PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Rings "Bottoming out" on scope.

Pages : [1] 2

lrshooting
10-13-2015, 10:50 PM
I got a set of vortex rings (not the precision matched ones, the cheaper 20$/ring or 40$/set) and it seems that even though they do tighten down on the scope, the halves touch when torqued even to the minimum recommended specs of 15 in-lb. Are rings suppose to be this way? Maybe they are and the cheap ones have a large gap because machining tolerances are poor and making a ring a few thou undersized from 30 mm isn't cost effective for companies.

If your not understancing what Im meaning, and I dont blame you if not because I dont seem to explain things very well, if I tried to slip a .0005 thin piece of something in between the ring halves with scope installed when torqued to 15 in-lb with a wheeler engineering torque wrench, I wouldn't be able to. They touch. This could potentially mean Im not getting a solid hold on the scope tube. I might just switch to badger max 50 rings. 180$ but I like the way they look and id rather have wider then narrow. Thats just me...

earl39
10-14-2015, 01:33 AM
put a layer of electrical tape on each half. should be good to go

velvetant
10-14-2015, 10:50 AM
I have a set of rings from a different manufacturer that do the same thing, My scope has never moved.
You can try it as is or do the electrical tape trick.

FW Conch
10-14-2015, 01:01 PM
The electrical tape sounds like a fine fix to me. But if you don't want to do that, why not stone the ring halves on a nice flat sharpening stone? Shouldn't take long to get the clearest you need. Beats spending $180! :-)

upSLIDEdown
10-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Try them as is and see. They may be tight, just not as tight as you think. Typically, Vortex doesn't make inferior products. ;)

To check it, mount your scope, torque everything down. Then take a pencil and run around the scope tube, right in the corner where the edges of the rings are. If that line moves, you know the scope is moving under recoil. Also, 15ftlb sounds light. I looked them up, they say 15-18. Those rings look just like Burris XTRs, which have a spec of 18-24. Take that for whatever you think it's worth, but if they were mine, I'd probably go to at least 20, however this is yours, not mine. lol :)

lrshooting
10-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Try them as is and see. They may be tight, just not as tight as you think. Typically, Vortex doesn't make inferior products. ;)

To check it, mount your scope, torque everything down. Then take a pencil and run around the scope tube, right in the corner where the edges of the rings are. If that line moves, you know the scope is moving under recoil. Also, 15ftlb sounds light. I looked them up, they say 15-18. Those rings look just like Burris XTRs, which have a spec of 18-24. Take that for whatever you think it's worth, but if they were mine, I'd probably go to at least 20, however this is yours, not mine. lol :)

Well, I was just following vortex spec...but yes, they make good products. These were used rings when i got them though. My vortex dealer had them just sitting around and sold me the pair for 20$ when normally they are 20$ each. I run a vortex PST FFP 6-24 which is a nice scope for the money. But I tell ya what, ive been looking hard at rings the last couple of days waiting for replies and those seekins and badger rings are drawing me in hard. Id want aluminum for expansion and corrosion reasons (mainly corrosion), but I dont think id have a problem with strength.

As FW conch stated, I might just file them down on a flat stone. I dont like the idea of something as soft as electrical tape holding my scope. Maybe thats just me. Either that or I will feel like I have a heavy pocket one of these days, get some BO rings and then feel 10 pounds lighter :)

LoneWolf
10-14-2015, 03:48 PM
If your going to spend that much money then get the best rings on the market. M10 Rings by American Rifle Company. Best design. You can ask LongRange. he listened to me and will only be buying those rings from now on. they only use 2 bolts and are a clamp style. Takes 5 minutes to mount and center the scope. And they won't budge even if using with a 50BMG.

Jay24bal
10-14-2015, 04:01 PM
deleted, I had a math conversion backwards in my head.

roscoe69
10-14-2015, 06:42 PM
I had purchased three vortex 30 mm rings for my sons 338 lm, sticker said (made in china)

lrshooting
10-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Yeah, you already threw your propaganda at me once I think some time or another. :) I do like them. They look cool, but something irritates me about the way they close. Super neat concept and the ultimate goal is accuracy so if they delivery that and are rugged, then awesome.

I think it's something about them that makes me think they wouldn't close evenly. Never heard a thing bad about them though.

If I really wanted to spend my monies, id get a spurh isms. Them mounts are ridiculously awesome and high priced at the same time.

LoneWolf
10-14-2015, 07:12 PM
I ran a SPUHR mount for a good minute. Sold it and got the ARC rings instead. I speak from experience, so take it as you wish. Just trying to make it easier for you, but hey you're 19. Go figure it out while you still know everything.

lrshooting
10-14-2015, 07:13 PM
I had purchased three vortex 30 mm rings for my sons 338 lm, sticker said (made in china)
I noticed that to. Badger is made within a couple hour drive from me...less if I'm at college. Seekins is US if IIRC. Vortex isnt an American brand though as far as I know. Even NF isn't American, it's Japanese. Leopold was one of the last to have is made optics and there is one place left I believe in Oregon but they can't put made in the usa for whatever reason. Something to do with some parts being out sourced

lrshooting
10-14-2015, 07:23 PM
I ran a SPUHR mount for a good minute. Sold it and got the ARC rings instead. I speak from experience, so take it as you wish. Just trying to make it easier for you, but hey you're 19. Go figure it out while you still know everything.

