PDA

View Full Version : What should I check to improve my groups?

Pages : 1 [2]

Dogfish
04-14-2015, 04:54 PM
I would call Savage first. They are available.

Change only one thing at a time, then shoot. You could end up fixing one problem and creating another if you change a number of variables. in between testing.

Timbob
04-14-2015, 06:57 PM
I would call Savage first. They are available.

Change only one thing at a time, then shoot. You could end up fixing one problem and creating another if you change a number of variables. in between testing.
They could just reply to my email.. Will do rings first then ammo.. I may need to leave my rifle a little more fouled as another member has suggested.
Out of interest when on the range shooting does any one clean there bore at regular intervals?

Teslawhiskey
04-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Interesting... Barrel harmonics were improved I suppose?

Yes, I read somewhere that sporty barrels sometimes shoot better if they are not completely free floated so I started with one card and went to three, two seemed to shoot the best.

sixonetonoffun
04-15-2015, 10:44 AM
I have noticed sporter barreled 270's have an incredible barrel whip. Sorta supports the idea of shimming to optimize barrel harmonics. Though I imagine it may have to be revisited with and changes in ammo.

Dogfish
04-15-2015, 12:34 PM
They could just reply to my email.. Will do rings first then ammo.. I may need to leave my rifle a little more fouled as another member has suggested.
Out of interest when on the range shooting does any one clean there bore at regular intervals?

Understood that they could reply, but they haven't. Just providing an alternative solution.

Timbob
04-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Understood that they could reply, but they haven't. Just providing an alternative solution.
Yep cheers. International calling attracts horrendous fees over here. Would prefer not to waste my money... Email is far preferred.

tastelikechicken
04-16-2015, 02:22 AM
I use Hornady Whitetail at 130 grains and get moa in the same gun minus the accustock

tammons
04-16-2015, 07:18 PM
What is your base, ring and scope ?

Timbob
04-16-2015, 08:02 PM
I've got Weaver bases and steel rings. The strap saddle ones. Can't remember model off the top of my head. And a Vortex diamond back 4-12x40 BDC

Timbob
04-16-2015, 08:02 PM
What is your base, ring and scope ?
[emoji115]

tammons
04-16-2015, 08:24 PM
A 270 is not an inherently accurate round but you should be able to get it to tighten up to 1 moa for a few shots in a run.

#1 - I would check to make sure the tang and entire barrel is free floated.

Then Check the operator.

Then just shoot some known good accuracy handloads. Maybe like a 130-140 berger bullets over the right powder.

After that or before if not shooting 1 moa or under, I would start off by swapping to a one piece scope base, check and bed the scope base if necessary.
IE some savage mount holes are not quite square. I got one that was way off.
Get some good rings and hone them if not perfectly aligned. Takes a hone kit to do that but its easy.

After that if still not shooting tight the entire normal accuracy routine. Properly pillar bed the stock (or bed a different stock), machined recoil lug, SSS trigger or other, make sure the tang and entire barrel is free floated.

Personally if I am setting up a rifle for accuracy, I do all the above first thing as it eliminates a lot of potential problems.

Timbob
04-16-2015, 08:39 PM
A 270 is not an inherently accurate round but you should be able to get it to tighten up to 1 moa for a few shots in a run.

#1 - I would check to make sure the tang and entire barrel is free floated.

Then Check the operator.

Then just shoot some known good accuracy handloads. Maybe like a 130-140 berger bullets over the right powder.

After that or before if not shooting 1 moa or under, I would start off by swapping to a one piece scope base, check and bed the scope base if necessary.
IE some savage mount holes are not quite square. I got one that was way off.
Get some good rings and hone them if not perfectly aligned. Takes a hone kit to do that but its easy.

After that if still not shooting tight the entire normal accuracy routine. Properly pillar bed the stock (or bed a different stock), machined recoil lug, SSS trigger or other, make sure the tang and entire barrel is free floated.

Personally if I am setting up a rifle for accuracy, I do all the above first thing as it eliminates a lot of potential problems.
The .270 not being inherently accurate is rubbish in my opinion. I don't believe bases are the issue. They look good to me, possible though. My rifle has been suppressed (potential of crown not being right, though fitting was performed by reputable gun smith.) I think its Ammo, Rings or the stock to be honest. I can shoot clovers with an old Sako vixen in .243 (unsuppressed) so don't think my shootings to bad.

Timbob
04-16-2015, 08:40 PM
One step at a time.....

tammons
04-16-2015, 08:54 PM
Okay - Sounds like you have it figured out.

Timbob
04-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Okay - Sounds like you have it figured out.
Thanks for your thoughts mate. Will update once I've tried doing a few simple things.

sixonetonoffun
04-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Don't discount tammons advise. basically he outlined known accuracy issues.

Ammo tuning I like 270 seated just far enough off the lands to enable safe cycling. 139gr SST's over something close to 60gr 4831ssc works cloverleaf's for us. After doing the steps tammons suggests trying and a bit of trigger work.

tammons
04-17-2015, 11:40 AM
If you want a super flat shooter, try the 95 gr TTSX over a case full of RL17. I have a 21" 270 barrel and got 3680 FPS out of it.
Backed off to 3600 though.

At the time I was looking for a load that would shoot within 4" out to 300 yards. Out of a 26" bbl you could get around 3800+. The 85 gr TSX would fly even faster but I could not see the point. Destroys a lot of meat though. Shot a 100# hog with it quartering towards me and it disintegrated an entire rear ham/rear quarter on the opposite end. I mean it was no where to be found. Its a very loud round - LOL.

Timbob
04-17-2015, 03:53 PM
If you want a super flat shooter, try the 95 gr TTSX over a case full of RL17. I have a 21" 270 barrel and got 3680 FPS out of it.
Backed off to 3600 though.

At the time I was looking for a load that would shoot within 4" out to 300 yards. Out of a 26" bbl you could get around 3800+. The 85 gr TSX would fly even faster but I could not see the point. Destroys a lot of meat though. Shot a 100# hog with it quartering towards me and it disintegrated an entire rear ham/rear quarter on the opposite end. I mean it was no where to be found. Its a very loud round - LOL.
Wow hahah that's brutal... I've got some 2209 here I intend to load with.. Was thinking down the path of 130-140 SST or Accubond as I was given a dozen of each to play with.. The 116 has a 1 in 10 twist at 22 inches long. Mainly hunting red and fallow deer..

Timbob
08-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Thought I'd update this thread. Got the rifle shooting just under Moa now with 41.5 gr ar2209 behind a140g accubond.. I've heard folks getting good results with up to 43.5 grains. So next step is trying to speed up the round and remembering to take the chrony to the range!!!!

Timbob
08-08-2015, 05:41 AM
Was hoping for better accuracy out of the factory but maybe a higher node might squeeze the groups a wee bit more.