier to use then the other stiffening methods I have done over the years.

GaCop
12-28-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm glad a read this posting. I gotta get some of that Rockite!

rfd12fv
12-28-2015, 09:39 AM
there is absolutely no need to 'seal' or 'paint' the cured rockite. a total waste of time and money.

why would anyone be concerned over its cured gray color? how in the world will anyone see the rockite unless the rifle was taken apart?

most any tupperware fore and butt stock that's been treated with rockite will then take that flexible stock and not only incredibly stiffen it, but also allow a little to a Lot of recoil absorbing, steadying weight. for the most part, i'm no longer interested in any after-market laminated stock when for $5 i can take a synth stock from krap to killer.

ivob
12-28-2015, 09:57 AM
i am unable to buy Rocktite in Canada so my option was to us some JB Weld did around where the bi-pod attaches and behind the recoil lug - didn't add too much weight - made some reloads - my first Axis which I sold was stock and it shot well - hoping that my second Axis shoots better than the first one did.

rfd12fv
12-28-2015, 10:00 AM
i'll bet there's a version of rockite to be found practically world wide. it's an "anchoring" or "finishing" or "quick set" cement. look for those terms.

here ya go --- quickrete, sakrete, basalite - got to be lots more, too.

triehl27
12-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Rfd12fv,

Why? Because I can. I have the flat black on hand for other things around the house, so why not make it blend and look nice? The grey can show down the sides of the barrel channel with the barrel in place and the contrast look DIY in nature. So why not take the extra time to make it all blend? If you were going to actually seal the Rockite, I dont't see the point though, my preference would be PlatiDip spray, couple of coatings. I have used that to seal ammo boxes, works well.

rfd12fv
12-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Rfd12fv,

Why? Because I can. I have the flat black on hand for other things around the house, so why not make it blend and look nice? The grey can show down the sides of the barrel channel with the barrel in place and the contrast look DIY in nature. So why not take the extra time to make it all blend? If you were going to actually seal the Rockite, I dont't see the point though, my preference would be PlatiDip spray, couple of coatings. I have used that to seal ammo boxes, works well.

to each their own, it's all good, but you must have a HUGE space between the barrel and the fore stock to be able to see any of the rockite in an axis rifle. mine is about 1/16" and i can't see the rockite with a high beam flash light.

ivob
12-28-2015, 07:32 PM
quickcrete - got it :-)