PDA

View Full Version : Bullet seating die issue

Pages : [1] 2

Davehafelein
08-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Greetings. Fairly new to reloading. Couple of months into it.

When I am seating bullets (Sierra 168 TMK into Winchester brass), using a Lee Breech Lock Challenger press and Lee die, I cannot get the die to hold the seating depth constant for two cartridges in a row. Invariably, the next bullet will be .003 to .005 shorter than the previous. I measure every cartridge with a Wixey digital caliper. So I adjust the die back out and have to sneak up on the correct COAL. This takes at least three iterations of adjust/measure/re-seat for every cartridge. This takes much longer than I would expect. Or is this normal? I would have expected that once you have your die set up with the first cartridge, it would not change and you could punch out a bunch of cartridges without having to measure every one.

Thanks for your input

LongRange
08-10-2015, 08:39 PM
First thing id check is your brass....take a piece of fired brass and by hand slide a bullet into the case...it should slide right in if not you have doughnuts in your necks.

earl39
08-10-2015, 09:22 PM
It all has to do with the ojive of the bullet and where the seating die is making contact. I would wager that the die is not contacting the ojive and as such cannot get a consistent seating depth. I will also bet the place the die is touching measures different to the tip on each bullet. Either that or the seating plug is not recessed deep enough and you are seating by pressing on the tip in which case I would go to a 33 caliber seating plug to clear the plastic tip. I went to a 6.5 plug for my 223 and it works like a charm. No damaged tips and consistent seating depth.

gotcha
08-10-2015, 09:37 PM
First thing id check is your brass....take a piece of fired brass and by hand slide a bullet into the case...it should slide right in if not you have doughnuts in your necks.
Not necessarily so if you have a factory chamber where chamber neck diameters are typically larger than Min. Spec. custom reamed chambers. Are you measuring from bullet tip to base? Are you using a liquid brass cleaning process? Is the bearing surface of your bullet .030" or more above the neck/shoulder junction? How many times has the brass been fired W/O re-annealing? What diameter is your neck sized brass compared to bullet seated diameter? Does bullet seating handle pressure meet more resistance near the end of the handle stroke? All the above can have influence on bullet seating length consistency. Give us the info and we can help :)

LongRange
08-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Not necessarily so if you have a factory chamber where chamber neck diameters are typically larger than Min. Spec. custom reamed chambers. Are you measuring from bullet tip to base? Are you using a liquid brass cleaning process? Is the bearing surface of your bullet .030" or more above the neck/shoulder junction? How many times has the brass been fired W/O re-annealing? What diameter is your neck sized brass compared to bullet seated diameter? Does bullet seating handle pressure meet more resistance near the end of the handle stroke? All the above can have influence on bullet seating length consistency. Give us the info and we can help :)

im pretty sure he is not running a tight neck chamber as hes new to reloading so yes a bullet will slide right into a fired neck.
why would liquid clean have any influence on seat depth variations?
Not annealing brass will cause MORE spring back which results in LESS neck tension assuming hes not over sizing the neck to start with.
If the handle has MORE presure/resistance at the end of the stroke 99% of the time its caused by doughnuts.
Also is the OP chamfering the inside necks before reloading?

I try to start by eliminating simple things when answering questions like the OP posted

earl39
08-10-2015, 10:58 PM
im pretty sure he is not running a tight neck chamber as hes new to reloading
I try to start by eliminating simple things when answering questions like the OP posted

So you are going to start with a doughnut? You admit he is new to reloading so odds are the brass has not been loaded enough to form a doughnut but that is the first thing you think of?
Where is the simple of that? Not saying a doughnut can't be there but I sure wouldn't want to stake my paycheck on those odds. Besides when the button comes back out the doughnut goes to the outside. Doughnuts are most common with bushing dies with no sizing button.
If he is using a standard Lee die and not a collet die then not annealing will cause excess neck tension due to the brass squeezed down then opened up with the button where it tries to spring closed again. The liquid clean, provided they are all cleaned the same, should have a negligible effect on seating depth.

LongRange
08-11-2015, 08:04 AM
So you are going to start with a doughnut? You admit he is new to reloading so odds are the brass has not been loaded enough to form a doughnut but that is the first thing you think of?
Where is the simple of that? Not saying a doughnut can't be there but I sure wouldn't want to stake my paycheck on those odds. Besides when the button comes back out the doughnut goes to the outside. Doughnuts are most common with bushing dies with no sizing button.
If he is using a standard Lee die and not a collet die then not annealing will cause excess neck tension due to the brass squeezed down then opened up with the button where it tries to spring closed again. The liquid clean, provided they are all cleaned the same, should have a negligible effect on seating depth.

earl your a smart guy and know your stuff so no disrespect meant....but yes i would start by asking if he has doughnut just like i did...very simple to check just slide a bullet into a case and if it stops at the neck shoulder/junction you most likely have a doughnut...pretty simple....ive had them form with the first firing and just get worse...even using a FL die...which does not push the doughnut back to the outside 100%....if no doughnuts then start looking at other things as you suggested.

you are 100% correct about a bushing die without an expander ball causing them...the reason i dont care for bushing dies or use them any more...you are also right about the annealing/neck tension...i was thinking backwards last night so i apologize to gotcha as he was/is correct in his post.

rbp75503
08-11-2015, 08:39 AM
If you have a measuring tool to check the ogive of your bullets you would notice that there can be a .003" to .005" difference between bullets from the same lot number. Some precision shooters measure and sort their bullets by weight and ogive measurements.

