PDA

View Full Version : 10 FCP-SR 10 round mag, wait I mean 9!

Pages : [1] 2

powderburnz
07-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Finally got my 10FCR-SR (22441). Great Gun, the mag is junk. Won't hold the tenth round at all. Called savage, they said there was a bad run of those which I already knew thanks to this forum. She asked for the SN of the gun and said they'll send me a new one right away. They did, I got it promptly. It has the same SN as the original mag and IT only holds 9 also, what the hell. Has anyone modded these yet?

J.Baker
07-24-2015, 07:49 PM
I can tell you right now they're not going to change/modify anything as they already have tens of thousands invested in the molds for these. Mag isn't junk though as it works...the folks at Savage just can't count very well.

powderburnz
07-24-2015, 07:59 PM
I can tell you right now they're not going to change/modify anything as they already have tens of thousands invested in the molds for these. Mag isn't junk though as it works...the folks at Savage just can't count very well.

Look, I'm a huge savage fan but if I had to count their magazine problems I'd run out of fingers and toes. How hard can it be to make a magazine? The 2015 model fcp-sr was suppose to have the improved mag.

J.Baker
07-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Believe it or not, ask any engineer at any firearms manufacturer and they will tell you that a stacked magazine is the hardest and most expensive part on any firearm to manufacture. I would venture to say that 3-5 times as much money is spent developing a magazine for a single cartridge size than is spent on developing the rest of the rifle it goes to.

As for an improved mag, I don't know where you're getting that. The only difference is that it's a higher capacity magazine. Savage markets it as a 10-round mag and it's not, but that's it's only downfall.

powderburnz
07-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Believe it or not, ask any engineer at any firearms manufacturer and they will tell you that a stacked magazine is the hardest and most expensive part on any firearm to manufacture. I would venture to say that 3-5 times as much money is spent developing a magazine for a single cartridge size than is spent on developing the rest of the rifle it goes to.

As for an improved mag, I don't know where you're getting that. The only difference is that it's a higher capacity magazine. Savage markets it as a 10-round mag and it's not, but that's it's only downfall.

You hit the nail on the head. All they would've needed to do is make the whole mag maybe 3/4" taller. It's a great 8 round mag!

J.Baker
07-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Mine's actually a 9.5 round mag as can be seen in the photo's here...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42809-Savage-10T-magazines&p=324862&viewfull=1#post324862

powderburnz
07-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Mine's actually a 9.5 round mag as can be seen in the photo's here...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42809-Savage-10T-magazines&p=324862&viewfull=1#post324862

So the 10fcp-sr and the 10t share the same mag?

J.Baker
07-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Yes and no. The 10T comes with the standard 3 or 4-round magazine which uses the same upper metal piece as the 10-round magazine. Both models also use the same bottom metal surround to retain them.

powderburnz
07-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Also if you look at some of the older 10fcp-sr's like on YouTube and even on this forum they have an all steel mag, much taller and looks like a single stack. Back then the complaint was they jiggled and made noise. Some guy on this forum has a video on YouTube of an insert that stops the rattle. At least they fit 10 then. Then savage fixed the rattle with a different mag that holds 8-9 rounds. Do I have this right?

J.Baker
07-24-2015, 09:10 PM
The all metal magazines were AI magazines and had different bottom metal to accept them, both of which were very expensive. Thus the introduction of the new 10 err 9 round magazine that works with the standard Savage DBM bottom metal.

powderburnz
07-24-2015, 09:17 PM
The all metal magazines were AI magazines and had different bottom metal to accept them, both of which were very expensive. Thus the introduction of the new 10 err 9 round magazine that works with the standard Savage DBM bottom metal.

Thanks much for the education, that's what I love about this forum. I will still be calling Savage Monday morning and I won't talk to the first person they give me.

vincent7
07-25-2015, 12:00 PM
I hope yours at least feeds reliable? .308?

see:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45035-10-FCP-feed-issue

Got a replaceent magazine yesterday, and now it's just jamming 1 in 9-10 rounds (fits 10 if i install the mag into the rifle slowly, and work the bolt with care) instead of 3-4 in 9 rounds with the original mag..

