PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10T magazines

Pages : [1] 2

Dogfish
03-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Saw Cabela's ad for the Savage 10T last month and I just happened to be in the market for a .308 bolt rifle. $539 was pretty hard to beat, an then you add on the $50 off coupon, $200 in Cabela's bucks, and a $100 rebate for a rifle, so after all was said and done I got a 5R 24" rifle for less than $250. Had it out 4 times now and I am getting it dialed in. Vortex Viper 6-24x50 sits on top. A load of 4064 and some 168gr Sierra Match Kings seem to be the ticket so far, and I have my dope set out to 400yds.

Didn't like the 4 round mags so I started looking around and found out Sharp Shooter Supply made some but didn't see any on their website. Looked around and found some for $80-100 on auction sites. Spendy. Then I remembered that one of the other Savage rifles in the rack at Cabelas had an extended magazine. So I called Savage and spoke with the CS rep, gave them my serial number, and she gave me a product code for a 10 round DBM that would fit it. She asked if I would like one, and I ordered two.

They arrived the other day. Savage made and Savage crest on the bottom. $58 each, $131 for two including shipping.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q233/mesoas/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/7C885270-C25F-4A1F-A36B-B87F150467C8.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q233/mesoas/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/1627A853-C323-44C7-B319-5F9B2CC9CCFA.jpg
Feeds and functions well. The longer mag is easier to rock into place. Couldn't get it to sit low in the rear like the 4 round mags do when you insert them incorrectly, which is good. Plain Jane rifle, but it shoots well out to 400 so far. Next weekend I'll try out to 500.

Searched their website using the SKU on my receipt and it doesn't show. The SKU I have is 110570.

Bimmer
03-12-2015, 03:35 PM
My new 10 FCP-SR came with the same magazine, and it doesn't work well... Mine disengages itself at the rear when I fire, and then fails to feed the next round. I've actually bought a couple 4-round mags to use instead...

Dogfish
03-12-2015, 03:41 PM
I'll watch for that. Thanks. These seem to click into place solidly though. I'll update after the next shooting session.

RatMag
03-12-2015, 10:12 PM
If you magazine comes loose at the rear, just bend the tab out about 1/8". I don't mean bending the little tab at the top rear, I mean bending the entire rear tab out, down at the line of 3 small holes. This will place more rearward force on the magazine body, and will help prevent it from dropping out. Works like a charm.

DK

ScoutSnyper
03-12-2015, 10:35 PM
I may have to do the same thing.

Utah Shooter
03-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Nice. I bought one back in January and they will not give me the $100 rebate. Nice scope too.

RatMag
03-15-2015, 08:59 PM
You know, that new Savage mag looks pretty good. My concern would be the plastic lower body. I am not sure how it would hold up in a match or tactical situations. My design utilized the steel bodies from the G3 magazines, and Tom Snyder is building them now. Dark Eagle uses an aluminum body, which would still be more substantial than the plastic. So in the end, I am not exactly sure how well these would stand up to serious shooting. Time will tell...

DK

Bimmer
03-17-2015, 10:20 PM
My concern would be the plastic lower body... My design utilized the steel bodies from the G3 magazines, and Tom Snyder is building them now.

I don't worry about plastic mags since I started using PMAGs in my AR.

And no offense intended, but Snyder charges $80 for the conversion, or $110 for the complete magazine, and I don't see that as economical at all when AI-pattern mags are $30-$35.

(Given how inexpensive AR, Glock, and M14 magazines are, I'm absolutely floored by the prices of Savage magazines.)

RatMag
03-17-2015, 11:10 PM
I have yet to find a good polymer magazine in the AI pattern that will function correctly in my rifle. I wish I had found some, then I might have kept the setup before going with the XLR Element chassis. I was really hoping that MagPul would have came out with the 10 round version, but that one still hasn't surfaced yet. I have Alpha's now, so I am good to go. I am just looking out for everyone else. Also, I didn't realize the prices had gone up for the Snyder mags. And from what I remember, Dark Eagles were that price already.

DK

BigDave
03-17-2015, 11:31 PM
I have yet to find a good polymer magazine in the AI pattern that will function correctly in my rifle. I wish I had found some, then I might have kept the setup before going with the XLR Element chassis. I was really hoping that MagPul would have came out with the 10 round version, but that one still hasn't surfaced yet. I have Alpha's now, so I am good to go. I am just looking out for everyone else. Also, I didn't realize the prices had gone up for the Snyder mags. And from what I remember, Dark Eagles were that price already.

DK

I am thinking of trying MDT's Poly AICS mags. Here: http://mdttac.com/magazines.html

Only $39 and look really well made. I read they fixed the bulging issue when the 10th round was inserted/loaded.
I have an Accurate Mag bottom metal. Its not on the compatibly list(see it if you click on the link), but I bet it will fit.

Most people by now probably know about Ruger Scout metal mags for as low as $44. They are basically an Accurate Mag so I am told.

Ruger Scout Poly Mags will fit my bottom metal with a bit of sanding/grinding on the top to thin it out. Not ideal, but they do work. I would try the MDT first.

I did not know about the Alpha Mags. I checked them out. Sweet. I like them a lot. What is the difference between type 1 and type 2 in .308 caliber?

