PDA

View Full Version : Saw a NICE Savage today!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

pdog06
05-25-2010, 10:36 PM
So I walk into a local gunshop today to browse thru some pistols and see what bullets they had. As Im getting ready to leave I notice a Savage that stuck out among the 8-10 he had there. This one caught my attention and I cant get it out of my head, which is gonna get me in trouble I think ;D.

It was a stainless steel Model 16 in .243(caliber may be only reason I wouldnt get it), but the reason it was so special was this.
-instead of the normal black synthetic stock on a model 16, this one had a HIGH gloss walnut Monte Carlo stock on it, similar to those on a 14 American Classic, but nicer checkering and finish. :o
- It also had a 24" ST-FLUTED sporter contour barrel, which I hadnt seen before.
- It had all the stainless hardwre, DBM, smooth barrel nut, bottom bolt release button, jeweled bolt body, etc.

All this made one H*ll of a sweet looking rifle, and one that I cannot find in Savages catalog, their website, or anywhere. The only downfall for me is Id want it for a deer rifle and would want bigger than a 243, and wouldnt find another fluted barrel like that to do a swap with. The dealer said he didnt know the model number as he couldnt find it either. Said the place he orders from said they had a very nice Savage in stock so he said send it. It is priced at like $599 though.

Only thing I can think is it was something ordered thru the custom shop and then cancelled or something. Dont know, but he's trying to find the same one in a bigger caliber, and if he does it may be mine.

Anyone else seen one similar? I know I could build one but thought this one was an oddball for a NIB rifle.

Carvera
05-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Out here in Utah there are a few stores called Cal-Ranch.

My brother in law works at the Spanish Fork store, and they have a few of the rifles you mentioned. The only difference being that the rifles there have a hinged floorplate, instead of the DBM. The rifles also come in long action. I've seen them in .243, .270. and .30-06

The price is also higher, I believe they want $699 for theirs.

Those fluted sporter barrels are something nice though!

rjtfroggy
05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Mike why are you complaining about the price?Around here that would be at least $150 more.I have not found a dealer here that sells anything for less than 30% mark-up.
I gave Effie all the specs I wanted on a custom rifle and she gave me the MSRP-$841, so I gave the dealer I've been using her phone number and asked him to place the order,when all was said and done he charged me $4 more plus tax.
I am now waiting for a new guy to open his shop, he is waiting for all his paper work from the state and feds.,even though he has all his approvals from them the town will not let him open the doors until he has them in hand.The poor guy has already laid out almost $60k for counters and stock and can't even begin to make dollar 1 back because of the town. The only bad part about this new store is it will be 8minutes from my house.

pdog06
05-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Wasnt really complaining bout the price. Pretty sure I read it was 599 and not 699, but not sure if I wanna go back to make sure(if ya know what I mean ;) ;D). I would want one in a different caliber though.

Carlos, do you happen to know the model number(model 16?????)?

rjtfroggy
05-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Mike I know how you feel. It is to the point my wife wants me to give her my credit card when I am going to the gun shop.
Kids are grown,bills are paid, but this fixed income SUCKS. Thankfully it is my only addiction. No bars,no golf,no boating, so I try and tell her I am actually saving money. It doesn't work.

Uncle Jack
05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
".....It is to the point my wife wants me to give her my credit card when I am going to the gun shop."

That's okay as long as she gives you hers when she heads to the Mall.

uj

Carvera
05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I was told this morning that the rifle is obviously a variation of the model 16/116.

I was wrong on the price here locally, it is $649.99

The rifle looked up had a satin finish clasic stock, not really a high gloss.

The catalog number was; 18853

This was for a .30-06 rifle.

rjtfroggy
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
UJ she isn't a spender. She has cift cards on her dresser that are 2 1/2-3 years old, the only time I worry is when she sees a shoe store. What is it with women and shoes.

oldguy
05-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Id want it for a deer rifle and would want bigger than a 243,

Sorry but can't resist, what size deer you hunting if you need larger then 243. Never lost a deer using the 243.

pdog06
05-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Big ones...LOL

No, a 243 will take care of a deer, but I also bear hunt ;).

quit tryin to get me in trouble. The caliber is about the only thing holding me back. :D

pdog06
05-26-2010, 02:06 PM
thanks for the info Carlos. I'm gonna have another dealer that I normally deal with look into it and see if they can get one. Will probably be cheaper as well.

Blue Avenger
05-26-2010, 10:41 PM
.243s take care of Black bears also!

pdog06
05-26-2010, 10:52 PM
thanks for the support Greg..LOL

lostart
05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Sounds like a sweet gun....Wish there were a few around here :-\

Oh....buy it .243s are good stuff

Blue Avenger
05-26-2010, 11:07 PM
thanks for the support Greg..LOL
No problem, What I am here for, support the site members!!! Then You can punch it to a .244AI ;) after all we know you leave nothing stock :-* ;D

pa hog
05-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Hmm, it' a Centerfeed sooo0! an Ackley would feed out of it,,you just got 243Ackley dies.. I'm sure the guy that did that Ackley would do another.

Salvo
05-27-2010, 10:17 PM
My feeling is that Savage is missing out on a lot of sales unnecessarily, by failing to offer the SS barreled actions in all of the available stocks.

A few months back, I ordered a SS model 16 HF action in a laminated thumbhole stock from the custom shop, and the gun has generated a lot of interest in this area. It's amazing how many people are put off by the plastic stocks, and would buy a stainless Savage if it were available stocked in wood.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/arwatch/Firearms/th_IMG_1311.jpg (http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/arwatch/Firearms/IMG_1311.jpg)

( Click the image to see it full-size )

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/arwatch/Firearms/th_IMG_1313.jpg (http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/arwatch/Firearms/IMG_1313.jpg)

Any of the classic stocks would look great with a SS action too. The only additional expense on Savage's end would be in inventory and advertising, they already manufacture all of the parts necessary.

From my point of view, it seems like they are really missing the boat by not offering a blue or stainless steel option on all of their centerfire rifles.

pdog06
05-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Ya, that does look nice.

Blue Avenger
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
there would be better pricing if you got one of the big wholesale distributes to order a bunch.

Salvo
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
pdog06:

It's another 24" .243 though...