PDA

View Full Version : who uses/don't use hearing protection while hunting

Pages : 1 [2]

nova1194
11-23-2015, 01:40 AM
I have a muzzle brake on my 300 win mag, so hearing protection is a must, i use the same orange plugs they use down at the shop, keep them around my neck until I am ready to shoot, havent had a deer or elk walk away while i was popping in the plugs yet.

Mike

scooterf79
11-24-2015, 12:32 PM
I've worn plugs hunting for years. Didnt when I was a kid, but had several shots go off close to my ears (nothing dangerous) by being near family member on hunts. I've worn them ever since.
I've got a set of the electronic muffs but haven't tried them hunting yet.
I highly recommend wearing ear protection. I wear it for nearly everything. Mowing, sawing, weed eater, etc...
Scooter

tufrthnails
12-01-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't use Ear Pro Hunting. But use it religiously while target shooting or practicing. Honestly I rarely had ear pro in while in the sandbox, and lost a lot of hearing in my right side because of it. But amazingly I have regained some hearing according to my hearing tests every year at the VA.

aubie515
12-03-2015, 04:41 PM
I don't use hearing protection while hunting.

Now, I'm using suppressor with subsonic ammo. The 300BO is very quiet loaded subsonic with suppressor.

Nandy
12-03-2015, 05:32 PM
I don't use hearing protection while hunting.

Now, I'm using suppressor with subsonic ammo. The 300BO is very quiet loaded subsonic with suppressor.

What is your range with the subsonic ammo?

olddav
12-04-2015, 09:56 PM
I abused my hearing most of my life, shooting, drag racing, , head banging concerts, etc...
I wear ear muffs or ear plugs for all the above now. I guess I still want to hear music (the milder type) when I grow older.

6.5 GRENDEL
12-18-2015, 06:21 PM
This year I broke down and bought me a pair of in ear electronic hearing protection, it amps the sounds until the gun goes off and then it deadens the sound.
It was expensive at $300.00 but years and years of shooting and playing in a Southern Rock band have taken its toll on my hearing but I wish to keep what I have left. Tinnitus is awful.

tufrthnails
12-18-2015, 06:29 PM
funny this thread popped up. My boss came in today and said hey check out what I got tossed me a pair of the caldwell muffs. I turned them on and took them to the shop grabbed an 2x4 an beat an i beam with it. I have to say I was impressed with the comfort and fit and how well I could hear the ambiant noise. Still not sold on wearing them for an all day sit, but might have to get a pair

BillPa
12-19-2015, 12:26 PM
I wear ear muffs or ear plugs

I use both plugs and E-muffs( Radians Pro 23s) at the range. As a younger man I spent too many hours standing next to 300-400 inches w/open headers and shooting without ear protection. The ringing in my left ear isn't bad but I don't want it to get any worse if I can help it. Even mowing grass, weed whacking and in the shop depending on what I'm doing-using I use hearing protection.

I don't wear them when deer hunting where its typically one shot and done but at the range both plugs and muffs together always. I also require my son and grandsons use both and eye protection at the range. No eye-ear protection no shootie, they set in the truck or stay home! They don't care for them but in the future hopefully they'll thank Pop for being a mean contemptible old fart!

Bill

243LPR
12-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Hearing already trashed,no protection while hunting but i do at the range.

GaCop
02-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Between Vietnam, gunfire, explosions and aircraft engine noise on the flight line and being macho when I was younger shooting without hearing protection, I've paid the price and now have to wear hearing aids. I don't wear my hearing aids when hunting or shooting as recommended by my audiologist. I use electronic muffs at the range to protect what little hearing I have and left and in the field because they amplify sound making it easier for me to hear deer movement I never would have heard with out them.

pbmax84
02-11-2016, 03:09 PM
And I have to sleep with a fan a foot from my head to drown out the ringing..... Oh, maybe I'm the only one who does that...

savgebolt
02-14-2016, 12:09 PM
wandering what electronic ear plugs you all may have used, and or recommend

scooterf79
02-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Ive got a pair of the Caldwell electronic muffs. Caught em on sale at Cabelas a few months back for $20 ish. They seem to work well. I always wear plugs and muffs when Im shooting my rifles though. Theyre nice when talking to guys at the range and then shooting they cut out the sound.
Scooter

savage11223
02-16-2016, 07:37 PM
I dont like to wear plugs or miffs while hunting when others are around for safety reasons. I would rather not be shot, but I guess thats just preference. Any other time though, yes. If im hinting alone or just shooting i always at leat use a good pair of plugs.