PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Creedmore......260 Remington

Pages : [1] 2

eddiesindian
09-12-2015, 12:19 PM
In the short time Ive owned and used my LRP in 260, Ive realized just how accurate and consistant it is (after load development) from 100 out to 1200.

The only difference that I see between the cm and the 260rem calibers is case dimension.

Besides the fact that you can get your chamber cut to what ever specs you so desire on both calibers,and there both .264 diam 6.5mm, what is the advantage of a Creedmore as opposed to a 260 Rem?.

Is the difference in case dimension the means for improved accuracy?

earl39
09-12-2015, 12:25 PM
While the 260 (of which i am a fan) has a slight edge in velocity the only real life differences are the creed can have longer bullets hanging farther out of the case and still run in a short action due to it being a shorter case.
Reason 2 is the creedmoor has ammo that is cheaper if you go the factory ammo route.

If you were to run them both on a long action then the 260 gets the decided edge due to case capacity.

scope eye
09-12-2015, 12:30 PM
WOW Earl, you almost sound like you know what you are talking about.:behindsofa:

Dean

Robinhood
09-12-2015, 12:55 PM
I find that with a 260 that with SMK 142's and 139 Scenars I can load them to 2.900 easily. My mags will go 2.960 if I needed to.

FW Conch
09-12-2015, 02:08 PM
^ +1 ^ ... But, I don't use the mag anyway. :-)

LongRange
09-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Id take a 260 over a CM any day for the reasons stated above and because of brass...your all ready tooled up for the 260 eddie now just have a barrel chambered right and your set.

wbm
09-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Having had both I'm back with the 6.5x55. Nostalgia is hard to overcome as well as the "if it ain't broke" thing.

earl39
09-12-2015, 05:33 PM
WOW Earl, you almost sound like you know what you are talking about.:behindsofa:

Dean
Well i did stay at a Motel 6 one time.
:cool:

darkker
09-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Being able to run long bullets at mag length, without killing powder capacity while in a short action. Second is the fact that there are several choices of good hunting AND match ammo available for the Creedmoor.
Don't think match ammo was ever available for the 260, but Remington is world famous for being able to screw-up a wet dream....

If anyone throws the "quality brass" argument out there, I'll remind the court of 2 things. 1) Federal and there seemingly endless stream of soft headed 308 cases. 2) they don't Pressure test, or understand Pressure/velocity. So running wildly over Pressure, but " hey it didn't blow-up " is the definition of quality brass.

One has, for all intents and purposes, zero factory ammo support. The other has quality ammo for anything you may want to do, covering the full range of bullet weights. Which of these choices "sounds" more intelligent? That is really the question, because there isn't a nickels worth of difference besides.

justinp61
09-12-2015, 10:09 PM
So you don't consider Lapua to be quality brass?

stomp442
09-12-2015, 10:45 PM
Heck even Nosler makes brass for the .260 Now. It's not Lapua but it's pretty good stuff. I have never understood why the Creedmoor ever came into existence, If you need the .260 to fit the mag length seat the bullet deeper it's not that big of a deal. Yeah you loose case capacity but you do that too by making a shorter case. The Creed and the .260 with a bullet seated at 2.800" over all length = the same darn thing. I have nothing but great and wonderful things to say about 6.5's but the Creed is one I never really understood all the hoop la and popularity of.

darkker
09-13-2015, 01:33 AM
So you don't consider Lapua to be quality brass?

I don't think that because you can over-load it pressure wise that it should be given God-like status.

Since a VERY long time ago, when Olin published 30-06 case alloy details; no one knows what specs brass is built to. So as an example. If Lapua brass can take 75,000 psi, but the Hornady only survived 73,000; and we are talking about a SAAMI cartridge of 62,000 psi, some say it isn't "quality"?
There were only 2 members here I knew that actually had and use a Pressure Trace, unfortunately one has past away; the other I test with.
Hornady brass gets crap for "lose primer pockets", the 6.5 gods who complain also don't Pressure test, and typically think velocity and issue aren't connected.
So my grow is about unfair comparisons based on ignorance.
My inferior quality Hornady Creed brass has 15 reloads with no pocket failures. But I also don't pretend it's a 264 WM. So to me, the difference in Hornady brass and Lapua, is about $60.

And unless they changed plans at Silver State, Nosler 260 brass is like the rest. Norma brass stamped as Nosler.

wbm
09-13-2015, 09:08 AM
My inferior quality Hornady Creed brass has 15 reloads with no pocket failures.

I agree. Had the same experience with the Hornady CM brass....never had a problem with it.

scope eye
09-13-2015, 09:21 AM
That is why all brass cases should come with small primer pockets, so when they start falling out you can drill them out to large size primer pockets and double the life. I have done this with 308 Palma brass and a few others and it worked out fine.

