PDA

View Full Version : Savage Hog Hunter in 308

Pages : [1] 2

acj7382
08-01-2015, 09:10 AM
I got to put my hands on one of these yesterday. I got rid of my Savage Axis in 308 and went with a Tikka CTR in 260 for my bench rifle. I didn't care much for the stock but can buy a Boyd or B and C for it later. Did like the threaded barrel to add a muzzle brake. Not too keen on the blind box magazine but my best old Remington ADL has one with no issues. Anyone own one of these and if so how tight of groups are you getting? I've got about 80 rounds of 180 grain Barnes ttsx left over from my last 308s I've yet to load and some 165 grain Sierra Game Kings. Google says it's a 10 twist so I'm wondering if I'll have to lean to the heavier bullets if I buy it. MSRP wS a lot higher but I found this one new for $419.00. Should I buy or not. Going to use in ground box blind so the weight isn't going to be an issue. 2@ inch barrel concerns me on 400 to 500 yard shots but the 22 inch wasn't an issue. I wouldn't think I'd lose more than 200 fps with 2 inches less. Would like some input before dropping the cash. Thanks in advance.

jpdown
08-01-2015, 09:48 AM
I picked up a hog hunter about a month ago to use for a build. And $419.00 is a very good price. I did not shoot it out of the box. But I've got to say, with a muzzle brake and a pillar/glass bedded Boyd's Pro-Varmint stock, this hog hunter has turned out to be the most pleasant and accurate shooting .308 I have ever owned. It shoots hand-loads with 168 gr Hornady AMAX and RL-15 so well (2,650 MV; sub 0.5" 3-shot groups), I'm not going to bother with working up a load with heavier or lighter bullets.

BlueDog
08-01-2015, 10:40 AM
I agree with JP, I've had my HogHunter for years. Picked it up from Buds when they were $380. I never shot it in stock trim, but it sports a Boyd's Pro Varmint, bedded and pillared, and wears a CDI bottom metal. It shoots very nice and isn't picky ammo wise, as its shot everything I've put through it well. I even pulled a 3/4" group with cheap Turkish made NATO rounds (I believe they are 147 gr). The gun seems to prefer bullets in the 175 range, as they have shot the best, followed closely by the 168's. In my opinion, don't be scared off by the 20" inch barrel, and shots to 500-600 are perfectly doable.

I love my HH, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

acj7382
08-01-2015, 11:00 AM
I agree with JP, I've had my HogHunter for years. Picked it up from Buds when they were $380. I never shot it in stock trim, but it sports a Boyd's Pro Varmint, bedded and pillared, and wears a CDI bottom metal. It shoots very nice and isn't picky ammo wise, as its shot everything I've put through it well. I even pulled a 3/4" group with cheap Turkish made NATO rounds (I believe they are 147 gr). The gun seems to prefer bullets in the 175 range, as they have shot the best, followed closely by the 168's. In my opinion, don't be scared off by the 20" inch barrel, and shots to 500-600 are perfectly doable.

I love my HH, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I was just looking and noticed I have about 50 bullets loaded up. Some Barnes ttsx 180 grain and some 168 and 150 Nosler ballistic tips. All are 2.810 oal from my older Tikka T3 Lite. Will this length fit in blind box or am I going to have a fun day with inertia puller if I purchase.

jpdown
08-01-2015, 12:31 PM
At 2.810" OAL you won't have any problems. I believe I'm running the 168 AMAX at 2.830" OAL touching the lands and they fit Savage SA magazine.

acj7382
08-01-2015, 12:53 PM
At 2.810" OAL you won't have any problems. I believe I'm running the 168 AMAX at 2.830" OAL touching the lands and they fit Savage SA magazine.

Im thankful for that. I went ahead and bought it but left at the store until Tuesday when their gunsmith comes in so he can install the muzzle brake and get it shimmed up right. I didn't feel comfortable doing it. That took most spare cash since it's the wife's birthday tomorrow so all I have left is an old cheap on 3x9 Bushnell scope to mount on it. Thought about just using sights until I can afford a better scope but these old eyes will never see any groups with ought some sort of glass. Might hit some pie plate targets at 75 or so but couldn't go beyond. I had bought thr 4-14 Nightforce SHV to go on my 7 mag but for $500 less I think I like the 6.5x20 Vortex Viper I have on my 260. It's every bit as good a scope and it's just as good as the lower end Nightforce. Was thinking of trying some factory 175 grain black hills ammo to zero it in. It runs around $25.00 a box. Let me save my Barnes bullets after getting on paper. I think it should shoot 175s ok. I guess I'm saying you all talked me into it. Lol. Doesn't take much to want a new gun.

BlueDog
08-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Awesome! I'm glad you were so easily swayed. Speaking of open sights, my rear sight insert fell out while unboxing. I planned on removing them, but still... The rear sight base wasn't as easily removed. I don't know what thread locker they use, but it's good stuff. I finally had to heat the base and it came off. I think you'll like it, and when you get it all straightened out be sure and show us some pics! (And tell your wife happy birthday)

acj7382
08-01-2015, 03:33 PM
I appreciate that Bluedog. Sure wife will too. It sure does feel better in the hand than the Axis did.

kkeene
08-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Keep the scope mount filler screws to use to plug the holes left in the barrel if you remove the iron sights.

I like my hog hunter. It shoots 0.7 to 1.1 inch groups at 100 yards in the original plastic stock. Probably averages right at 1 inch. Good enough accuracy for a hunting rifle that I don't have to baby in the field.

