PDA

View Full Version : What should I check to improve my groups?

Pages : [1] 2

Timbob
03-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Hey guys Funnily I've just purchased a 'new Savage model 116 'weather warrior' in .270 and it has the Wedge in the accustock.. Seems I got some extremely old stock!

Anyways i've been running 130g federal powershock through it and the best 3 shot group I could get was 2inches. most about 3!!!! So I think there must be an issue someone..
Ive followed the screw tightening sequence ect..

What should i look at next.

Cheers, Tim

thomae
03-20-2015, 11:06 PM
First things I would look at:
1. Try different ammo. Reloading your own allows more tailoring a load to your rifle, but if using factory ammo, some will do better than others.
2. Check the scope and all the mounting screws.
3. Make sure the barrel and the safety tang are not contacting the stock.

WinnieTheBoom
03-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Make sure you do the shooter mod!!

BigDave
03-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Hey guys Funnily I've just purchased a 'new Savage model 116 'weather warrior' in .270 and it has the Wedge in the accustock.. Seems I got some extremely old stock!

Anyways i've been running 130g federal powershock through it and the best 3 shot group I could get was 2inches. most about 3!!!! So I think there must be an issue someone..
Ive followed the screw tightening sequence ect..

What should i look at next.

Cheers, Tim
Search for an article online about tuning your stock via adjusting the torque settings on your action.
This is your cheapest option and the one to try first.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Adjust your barrel harmonics if you do not reload. Adjust your barrel to your factory load vs the opposite. How? Two ways...
Try a cheap "donut" by limbsaver. Buy the version that fits your rifle.
Sharpshooter X-Ring barrel deresonator

http://www.limbsaver.com/product/limbsaver-barrel-de-resonator/

The above is ugly and does not work for every single rifle/situation, but its worth a try because its dirt cheap. You will save a fortune in ammo. Buying 10 different types of ammo to see what works best can get very pricey. I would get a "donut" and see how it shoots with your ammo of choice. You may find you can even shoot cheaper ammo very accurately. No promises, but the price is right. Buy on Amazon
Have an adjustable harmonic device installed in your stock if it has enough room and is not made of plastic/polymer.

http://www.stocks-rifle.com/smartstock.htm

I cant comment on above. Its pricey and I imagine most shooters give it a wide berth thinking is it snake oil. It makes perfect sense to me. But I have no first hand knowledge or know of any reviews. The maker does show a detailed video of it in use on You Tube.

Go with the limbsaver donut first. Or you can buy 10x the price in different ammo.
In the end you still will want to experiment with ammo, but you may get lucky and have a barrel that really responds to the "donut".

Do not clean or over clean your bore. Leave your bore fouled. Run just one brush and one patch down the bore after a range session. Do NOT de copper. A build up of some copper is good. Only de copper when accuracy starts to fall off. Dont go for elimination of ALL your copper..ever. This practice is called Copper Equilibrium.

Frequency of deep cleaning depends on your barrel. A good high end lapped barrel should need less cleaning. Frequency of deep cleaning can be from 150/200 rounds to 600 rounds. Do the very minimal clean between each range session. Clean your bolt and magazine as much as you want to...ie every range session. Just keep the barrel moderately fouled most of the time.

also. read this:
http://www.deerhuntingchat.com/forum/best-270-ammo-8127.html

foxx
03-21-2015, 05:58 PM
If you like, Savage will replace that stock with a new version for free. Anyhow, they did for me when I called to get a replacement recoil lug.

Tom Thomson
03-21-2015, 09:50 PM
I believe the first thing I would look at is the group size with some of your other guns. Forgive me for saying it, but it may not be the rifle. In my case I know it's not.
tommyt

BigDave
03-22-2015, 01:25 PM
I believe the first thing I would look at is the group size with some of your other guns. Forgive me for saying it, but it may not be the rifle. In my case I know it's not.
tommyt

That is a good point!!
Savage found that the "Wedge" did little or nothing. Did it actually make things worse? I know they didnt use it for long. That was ages ago. I think I read about owners simply discarding the wedge. Is that true/possible?
But call Savage and see if they wont send you a new, modern Accustock. Use the link I gave you for using action screw tightening procedures and then test tuning via torque settings. Please actually read that article. That is a ZERO dollar procedure...assuming you have an inexpensive Wheeler Fat Wrench/torque tool.

Timbob
03-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Make sure you do the shooter mod!!

What is this mod you speak of mate?

Timbob
03-28-2015, 04:28 PM
That is a good point!!
Savage found that the "Wedge" did little or nothing. Did it actually make things worse? I know they didnt use it for long. That was ages ago. I think I read about owners simply discarding the wedge. Is that true/possible?
But call Savage and see if they wont send you a new, modern Accustock. Use the link I gave you for using action screw tightening procedures and then test tuning via torque settings. Please actually read that article. That is a ZERO dollar procedure...assuming you have an inexpensive Wheeler Fat Wrench/torque tool.

I might try that,

I'm in New Zealand so not sure what the Savage policy is out side of the state, will look into it.

Cheers

foxx
03-29-2015, 01:16 AM
What is this mod you speak of mate?

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that was an irreverent "tongue in cheek" slam/suggestion that it might/ possibly/maybe be shooter's error. :)

Russmerle
03-29-2015, 06:45 AM
I like this video... Some helpful tips I guess

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=weBuYmnpg38

Timbob
04-09-2015, 02:17 AM
Cool video @Russmerle . Im putting new rings on to see if that helps and try some handload. going hunting Reds the next few days as its the rut over here in NZ. Will have to make do with the accuracy issues till after this. Hopefully get em roaring and in nice and close anyways.

Timbob
04-09-2015, 02:19 AM
P.s no response from my email to savage customer service after 2 weeks. Not very good. Anyone on here got a reliable contact

Timbob
04-09-2015, 03:41 AM
👍
[emoji106] [emoji106]

04-14-2015, 04:55 AM
Before you start screwing around with your rifle and ammo - get someone else who you know is a competent shooter to give it go.
If it groups tight, then it's not the rifle's fault......just sayin'

Timbob
04-14-2015, 04:56 AM
Before you start screwing around with your rifle and ammo - get someone else who you know is a competent shooter to give it go.
If it groups tight, then it's not the rifle's fault......just sayin'
Yep. Been there done that. Cheers

04-14-2015, 05:04 AM
Ok Tim, very good. Just checking, you know......the old process of elimination.

Teslawhiskey
04-14-2015, 09:14 AM
My groups tightened up a little with two business cards about a third of the way up the barrel.

Timbob
04-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Ok Tim, very good. Just checking, you know......the old process of elimination.
That's cool mate, I'm going with new ring saddles and ammo for a start

Timbob
04-14-2015, 04:42 PM
My groups tightened up a little with two business cards about a third of the way up the barrel.
Interesting... Barrel harmonics were improved I suppose?