Dean

LongRange
09-13-2015, 09:43 AM
lapua is VERY good brass but trust me it can be over pressured...I lost 9 pcs of brand new outta the box lapua when fire forming in that 30" barrel I had.

justinp61
09-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Is there a rifle brass can't be over pressured?

I have a model 16, 22" pencil barrel 260 so I'm not looking at loading it to the max. My rifle was bought to deer hunt and I knew going in I'd be loading for it, I have the equipment so no biggie. My line of thought was that I could use 243 or 308 brass if 260 wasn't available. I haven't seen any 6.5 CM on the shelves at my LGS or GM, 260 on the other hand is there on and off.

I bought this rifle after having shoulder surgery and can't take many doses of my model 70 in 30-06. Honestly I don't think 95% of the folks that buy them will notice any differences in the two. Which one is the best? The one you have in you hand I suppose. Your mileage may vary.

J.Baker
09-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Being able to run long bullets at mag length, without killing powder capacity while in a short action. Second is the fact that there are several choices of good hunting AND match ammo available for the Creedmoor.
Don't think match ammo was ever available for the 260, but Remington is world famous for being able to screw-up a wet dream....

If anyone throws the "quality brass" argument out there, I'll remind the court of 2 things. 1) Federal and there seemingly endless stream of soft headed 308 cases. 2) they don't Pressure test, or understand Pressure/velocity. So running wildly over Pressure, but " hey it didn't blow-up " is the definition of quality brass.

One has, for all intents and purposes, zero factory ammo support. The other has quality ammo for anything you may want to do, covering the full range of bullet weights. Which of these choices "sounds" more intelligent? That is really the question, because there isn't a nickels worth of difference besides.

Where do you get this wild, crazy idea that people are over-pressuring their brass? Who would be so foolish and ignorant? Surely no one here!

Exhibit A

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/Gun%20Stuff/204Brass4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/Gun%20Stuff/204Brass1.jpg

At no time was this .204 Ruger case exposed to excessive pressure. Nope, never...so help me Joe Pesci! :very_drunk:

This was actually a case of an overload due to a partial charge hanging up in the powder measure that I didn't catch.
No Savage's were destroyed in the making of this .204 Ruger Belted Magnum - only the ejector spring needed replacing.

LongRange
09-13-2015, 10:44 AM
no there isn't but some brass will take over pressure better than others and the biggest part is some brass is more consistent than other brass...and I agree about the 2 its what you want or like to shoot because as stated there is no big ballistic advantage if loaded the same.
when I built my 260 I looked at several chamberings before deciding and it boiled down to the CM and the Remington...I personally went 260 because of brass choices...also like I said Eddie is tooled up for the 260 so why change as he don't shoot factory ammo.

Newsshooter
09-13-2015, 11:19 AM
6.5 CM was originally designed to run in a gas gun, thus the slightly shorter overall length vs the .260. Both work well, match quality factory ammo is cheaper for the 6.5. Local shop usually has 120 gr CM on the shelf, don't think I've seen any 140's. I've bought all my factory ammo online as it is significantly cheaper there too. I reload now and haven't had any issues with the brass. Ballistically similar, I'd shoot whichever you're set up for already.

darkker
09-13-2015, 11:22 AM
My line of thought was that I could use 243 or 308 brass if 260 wasn't available.
I do that now with my Creedmoor. Trim parent cases to Creed length, FL size, check trim length and done. But I understand the point.

Where do you get this wild, crazy idea that people are over-pressuring their brass?
:rolleyes: from the quote below:cool: And the velocities posted by most Creed owners.

but some brass will take over pressure better than others.

I do agree with this. However far too many don't test things equally. How many times will you see someone talk about weighing brass by volume? Weight and volume are not the same, there is no single recipe to making brass alloys, and no one could answer about volume variations on a given production run from a factory anyway? The assumption by most, is that if you load "the same" load in different brass that somehow pressures are identical; and typically are loading extruded powder by weight not volume.
So don't know how far over Pressure they are, but if they change something but pretend it's the same, if the brass suffers it is inferior quality....

Does Lapua make good brass? I'm sure they do. Does Hornady have poor brass quality? No they do not.

For anyone out there in TV Land who is curious. When Pressure testing the Creedmoor last fall, we found that for every 75-100 fps increased, you will add 10-15,000 psi.
With 140's the Creedmoor SAAMI's at about 2700 fps. So anyone who rambles on about how they are pushing them to 2,900-3,000 fps. "With no pressures"; is a bloody fool.