PDA

View Full Version : Budget FFP scope for 7mm rem mag

Pages : 1 2 [3]

wbm
11-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Tried one SWFA scope. It was ok but not something I would buy again. Went with a Redfield Revenge 6-18x44 on my 7mm magnum. No regrets. Good scope, good price.

Old Medic
11-17-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm not necessarily dead set on a viper, but that seems to be about the best FFP scope for under $1000.

I may be a little late to the dance, but I just saw this thread. For a dual purpose scope I would put a Burris Veracity FFP up against any scope on the market for under $1000. I've had a Veracity 4-20x50 FFP on a 7mag and a 6.5x284 (not to mention other models over the years). The reticle is effective and uncluttered and the glass is great. In a word - AWESOME! Believe me, you owe it to yourself to check out Burris Veracity. They are built like bricks.

WinnieTheBoom
11-25-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm also a little late to the dance but figured I would drop some knowledge from my viewpoint.

I've owned the Viper PST FFP, Razor HD Gen 1, and now Razor HD Gen 2. To say that I'm a Vortex fanatic is an understatement, but if there's one thing I learned, it's that scopes are lifetime can be lifetime investments. I've owned one Nightforce scope and used countless others. No experience with SWFA, but the Primary Arms seems to be a pretty kickass scope for the money.

For me, the Viper is the epitome of a perfect scope for under 1k. FFP, good glass quality, excellent turrets, good adjustment/tracking, reticle offerings, magnification, the list goes on. It's a an absolute steal for the money, but the best part is the warranty. You can buy any Vortex scope second hand, drop it off a cliff, and have it run over by a truck only to have Vortex replace it with a new one... That to me is reason enough not to buy another scope...

You can pick up PST FFPs on SH/LRH for around $700. It's a no-brainer to me, especially knowing what I know now, but it's a hard to beat value for anyone trying to break into the realm of long range shooting.

keeki
11-26-2015, 08:03 AM
I've owned and used most of these scopes and what someone considers the best scope is mostly opinion. The one thing that's not opinion is clarity and brightness and sightron wins hands down. Tracking is sightron, eyebox almost always goes to leupold and then to sightron, durability can be a toss up, bells and whistles goes to vortex. Most of these scopes fall withing the same price range, but if it was my money I would go sightron siii, everytime
Sightron siii 6-24 x 50 lr ffp/mh 30mm for $860 and never look back. But like I said, mostly opinion

ak01q
01-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately I've never served. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a viper, but as of now I haven't seen anything pop up yet. I did a little research on some of the fixed power SWFA scopes. I am really intrigued by them in several aspects. Being a mechanic by trade I really appreciate the simplicity of a fixed power scope. Not to mention that every post that I've read about them says that the glass quality on a fixed power is quite a bit better than a variable power scope in the same price range, and a few posts are comparing the glass to scopes in the $1000 range. As said before, it will be on my elk/ target rifle, so I am seriously considering either a 10x or 12x as kind of an all around scope. I have noticed that I tend to stay on 10x-12x now as it is. The main thing I am looking for is something that will be within my budget and will still allow me to reach 1000 yds and be able to handle magnum recoil.

I have the 10x42 with side parallax. I like it. They have sales a couple times a year for like 20% off. I got mine with butler caps and the AR base for less than $400 during a sale.

Turbolung
01-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Just to throw it out there..center points are rock solid and decent glass...I use one on a springer air rifle and they are crazy bad for breaking reticles. Broke 3 scopes before I finally tried a CP. Iv used it for several years now and it hasn't budged. I just got the Sportsman Guide leatherwood scope..and like it..but haven't had it long enough to rate it...

Turbolung
01-13-2016, 06:13 PM
I posted this before reading what your price range was..nevermind lol