Going to work on the first / original mag to see if i can get it to work properly, using mag 2 as an example since that one is almost trouble free, as long as i work the bolt slowly.

I like the trigger, stock and accuracy of this FCP, and Savage's customer service reps are friendly, but this continuing crappy magazine issue puts a big dent in my overall impression of this model.

Don't sell us stuff that's not working right Savage, bad news spreads way faster then good news.

powderburnz
07-26-2015, 08:39 PM
i hope yours at least feeds reliable? .308?

See:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45035-10-fcp-feed-issue

got a replaceent magazine yesterday, and now it's just jamming 1 in 9-10 rounds (fits 10 if i install the mag into the rifle slowly, and work the bolt with care) instead of 3-4 in 9 rounds with the original mag..

Going to work on the first / original mag to see if i can get it to work properly, using mag 2 as an example since that one is almost trouble free, as long as i work the bolt slowly.

i like the trigger, stock and accuracy of this fcp, and savage's customer service reps are friendly, but this continuing crappy magazine issue puts a big dent in my overall impression of this model.

Don't sell us stuff that's not working right savage, bad news spreads way faster then good news.

amen!!

powderburnz
07-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Talked to Savage customer service again. Now they want the two magazines back and they are shipping me yet another but she said she was going to test it before sending it. We'll see, I'm sure she'll get ten to fit. Boy, the lips on that mag really spread out on the rim end of the case. If you breathe on the mag the tenth one pops out. With ten in the mag and the bolt closed I can't get the mag in far enough to click and seat in. I have to open the bolt then when the mag clicks into place number 10 pops out of the mag.

J.Baker
07-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Talked to Savage customer service again. Now they want the two magazines back and they are shipping me yet another but she said she was going to test it before sending it. We'll see, I'm sure she'll get ten to fit. Boy, the lips on that mag really spread out on the rim end of the case. If you breathe on the mag the tenth one pops out. With ten in the mag and the bolt closed I can't get the mag in far enough to click and seat in. I have to open the bolt then when the mag clicks into place number 10 pops out of the mag.

As I said in the other post and illustrated with photos, it's NOT a ten round magazine. You guys are just going to have to accept that sooner or later. The fact Savage mistakenly called it a ten round mag is beside the point.

powderburnz
07-27-2015, 06:13 PM
As I said in the other post and illustrated with photos, it's NOT a ten round magazine. You guys are just going to have to accept that sooner or later. The fact Savage mistakenly called it a ten round mag is beside the point.

You ever buy a car with a 5 speed and just accept the fact you can only use 4? WTF

bandj524
07-27-2015, 06:19 PM
My magazines must be the exception because I have 2 10 round magazines that actually hold 10 rounds. I called CS and told them about this problem and received replacements. All I did was take the magazines and load them with 10 rounds and used velcro straps to hold the 10 rounds in the magazine and left in the gun safe for a few days and low and behold they work.

powderburnz
07-27-2015, 06:22 PM
My magazines must be the exception because I have 2 10 round magazines that actually hold 10 rounds. I called CS and told them about this problem and received replacements. All I did was take the magazines and load them with 10 rounds and used velcro straps to hold the 10 rounds in the magazine and left in the gun safe for a few days and low and behold they work.

Serial number on the mags? Is it 110307?

J.Baker
07-27-2015, 07:10 PM
You ever buy a car with a 5 speed and just accept the fact you can only use 4? WTF

If you're that bent out of shape over 1 round sell the rifle and go buy something else. All you're doing is beating a dead horse at this point.

greyghost
07-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Or spend 210.00 get a accurate mag bottom metal and a 10 rnd mag that works, But for some 8 rnd works also, Mag Pull is making AICS mag 5 rnd for 35 and 10 rnd for 45 they will also fit as will ruger scout rifle mags and AICS mags, This is what the original 10FCP-SR had and it worked flawlessly so I already figured this cost into this rifle an original 10FCP-SR would cost that much anyway, That's why this rifle is cheaper so I paid 675.00 plus 100.00 rebate so 575 plus 210 so it cost 785 plus tax and that's still cheaper than the original at all most 1200.00 in some cases. Love it shoots like a dream, NO FTF or FTE problem solved!