So you could sort bullets by ogive, seat and then measure seating depth of finished cartridge by ogive rather than COAL giving you a much more precise finished cartridge.

gotcha
08-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Lotsa' good guys here with hearts in the right place. All have made good points. Now, if Dave would respond it wouldn't make me feel it was all in vain :) How 'bout it Dave?

eddiesindian
08-11-2015, 11:45 AM
It all has to do with the ojive of the bullet and where the seating die is making contact. I would wager that the die is not contacting the ojive and as such cannot get a consistent seating depth. I will also bet the place the die is touching measures different to the tip on each bullet. Either that or the seating plug is not recessed deep enough and you are seating by pressing on the tip in which case I would go to a 33 caliber seating plug to clear the plastic tip. I went to a 6.5 plug for my 223 and it works like a charm. No damaged tips and consistent seating depth.

spot on earl
seating plugs on dies aren't all equal. nor are the projectiles.Ive done the same thing as far as using different seating plugs to get my mic readings to be were they need to be.
some pills like rcbs,some like lee some like lyman, some like redding...the list goes on and on.

DrThunder88
08-11-2015, 03:44 PM
Odd. I have a Lee seating die for my 243, and its stem is relieved at the tip of the bullet so even Berger VLD 115 points don't touch.

When you're measuring the COAL, Dave, are you measuring to the tip or to the ogive?

Davehafelein
08-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Odd. I have a Lee seating die for my 243, and its stem is relieved at the tip of the bullet so even Berger VLD 115 points don't touch.

When you're measuring the COAL, Dave, are you measuring to the tip or to the ogive?

thanks for all the responses. But to tell you the truth, some of the answers are over my head. However, when I measure, it is to the tip of the bullet. In this case, 2.800" is the spec.

Davehafelein
08-11-2015, 10:30 PM
All the brass I have right now has been resized already. I will try this soon as I can

Davehafelein
08-11-2015, 10:32 PM
i was with you until you mentioned a 33 caliber seating plug. What is that? Is that something I can order from Lee?

eddiesindian
08-11-2015, 10:36 PM
It's best you use one of these to get consistent readings. http://m.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Comparator-Set-Body-and-14-Bullet-Inserts-1-Each/

Davehafelein
08-11-2015, 11:04 PM

Are you measuring from bullet tip to base? Yes.
Are you using a liquid brass cleaning process? No.
Is the bearing surface of your bullet .030" or more above the neck/shoulder junction? Don't know how to measure this. Bullet extends well below neck/shoulder junction
How many times has the brass been fired W/O re-annealing? Once fired brass - first reloading.
What diameter is your neck sized brass compared to bullet seated diameter? Before .332; After .334
Does bullet seating handle pressure meet more resistance near the end of the handle stroke? Not that I can notice.
All the above can have influence on bullet seating length consistency. Give us the info and we can help :)

thanks for your help

BillPa
08-11-2015, 11:06 PM
But to tell you the truth, some of the answers are over my head. However, when I measure, it is to the tip of the bullet. In this case, 2.800" is the spec.

The length you want to pay attention to is the CBTO, Cartridge Base To [bullet] Ogive. The tips can vary quite bit even the poly tipped ones.
http://i57.tinypic.com/2rmqooh.jpg

Bill

LongRange
08-12-2015, 08:33 AM
thanks for all the responses. But to tell you the truth, some of the answers are over my head. However, when I measure, it is to the tip of the bullet. In this case, 2.800" is the spec.

this is most likely why your getting inconsistent measurements...check the link eddie posted and look at the picture BillPa posted...you get more consistent readings off the ogive.

All the brass I have right now has been resized already. I will try this soon as I can

at this point i doubt you have doughnuts but id check after the next time you fire...ive seen and have had issues with doughnuts in the past.

i was with you until you mentioned a 33 caliber seating plug. What is that? Is that something I can order from Lee?

the seater plug earl is talking about is in your die...its the part that the tip of the bullet goes into and pushes the bullet into the case and should make contact just below the tip on the copper part of the bullet...two easy ways to check is to pull the plug out and put the tip of a bullet into the end of the plug and see where its making contact and/or seat a bullet or two and look for a small ring just below the tip of the bullet on the copper part.

Robinhood
08-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Measure the bullets first. 168 SMKs have an ugly meplat. .003-.005 is not an issue for a new shooter anyway.

Edit: For some reason I thought I read SMK. Anyway, Bill covered it.

Davehafelein
08-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

I called Lee Precision today and talked to one of their techs. From what I could understand, he wasn't surprised about the variation in COAL. His thoughts were that the problem was due to the plastic tip on the bullet and bullet ogive variation. Didn't really get a solution.