PDA

View Full Version : 10 FCP-SR 10 round mag, wait I mean 9!

Pages : 1 [2]

powderburnz
07-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Or spend 210.00 get a accurate mag bottom metal and a 10 rnd mag that works, But for some 8 rnd works also, Mag Pull is making AICS mag 5 rnd for 35 and 10 rnd for 45 they will also fit as will ruger scout rifle mags and AICS mags, This is what the original 10FCP-SR had and it worked flawlessly so I already figured this cost into this rifle an original 10FCP-SR would cost that much anyway, That's why this rifle is cheaper so I paid 675.00 plus 100.00 rebate so 575 plus 210 so it cost 785 plus tax and that's still cheaper than the original at all most 1200.00 in some cases. Love it shoots like a dream, NO FTF or FTE problem solved!

I've read much about that, and maybe someday. For now I'd like to just get what I paid for. Maybe I wouldn't be so bitter but I have my fair share of savages (mostly .22's) with mag issues, just sick of it. They make such awesome rifles for the money and stop short of the finish line at times.

bandj524
07-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Serial number on the mags? Is it 110307?
where is the serial number at I have looked all over short of taking it apart and don't see one. But I have to agree with J baker its a great rifle for a good price try what I did and see if it works. It did for mine.

J.Baker
07-28-2015, 06:17 PM
My magazines must be the exception because I have 2 10 round magazines that actually hold 10 rounds. I called CS and told them about this problem and received replacements. All I did was take the magazines and load them with 10 rounds and used velcro straps to hold the 10 rounds in the magazine and left in the gun safe for a few days and low and behold they work.

The only problem I see with this solution is that it could ultimately have very negative result. The upper magazine housing is spring steel, and the rounds will not sit any deeper into the magazine than they already are. So basically what you're doing is forcing the feed lips to take a new set that's wider which could result in poor retention that leads to the magazine letting the rounds pop right out of it. The photo's in this post (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42809-Savage-10T-magazines&p=324862&viewfull=1#post324862) show exactly what I'm talking about as the 10th round is holding the lips open wider than they should be to accommodate the full width of the body of the case. If the top round is sitting up this high in your magazines you're going to end up having issues with round retention at some point.

For those who have one of the SSS extended magazines, if you pull them apart and measure the inside dimensions you'll find the new Savage magazine is pretty much identical. Savage did the exact same thing Dark Eagle did in that they simply copied an existing SSS design. Dark Eagle chose to make theirs a true 10-round magazine which meant going to a larger/more expensive billet bar stock which is why they're more expensive than the SSS units were. Savage went the molded polymer route as it's much cheaper and faster to manufacture in high volume while being just as durable for it's intended purpose.

Also, 110307 is the part number, not a serial number. Big difference! lol

powderburnz
07-28-2015, 06:22 PM
where is the serial number at I have looked all over short of taking it apart and don't see one. But I have to agree with J baker its a great rifle for a good price try what I did and see if it works. It did for mine.

Well, if you hold the mag with the cartridges pointing to the left then the number is on the very upper left of the plastic piece.

vincent7
07-28-2015, 07:51 PM
Well, if you hold the mag with the cartridges pointing to the left then the number is on the very upper left of the plastic piece.

not a serial number, just an item number.

9 or 10 rounds doesn't bug me THAT much, it's the feeding issues that i think are unacceptable.

How can you call this a 'law enforcement series' if the guns don't feed reliably? :o

J.Baker
07-28-2015, 08:30 PM
I've yet to have any feeding issues with mine, but I have noticed if you baby the bolt when you cycle it the round can pop out of the feed lips a little early and hang up. Cycle it with some authority (like all bolts should be cycled) and you shouldn't have any issues.

powderburnz
07-28-2015, 10:21 PM
I've yet to have any feeding issues with mine, but I have noticed if you baby the bolt when you cycle it the round can pop out of the feed lips a little early and hang up. Cycle it with some authority (like all bolts should be cycled) and you shouldn't have any issues.

What year is yours?

vincent7
07-29-2015, 12:52 AM

hmm, interesting; in order to avoid those jams i actually have to cycle the gun really carefully and push the bolt forward with just my thumb. If i grab the bolt handle and work it a little faster like you want to make a quick follow up shot it goes all wrong / hangs up.

In another thread there's a guy who has the same issue with his rifle that i have; his gun is apparently on its way back to Savage, so i'm curious what they're going to do with his..

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45035-10-FCP-feed-issue

(i'll wait and see before i start sending the rifle in)

J.Baker
07-29-2015, 02:15 AM
What year is yours?

Well, considering they just came out with this 10-round magazine this year, I'm going to go waaaaaaaay out on a limb and guess 2015? LOL Ship date for this review rifle from the factory to me was June 26th of this year so it's probably about as new and up-to-date as they get.

powderburnz
07-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Well, considering they just came out with this 10-round magazine this year, I'm going to go waaaaaaaay out on a limb and guess 2015? LOL Ship date for this review rifle from the factory to me was June 26th of this year so it's probably about as new and up-to-date as they get.

Don't think this was the first year they made the 10fcp-sr.

http://youtu.be/IJWVzQRnpMg

http://youtu.be/7SY-d9Zy4EI

J.Baker
07-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Don't think this was the first year they made the 10fcp-sr.

http://youtu.be/IJWVzQRnpMg

http://youtu.be/7SY-d9Zy4EI

We're talking about the magazine, not the rifle model itself. Yes, the 10FCP-SR has been around a couple years now, but as was mentioned previously they used different bottom metal that accepted Accuracy International (AI) mags (as shown in your two links). The mags in question - the NEW Savage 10-round polymer mags - were just introduced this year (2015) on this and a couple other models.