Underdog
08-02-2015, 02:04 PM
I've got a hog hunter in 223 and removed the rear sight and installed the Williams wgrs savage peep sight on the rear scope mounting holes. The thing shoots amazing, very accurate rifle and I'm still using the factory stock. I wish it had a detachable mag but the internal box mag has worked well and I've gotten use to it. Good luck with your 308, I'm sure it will shoot real good.

acj7382
08-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks underdog. I'm anxious for them to get muzzle brake on and send some rounds down the pipe. I think I've watched every you babe video watching long range shots with the Hog Hunter. If it does well I'll leave the stock alone. If not I'll go for a Boyd's laminate for $99.00 later on. It seems to get good reviews when I google it but I came here before buying it.

acj7382
08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Well, I got muzzle brake on and scoped it up. Tried to take stock off to lower trigger down from 4 lbs to something liveable. Back screw was loose and front screw stripped out inside the Allen head. Called Savage and it will be a week before new screws come. Then back to Gun Smith to get screw out. Going to shoot next week but sure hate a 4.5 lb trigger. Go figure. At least Savage is shipping screws for free. Bolt doesn't seem to extract unless a fast pull back. Bolt feels rough. Not too sure what I think right now. Guess I will wait to see how it shoots.

kkeene
08-06-2015, 09:00 PM
You can get screws from Home Depot / Lowe's / Ace / ... if you don't want to wait. Buy them a little long and trim to needed length.

Savages are not known to be silky smooth, but there could be issues with your gun if it is really rough. Example - the action screw could too long and hitting the bottom of the bolt. Is it rough on lifting the bolt or is it rough pulling / pushing the bolt fore/aft?

acj7382
08-06-2015, 10:46 PM
It's just all over rough compared to the Tikka I'm used to. Actually I don't recall the Axis I had being as rough but it had several rounds down it. Fired one round through to see what extraction was like on fired round and it did extract ok. I don't mind waiting on the screw. My gun smith is going to have to get the one out before I can ever get a new one in it. My hexagon hole is totally round. If it's going to be very costly I'm sending to Savage and let them do it. We stripped 2 Allen wrenches before rounding out the inside. Feels like they put red lock tote on the threads. Rear screw was super loose.

acj7382
08-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Don't know how to post pictures on here but dime sized 5 shot groups using 178 Amax and 180 grain Barnes ttsx. It's a keeper for sure. Bolt lt got smoother after 15-20 rounds. Can't wait for new screw to get trigger down some. Overall Savage done good. It doesn't do as well with 165 and 168s but I need to experiment with powder a little.

Klondike
08-08-2015, 04:10 PM
I like mine in .308.

I know many of you are boyds fans but I stocked my Hog Hunter with a B&C "Savage "Varmint/Tactical" - Short action - Blind magazine/CENTERFEED" model 2997. It has a full bedding block and while making a heavy rifle it is a sub 1" gun. Just keep searching the internet and eventually you can buy one for $199. Olive with black webbing looks really nice.

I know I will be laughed of the forums but I kill deer all day with 44gr of IMR4064 and 125gr Nosler Accubonds. The round is super accurate and it drops deer like a bag of hammers. With the stock and the lighter bullets not need for a brake as it kicks light.

With respect to the roughness of the action I have a little over 1200 rounds through mine and the action smooths out quite nice over time

acj7382
08-08-2015, 05:00 PM
I really prefer the B@C stock. Got my eyes out for a deal on one. I was using 41 grains of Varget under a 178 gr Amax today and 5 shots will cover with a dime. Used H414 on the 180 grain Barnes. About the same groups. I've only got a 3/9 Vortex Diamondback on it for now but can wait on better glass. Bolt is smoothing up and extractor done real good after a few fired shots. 125 Nosler accubonds are great bullets. I'm not so sure the ten twist will stabilize them. 168s ok. 165s not as good and 150s kind of crappy. Trying to find some 175 hunting bullets.

BlueDog
08-08-2015, 06:59 PM
@Klondike, I may come off like a Boyd's fanboy, but I was SOOO close to going with the B&C. I think it's a really great stock, my one sticking point was the 2x4 fore end... Just didn't didn't care for it. I would be first in line to purchase one if they made a few mods.

Klondike
08-08-2015, 08:13 PM
@Klondike, I may come off like a Boyd's fanboy, but I was SOOO close to going with the B&C. I think it's a really great stock, my one sticking point was the 2x4 fore end... Just didn't didn't care for it. I would be first in line to purchase one if they made a few mods.

The forend on the B&C tactical stock is big. If I could have gotten the M40 and DBM without breaking the bank I would have.

Good stocks and they fit the savage Hog Hunter great

wingspar
08-11-2015, 04:03 PM
I have the Hog Hunter in .308. As you have discovered, the bolt gets smoother with use. I put the B&C Medalist/Varmint stock on mine along with a Nikon M-308 4-16x42 scope on it. Rear sight interferes with flip up lens caps. The stock is heavy. My rifle now weighs 12 pounds, and it helps to soak up some of the recoil. Enough that I’ve decided not to put a muzzle brake on it. This is a target rifle, so I welcome the weight. Mine came with the trigger adjusted to a constant 3 lbs 6 oz and I doubt I’ll touch the adjustment.

I’ve been using Hornady 168 grain A-Max bullets and IMR 4895 and am pleased with my results. 3/4 inch at 100 yards from someone who flinches alot.

The site the photo is hosted on is having problems, but it should post eventually.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/159470803/original.jpg