Whoa, I never said you were wrong. Ive been looking at them. My only issue is I haven't found as much on them as I can more common brands. You speak from experience, but don't many of those who run badgers and seekins also do the same? Why would I ask if I knew it all?

I haven't seen one thing bad about the m10s. They look very nice. It's deciding between them all. What can you tell me about m10s that makes them ahead of badger or seekins or Mk4? Ease of mounting is irrelevant to me. I care about accuracy and maintaining zero no matter what happens.

Im keeping my future open. I have no debt, have no binding contracts, and provided the circumstances are correct, this gun could very well be saving my life and keeping yours free. Therefore having rings I don't have to replace for fear of losing zero if the gun gets banged against something is a must.

I have guns for utility, not to say I have the most accurate and expensive around. I don't know what's best, therefore I ask those of you such as your self for opinions so that I can better my own

Robinhood
10-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Bottoming out might keep you from crushing the tube. If you justa have to have a gap, lay some 320 on a table and rub the split line fer a piece.

lrshooting
10-14-2015, 07:42 PM
True. I don't know how rings are suppose to be. I just know all my cheap one inch weaver's I've used on small cal. guns for just doing whatever seemed like they had clearance. As you say, maybe it's to do with crushing the tube. Ill try the pencil line idea and see if it's moving. I'm getting exceptional groups at 100yds considering I was just using a load that found and not one developed for my gun so I think it's holding it some what tight at least.

LoneWolf
10-14-2015, 08:42 PM
Whoa, I never said you were wrong. Ive been looking at them. My only issue is I haven't found as much on them as I can more common brands. You speak from experience, but don't many of those who run badgers and seekins also do the same? Why would I ask if I knew it all?

I haven't seen one thing bad about the m10s. They look very nice. It's deciding between them all. What can you tell me about m10s that makes them ahead of badger or seekins or Mk4? Ease of mounting is irrelevant to me. I care about accuracy and maintaining zero no matter what happens.

Im keeping my future open. I have no debt, have no binding contracts, and provided the circumstances are correct, this gun could very well be saving my life and keeping yours free. Therefore having rings I don't have to replace for fear of losing zero if the gun gets banged against something is a must.

I have guns for utility, not to say I have the most accurate and expensive around. I don't know what's best, therefore I ask those of you such as your self for opinions so that I can better my own

Honestly speaking, the M10 Rings are just designed better. You can read all the specs on the ARC site. I've used rings from SWFA to the SPUHR and the M10's provide the most for your money. I'm passing on the information, so you don't have to spend money trying different things like I did. Did the other rings do the job... yes they did, but fussing trying to get a scope mounted properly because the scope moves every time you tighten 1 of the 12 screws on the rings is a pain. M10's 1 screw and done. Scope does not shift while tightening. You can also still see your turrets while in your shooting position without coming off the gun.

If I sounded heated before please understand that I wasn't. I guess after 12+ years of active duty in the Marine Corps, 6 deployments, 8 countries, and 4 duty stations you sometimes forget that all 19 year olds are not PFC's. :cool:

lrshooting
10-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Honestly speaking, the M10 Rings are just designed better. You can read all the specs on the ARC site. I've used rings from SWFA to the SPUHR and the M10's provide the most for your money. I'm passing on the information, so you don't have to spend money trying different things like I did. Did the other rings do the job... yes they did, but fussing trying to get a scope mounted properly because the scope moves every time you tighten 1 of the 12 screws on the rings is a pain. M10's 1 screw and done. Scope does not shift while tightening. You can also still see your turrets while in your shooting position without coming off the gun.

If I sounded heated before please understand that I wasn't. I guess after 12+ years of active duty in the Marine Corps, 6 deployments, 8 countries, and 4 duty stations you sometimes forget that all 19 year olds are not PFC's. :cool:

^^^ Yes, I noticed that. I was doing my best to be respectful. I seen your stats, and wasn't going to deny your experience. I just wanted to be clear of my intentions.

lrshooting
10-15-2015, 12:36 AM
Did some research and decided that m10 rings weren't any less than badger. Not as modular, but I cant see my self spending 80-90$ on a picatinny scope cap for badger rings either so its irrelevant. Also decided that its not making a lot of sense to mount a 1000 dollar scope on a several thousand dollar rifle only to do it with 40$ rings that I am not comfortable with. Im going to keep them around, do the modifications suggested and use them on a less expensive build.

But anyways, I gritted my teeth and hit the place order button on ARC M10 rings so i guess buy once, cry once right? (Too bad this is actually the second set on this gun since the vortex was first...)

LoneWolf
10-15-2015, 03:05 PM
You're going to be impressed with those rings!

lrshooting
10-15-2015, 09:45 PM
You're going to be impressed with those rings!

I better be...