PDA

View Full Version : Dscussion: SSS's New Acme Universal magazine conversion

Pages : [1] 2 3

nova1194
06-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Nice work, is there a set up for the 223 in the works ?

Mike

hangtime
06-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Is it only short action...I know you said it was for the short action, or do they offer it for the long action also?

Uncle Jack
06-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Okay, Fred, I'll take a frame and a 10 round mag and a inlet job. When do you want me to send the US stock?

Will this also work on the UV stock?

Is there a long action version in the works?

uj

P.S. Dare I ask how long it might take?

06-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I assume you can inlet a B&C A2 Medalist to accept these? If so I will be sending you two.

lostart
06-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I am also curious about a long action version. Good work Fred ;)

McKinneyMike
06-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I am also curious about a long action version. Good work Fred ;)

Me too! Why is it the SA guys have all the fun :) I would love to have a detachable magazine for my LA Savages.

hangtime
06-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Looks like there is a market for the long action people.

ellobo
06-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Wow, good old American ingenuity at work. A wonderful thing to see. This is obviously a blessing for those guys who need/want more capacity. The design and execution seem to be of the best order. A long actin version wil be on the way I am sure. Hang in there guys, a genius is at work.
El Lobo

JeepsAndGuns
06-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Most definately need a long action model. I would love to have this on my long action centerfeed with the ulitmate varmiter stock!

dwm
06-10-2010, 09:30 PM
What is the maximum cartridge overal length that will funtion well in the magazine?

Uncle Jack
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Whose magazines are they. I know Fred is great at machine work and the bottom metal looks it, but sheet metal is a whole different discipline.

uj

Fjold
06-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Fred,

You list it available for the Choate Utimate Sniper stock, will it also fit the Choate Varminter?

I guess you couldn't make an even larger oblong front hole to fit my J action, huh?

;D

sharpshooter
06-11-2010, 12:43 AM
WOW!!! I shoulda checked here first just to confirm that nobody cares about short actions anymore.... ;)
Well, yes....there is plans for a long action version BUT.....until the magazines are totally wrung out, field tested and approved, you won't see anything about it. That's why I kept this under wraps until I had it de-bugged and into production before I cut it loose, somehow I knew this would happen.
.223....not out of the question, but not bloody likely for a long time.

The Choate version will fit either stock, US or UV. I can inlet the Medalist, that's a given, but the only thing I don't know for sure is the depth of the stock in that area and it might be thicker, leaving the frame below the the wood line. Not that it would be a problem, just maybe unsightly, but I'll bet it's pretty close.

The whole idea behind this was to make most of the applications "drop in" fits. Even for a stagger feed, one could use a stock originally for a centerfeed DBM and simply slot the front hole, or remove the pillar. The Choate Tactical stock is a good example: although it is for a new centerfeed DBM, the front hole that is through the aluminum chassis can be slotted back, and now it will fit a stagger feed. The B&C are the same way with the aluminum chassis, you could go either way.
The DBM inlets will vary slightly from different manufactures, so it may be neccesary to tweak things with a dremel.
"J" series.....OK, Frank....yer pushin' it now. It would be possible, but that would be a total custom application.

As to who is making the magazines...I am not at liberty to discuss that at this time, but I will say that they are used on alot of high-dollar custom tactical rigs.

bodywerks
06-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Have I missed something? where are the pics?

McKinneyMike
06-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Have I missed something? where are the pics?

Go here for the photos http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,33550.0.html

06-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Did I understand what I read yesterday correctly, these are available to be installed now? What kind of wait time would I be looking at to get a 10rd installed on my B&C A2. I can send it off today if these are ready to go.

bodywerks
06-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Fred, what do I gotta do to get one in .223?????

Blue Avenger
06-11-2010, 09:35 AM
You guys gotta realize this is part of why the back up on some of the other work and why it will be a long while before the long action stage begins.

other work has to be caught back up and the annual varmint hunter jamboree vacation is also coming up.

Don't expect any instant gratification with getting your stocks inleted!

And you know there will be some that call and want it added to work already there putting them further behind.

82boy
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
You guys gotta realize this is part of why the back up on some of the other work and why it will be a long while before the long action stage begins.

other work has to be caught back up and the annual varmint hunter jamboree vacation is also coming up.

Don't expect any instant gratification with getting your stocks inleted!

And you know there will be some that call and want it added to work already there putting them further behind.

Greg, has said it best.
This is why Fred and Mark put in mega hours each week. (More than most people do) R&D takes time, money, and other things. Now imagine tring to do that and a few hundred orders, that people change there minds contunisly.

Fjold
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
"J" series.....OK, Frank....yer pushin' it now. It would be possible, but that would be a total custom application.

Fred, I'll be in Ohio in October , I'll come up and talk to you about it. ;D