PDA

View Full Version : bolt head assembley: ejector jammed

Pages : [1] 2

foxx
03-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Looking for advice:

I was assembling new bolt heads and, while driving the retaining pin for the ejector into place, I jammed / jaked something up.

The pin was only 2/3 or so thru when I stopped, double-checked for function and noticed the ejector was jammed flush with the bolt face and would not spring back out. I tried backing the pin back out by pulling with pliers, but couldn't so I punched it back out with a slave pin from the other side.

The ejector is still stuck in the "down/compressed" position even though I can easily run a slave pin thru the hole for the retaining pin.

Stumped, I put it in a zip-lock baggy and sprayed some Kroil on it hoping it will work itself loose. That was 10 mins ago.

Any other suggestions?

devildogandboy
03-27-2015, 02:56 PM
try rapping it hard on a block of wood? i have had some stick and use the block of wood so as not to hurt anything. i don't think mine were stuck as bad as yours though. good luck.

Bruce

foxx
03-27-2015, 03:10 PM
keeping it in the bag, I slammed it HARD, face down on my bench top 3x enough so as to seriously dent the bench top each time. Nothing. LOL

What a dumb-a_ _ I am!

Any other suggestions?

jonbearman
03-27-2015, 03:24 PM
What bolt face is it? Maybe it would be easier and posting for a complete one. Or have a machine shop use a tiny carbide end mill to remove it. The metal that the ejector is made out of is probably galled and it is stuck hard. You would think it would budge but it wont. You could try reassembling and firing the gun to loosen it. The recoil shock might jack it out alittle.

Hotolds442
03-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Try driving it in further. That may break the galled piece off enough to free it up.

Do this at your own risk tho Norm, sometimes it works, others not so much.

foxx
03-27-2015, 03:31 PM
.308 s/a

Well, I haven't given up yet... have a few extras, anyhow.

Will try firing it as you said, then take to machinist. drive it further as Hotolds said... or swap it out for one on a single shot and not worry about it.
Geez-o-pete!

JW
03-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Set it in a vice, warm it up with a heat gun/hair dryer and try tapping the side of the head (Lightly) with a small hammer
Spring might push it out
You could also try hitting face down as you have already done but with the heat
Jack

LongRange
03-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Looking for advice:

I was assembling new bolt heads and, while driving the retaining pin for the ejector into place, I jammed / jaked something up.

The pin was only 2/3 or so thru when I stopped, double-checked for function and noticed the ejector was jammed flush with the bolt face and would not spring back out. I tried backing the pin back out by pulling with pliers, but couldn't so I punched it back out with a slave pin from the other side.

The ejector is still stuck in the "down/compressed" position even though I can easily run a slave pin thru the hole for the retaining pin.

Stumped, I put it in a zip-lock baggy and sprayed some Kroil on it hoping it will work itself loose. That was 10 mins ago.

Any other suggestions?

sounds like the ejector was not inline and either bent when driving the retaining pin in or the retaining pin sheared a tiny piece off and jammed the ejector...try a small jewelers screw driver or allen wrench...put it through the retaining hole...stand the bolt on its face and tap the screw driver/allen wrench with a small hammer and jiggle it around...could also be carbon or gunk build up...soak it in carbon cleaner if that dont work.

RatMag
03-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Since you have the Kroil on board, inertia is about the ONLY way you are going to get it out. What I did, was to drill a hole in the side of a 2x2 board, and insert the bolt head shaft into it. I then placed a 2x4 board on the concrete, so there would only be a "give" in the wood itself. It took literally 5 really hard smacks to the 2x4 to finally get the ejector to move. Once it finally got started, I ended up breaking the 2x2 on the next solid smack, but the ejector finally came out. You can't baby it. It will either be fixed, or you will need another head anyways.

Good luck to ya Brother!!

DK

foxx
03-29-2015, 03:09 PM
DK, I'm not "seeing it". Can you draw me a picture / sketch and post it?

Or are you saying make something like an inertia bullet puller?

devildogandboy
03-29-2015, 10:54 PM
hey, how much longer is it going to take for you to get that ejector out, you've had 2 full days now!(LOL) i think it's time to pull out the Black & Decker with a small bit and drill it! i'll check back in another day or so, i don't want to lose track of this series.

Bruce

foxx
03-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Well, I am waiting for a decent suggestion! ;) JK
Haven't done any of these yet.

I have most hope for the inertia hammer type idea. But I gotta tell ya, when I hit on the bench 3x, it was really moving! It was in one corner of a large Zip loc bag and I held it by the other corner of the bag and slung it HARD on the table, face hit first. Got nothing.

I'll get it out, even if I have to drill it, but I am pretty tied-up with work and church all of the next 10 days.

wbm
03-30-2015, 10:02 AM
I'll get it out, even if I have to drill it, but I am pretty tied-up with work and church all of the next 10 days

I feel the frustration from here. Been there done that. No fun! Course church always comes first but you got to prioritize dude....put work on the bottom of the list of three and get that Savage healed. If all else fails, pray over it....after you cuss it.:cool:

foxx
03-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Oh, I've cussed it, for sure.

Y'all inspired me to have another quick go at it...

Tried pushing it in further to break it free. Won't budge.

Pushing a small screw driver through the retaining pin hole does nothing. It has a clear, unobstructed path all the way through. Can't get anything in there at an angle to "pick at it" or anything.

Tried the "inertia" trick again... Slung that baby onto my workbench so hard it ripped outta the bag and went flying across the room. Unfortunately, I had forgotten the fact I put the retaining pin in the bag, too, for "safe keeping." Oops.
Not sure, but I thought I heard a voice from the late, great Ernie Harwell saying, "It's going, going, GONE!"

Well, it's definitely on the back burner now. If it weren't for the interest this debacle has created, I'd just relegate it to the "parts for a later, single-feed-project" shelf.

Will look at it again next week..

And, yes wbm, my priorities are a bit outta whack, I know. I blame my wife. If I send you her cell number, maybe you could help me out by explaining all of that to her! :)

GeoBoy
03-30-2015, 09:08 PM
I feel the frustration from here. Been there done that. No fun! Course church always comes first but you got to prioritize dude....put work on the bottom of the list of three and get that Savage healed. If all else fails, pray over it....after you cuss it.:cool:
Never put work at the bottom of your priorities or you won't be able to fix this problem, because you won't have the money to resolve your problem or be able to enjoy the sport of shooting.

RatMag
04-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Or are you saying make something like an inertia bullet puller?

Yes!!! That is exactly what I'm talking about. No need to be gentle. Remove the extractor, and SMACK IT!!!

DK

Belt_Fed
04-09-2015, 12:30 PM
I know this going to sound bad, but drill a hole just big enough to get the bolt head shaft through a 2x2 and then notch the 2x2 just enough to get a pin or wire or whatever through the bolt head retainer pin hole(this is just to keep it from falling out,pressure should be on the bold face). With 3 ft+ of length it should increase the speed at which the bolt face hits the wooden table. This is just a suggestion but it would be a multiplier to gain "head speed" ;-)

foxx
04-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Yep. I will try this. If anyone else has ideas, please speak up / keep suggestions coming. I got a lot crap going on right now, so I don't have time to try this stuff right now, but maybe next week or when things settle down.

Thanks.

Hotolds442
04-09-2015, 05:27 PM
You still messing with this?

86 it and save the headache.

foxx
04-09-2015, 05:47 PM
No I haven't had time to try. Its just a curiosity / game now. Like I said before I dont need to fix it, just dont want it to get the best of me.