PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Barrel Disaster Recovery

Pages : [1] 2

genesis2214
04-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone,

Spent hours this weekend trying, unsuccessfully, to remove a smooth barrel nut from my Model 14 .308. In desperation took advice from our site and tried using a hacksaw to cut the barrel nut off. I was able to chip away at it but is looks and feels frozen or glued to the barrel.

I used some DPMS barrel brackets in my large vise with leather around the barrel. I even used a 4 foot black pipe as a cheater bar to get the vice torqued down. My first attempt was using the Wheeler barrel nut wrench for the smooth nut - it has a retainer bolt to tighten the wrench to the nut and a brass shim that purports to protect the barrel nut. All it really did was slip on the barrel nut. After I snapped the retainer bolt, visited Lowes, bought several more, and snapped them too I was starting to get mad.

I had wanted to save the nut and barrel, try to get it recrowned, and reinstall them both. With the hacksaw, I ruined the nut and in fact the barrel too. Now I just want it off and will get a new barrel and new nut with grooves. I'm headed to a gunsmith tomorrow but fear the action may get bent up trying to take this abomination off.

Is there anyway to save my gun? I fear it is ruined.

foxx
04-13-2015, 11:20 PM
no worries. first try a pipe wrench. it works for me.

genesis2214
04-13-2015, 11:24 PM
Yep, tried that too. Used 18" pipe wrench. As much as I tightened the barreling the vise, it would not come loose. It was tricky to even get the wrench to purchase on the nut but it would not budge.

foxx
04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
I have always needed an action wrench with the pipe wrench. Or an actual barrel vice. Dremel with a cut off wheel will work, too, but it is harder than it sounds. I made several cuts and had to pry off pieces as I went. I also cut into the threads of the barrel when cutting. It did not hurt the barrel any, but it was nerve wracking.

sharpshooter
04-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Shoulda got the right tool for the job, you'd be money ahead.

olddav
04-14-2015, 11:40 AM
I assume the barrel nut is cut all the way through. It will not release untill it is.

jonbearman
04-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Sounds like someone loctited the barrel etc. First off trying to take a factory tightened barrel off without a receiver wrench is unsafe as you may distort the receiver trying to get it apart. Get one if you don't own one from Jim at Northland. Then when you put the wrench head into your vise you will be assured it wont twist the receiver. Then get a barrel vice and install it within 4 inches of the barrel nut and tighten it to the spec from the manufacturer. You can use a 15 inch crescent wrench from harbor freight for cheap. Then get a propane torch and warm up the receiver ring till you cant touch it but not glowing, just enough to expand the receiver and it should unscrew fairly easy with the help of the crescent wrench. Jim sells a good bench vice for barrels as well. You can get a barrel vice from sinclairs too.

missed
04-14-2015, 07:23 PM
heat. 300 degrees the loctite will loosen up.

genesis2214
04-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Okay so thanks for all the ideas. I made the executive decision to take it to a smith. The guy checking my gun in wasn't sure that the nut would ever come off but was going to check with their head guy.

The action wrench probably would have done the trick. I did try heating the barrel nut but it didn't seem to help. Sorry I didn't take any pictures before I took it in. I didn't want any evidence of my failure!

genesis2214
04-14-2015, 09:40 PM
I was able to hacksaw part of the nut but was afraid to get closer to the receiver for fear of damaging it.

genesis2214
04-14-2015, 09:45 PM
So what did you do with the damaged threads on the barrel?

snowgetter1
04-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Action wrench + big A$$ pipe wrench = loose smooth nut

missed
04-14-2015, 10:07 PM
One of the last ones I removed was getting scary. Action clamped in action wrench, heated barrel nut and hit pipe wrench with hammer. Striking blows seem to be more effective as continuous force will be more likely to tear stuff up.

Here is who put your barrel nut on...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8Hyf5tf3wwi-CtU7GUmto6d7ShTUk-WlD-i2SBUntUXfahODcUoulI_q93Q http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/14/f1f2a89472c81e0030e1ee28d40868d7.jpg

Along with a bottle of loctite. I just snug mine up now.

foxx
04-14-2015, 10:08 PM
I was able to hacksaw part of the nut but was afraid to get closer to the receiver for fear of damaging it.

The cutting wheel made a nice clean cut across the threads. It really did not affect their function. I don't remember having to do anything to fix it, I just put a new SLOTTED barrel nut on it and it sas fine. If anything, I just ground the edges down a bit with the same dremel but with a grinding tip of some kind. I've done that with other barrel threads that were damaged, I know. Just remove the offending part and twist a nut on it to confirm there's no burrs. No harm no foul. If it works, it works. I am guessing you could remove a pretty large "patch" of threads and it would not harm anything as long as you don't leave burrs or cross-thread them.

genesis2214
04-14-2015, 11:07 PM
"Candy-gram for Mongo!"
"Nooo, Mongo straight!"

genesis2214
04-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Oh, yeah I see what you mean about the threads. It will be interesting to see what I get back from my shop. And how many pieces I get back.

genesis2214
05-25-2015, 12:05 AM
The smith took three weeks but he got the barrel off with the nut still attached. Indeed the barrel was toast. Bought a new ER Shaw. Got another smith to cut it down from 24" to 22" and apply a recessed crown. I installed it myself. Have been wanting to shoot it but it won't stop raining in North Texas.

genesis2214
05-25-2015, 12:08 AM
I have pictures but can't post them on the site from my iPad. Does anyone know how to do that?

missed
05-25-2015, 06:28 PM
I have pictures but can't post them on the site from my iPad. Does anyone know how to do that?
Are you using tapatalk?

Should be able to hit the IMG button there. Other than that I'm anti apple so I couldn't help.

Yeah I'm ready for a break from the rain, another 1.5 " today. The range is a miserable mud hole.

Hotolds442
05-25-2015, 08:58 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?16607-The-ultimate-guide-to-posting-pictures-so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it!

The server does not allow photo uploads, you'll have to use a free photo vault and then link to your images.