I bought the original 10 FCP-SR instead of the new double stack mag version. So many (not ALL of them, but a significant number) guys are having to buy Dark Eagle at $100 a pop or invest in new expensive AICS type bottom metals. I did not want to be chained to using Dark Eagle. WAY too much $$ and out of stock a lot.

Bimmer
03-18-2015, 12:48 AM
If you magazine comes loose at the rear, just bend the tab out about 1/8". I don't mean bending the little tab at the top rear, I mean bending the entire rear tab out, down at the line of 3 small holes. This will place more rearward force on the magazine body, and will help prevent it from dropping out. Works like a charm.

Brilliant. I owe you a beer, or maybe a pitcher.

I just did this, using my new-to-me 4-rnd mag as a model. Before, with just a weak tug, I could remove the 10-rnd mag, even if it was seated fully and clicked in. Now it stays put.

I'm shooting tomorrow, and this will (hopefully) be one less thing to worry about... I just found my muzzle brake is loose, which explains why my accuracy went to heck at the end of my first time out with this gun.

Bimmer
03-18-2015, 12:50 AM
I was really hoping that MagPul would have came out with the 10 round version, but that one still hasn't surfaced yet.

I'm sure it's coming, and I'm hopeful that they'll bring out a version of their bottom metal (bottom polymer?) for Savage...

RatMag
03-18-2015, 09:53 AM
I had looked into MDT magazines, but the COAL of my rounds are too long to use them. The 308 magazine will only hold rounds of 2.80", and the shortest that I can go with my 105's is 2.83". So I went looking for other options, and decided to go back with the Alpha's. The differences in the Type 1 and Type 2 magazines, is the front spacer. The Type 1 magazines has the spacer, and will hold rounds up to 2.92" COAL, and the Type 2 magazines will hold up to 2.98" COAL. So I can load my rounds in the magazine, and still have room to spare.

I still haven't seen any of the specifications of what the MagPul polymer magazine will hold as of yet. I basically stopped looking after getting my hands on the Alpha's. I honestly prefer the steel over the polymer anyway, due to how bad the Ruger polymer magazines turned out. I had to do some modifications to them to make them fit, but there were multiple feeding issues with them. I had to remove so much material to get them to fit to begin with, that they wouldn't hold more than 7 rounds without throwing them everywhere. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me, so I ordered another one just to make sure. I went really slow with the modifications on this one, but there were still issues.

With the Alpha magazines, there were NO modifications required, fit and finish are flawless, and I have not had a single issue with them, even during timed matches. I have shot with the Alpha's from improvised shooting positions, resting the rifle on the magazine even, and have yet to have any malfunctions due to stress being placed on the magazine body. At this point, I can't justify saving $12.00 per magazine, just to get the polymer. I am very happy with the Alpha's, and I won't be going back to the Savage factory setup either. I will be using the CDI bottom metal this time around, and will also have the new Manners Mini-Chassis in my MCS-T stock. I like the XLR chassis, but I really miss my Manners.

DK

RatMag
03-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Brilliant. I owe you a beer, or maybe a pitcher.

Deal!! LOL... You are most welcome.

I have to say, I do miss being able to top load and loading the magazine while still in the rifle. This is where Savage outshines all the AI type magazines on the market. Strangely enough, Accurate Mag, the people that make the Savage magazine body, don't incorporate this aspect into their AI type magazines. Maybe it can't be done, I don't know for sure.

DK

panhead_geoff
03-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Nice. I bought one back in January and they will not give me the $100 rebate. Nice scope too.

Hi Utah Shooter, try the rebate website or call the rebate center. I had the same problem with rejected numbers from the online rebate site in early February, called and the woman on the phone walked me through the same steps I had previously attempted and the rebate submission went through fine. I assume that early in the rebate it did not recognize the numbers as a legit rebate item and was eventually updated.

Dogfish
03-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Just got my rebate check today!

The plastic lower body of the mag is fairly robust, and similar polymer material to what Pmags are made of. I don't see it being any sort of issue as they are very solid.

RatMag
03-20-2015, 09:45 PM
That is good to hear. I am glad that Savage is deciding to follow along with what the shooters are wanting. It took quite a while, but I am glad it is happening.

Now if they can just explain WHY they got rid of the 10FCP-SR with the Desert Digital Accustock, I think that is about the best overall rifle they every made.

DK

Dogfish
03-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Tried both mags out yesterday. They worked flawlessly. Also got my dope set out to 600 yards! Nice to hear the bullet smack the steel plate out that far going 3 for 3 on my first attempt. Reasonable group of just under 6".

Bimmer
03-24-2015, 03:02 PM
I tried again... RatMag's fix kept my magazine from spontaneously releasing, but there's not enough spring pressure to lift the last cartridge into place... the bolt slides over it, and I wind up with an empty chamber.

So, I'm still not really happy with these.

greyghost
03-30-2015, 11:11 PM
I would be happy getting my hands on the 10FCP-SR I've had one on order for over 2 MO, Was told maybe in April we will see, From what all I have read they never should have stopped making the Digital it was a sound rifle, Then some over payed engineer got bored and came up with a better idea, And now we have to spend more money to fix it ourselves Im paying 675 + tax and will have to spend 200-300 to fix it. They sold the older model for about 850.00 at the last so still going to spend that much by the time its done. I would rather just spend the 850 to begin with. Some guy just found one NIB for 825.00 I think it was.