PDA

View Full Version : Bullet seating die issue

Pages : 1 [2]

upSLIDEdown
08-13-2015, 01:26 AM
The solution is get a bullet comparator and measure to the ogive of the bullet, not the tip. A lot of bullets will measure a few thou different from base to tip, but the base to ogive number will be much closer. It's just the inconsistencies of the tips.

tufrthnails
08-13-2015, 04:19 AM
Yep typically all my rounds are within + or - .001 base to Ogive. Base to Tip can be crazy at times. Unless I am doing load development I just rockem at that point.

gotcha
08-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Dave, No need to order another seating plug. Your plug, unlike many others, is cylindrical & hollow as DrThunder88 states. The design won't allow interference of pointy bullet tips. ( would have been nice if the LEE "tech" understood this :)) At any rate, I agree with those that recommend using the Hornady LNL Gauge for determining bullet seating depth................ When seating bullets in non-neck turned brass you'll experience variations in bullet seating resistance which is hard to feel on a standard press. Try setting your die to obtain perfect seating depth when the press handle barely "kisses" the stop at the bottom of the handle stroke. If the next cartridge has more seating resistance it will seat a bit longer. Re-seat the bullet by giving a gentle "bump" at the end of the handle stroke and you'll find the cartridge OTB to be slightly shorter. Sometimes two "bumps" will bring your OTB into range. Bullet seating consistency takes a lot of finesse even with micrometer seating dies....... Strive to get depths within a tolerance of say, .002" to .003" and soon you'll develop a "touch" that will keep you in the .0005" to .0015" range. JMHO :)

LongRange
08-15-2015, 05:51 PM
good info gotcha...when i first started loading i had several of these types of problems until i found my grove...i use to seat about .003 long and seat all my bullets then run them through the seater again at the correct depth that helped me a lot...i can vary my seating depth by about .004 using different pressures on the handle.