PDA

View Full Version : New here: just ordered an Axis 308 heavy barrel, have some questions...

Pages : [1] 2

North86
03-10-2015, 11:37 PM
I have been shooting my friends' bolt guns, and enjoying it so I ordered an Axis 308 heavy barrel. I figured I could work the trigger and figure out something for the stock, but i wanted the heavier barrel. The $50 rebate doesn't hurt either.

Anyway, there is almost no info out there on the heavy barrels. What gives? Is this some sort of insider thing? Do people like the heavy barrels? Does it hold poi better than the sporter profile? Do you like yours?

Anyway, I have a few weeks before I get my rifle, thanks to the laws of the glorious workers paradise of Kalifornia. So other than the trigger mod, what other mods do folks like? Am I looking at the boyd's stock because that's the best option? It goes without saying, I bought an Axis, so cost matters.

Anyway, thanks in advance and thanks for having me.

bootsmcguire
03-11-2015, 12:44 AM
Heavier barrels as a norm are more rigid and thus don't tend to "whip" as bad as thinner barrels, mostly noticed once the barrel heats up. Also heavier barrels take longer to heat up due to the extra metal and can offer longer shot strings before your groups open up.

As to stocks, Boyds is the only choice I am aware of for aftermarket support for the Axis.

North86
03-11-2015, 12:56 AM
Thanks Boots.

I understand the physics of it, but it seems that information or reviews of the heavy barrel seem to be limited.

Was hoping to hear from someone that has one and get their experience.

foxx
03-11-2015, 01:48 AM
There are 1,000's if not 100's of 1,000's of heavy barrels out there. They are preferred by most (nearly all) long range shooters for the reasons stated by Boots. I have several, they are all very accurate (1/2 inch or better at 100 yards, most are 1/3 inch or better).

Lighter contour (AKA sporter ) barrels are generally preferred for carry rifles and hunters who anticipate shooting no more than 2-3 shots at any given time.

Perhaps you are asking specifically about the so-called "Axis Heavy Barrels". I have never fired one myself, but the Axis models are simply an inexpensive alternative to 10/110's and are generally considered a very good value and accurate shooters. Those with heavy barrels are the same as all the othes, except the barrels are heavier.

Eager to hear your opinion of it once you get it and shot it. Bettin' you'll like it. :)

DrThunder88
03-11-2015, 05:19 AM
The Axis HB is also a fairly new model in an only slightly older product line, which itself is not the manufacturer's flagship marque. So the relative obscurity of the Axis HB is totally understandable from that perspective.

I suspect that another contributing factor to its lack of renown is the Axis' status as a low cost, entry level, utilitarian rifle. Savage's intent would seem to be providing the market with a backup hunting rifle, not an heirloom or precision piece of equipment. It will be good enough to get into the woods, get the job done, and get home again. It is likely common knowledge that a sporter barrel is sufficient to accomplish this and be both lighter and less expensive than a heavy barrel. I would therefore suspect—and I have no evidence to back up this conjecture—that most of the Axis' target market would opt for the sporter barrel, which would be why there is comparatively more material on them than the HB versions.

Finally, while I'm sure the 10/110 rifles will always be the most common platform for Savage customization fans, the Axis provides a new avenue for tinkerers. People like me who might want heavy barrels on their Axises but would prefer quality, aftermarket barrels to Savage's standard barrels would be unlikely to buy the more expensive HB version only to strip off the barrel. Whether the NTO barrel would sell for enough to make up for the difference in rifle prices is almost immaterial. Once the factory barrel is off, it can hardly be said that the rifle is an Axis HB. It seems unlikely or, at the very most, unhelpful that anyone would review a rifle they have not shot.

Still, the best thing to do is let us know what you think when you get it! It's always good to have new information added to the vast repository on this site.

North86
03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
I hope to shoot it in a few weeks and will report back.

I guess the the heavy barrel option strikes me as odd, since it doesn't fit with the common configuration. I am hoping its a diamond in the rough, so to speak.

foxx
03-11-2015, 12:51 PM
It just might be. :)

I am going to be getting one soon, also. When I do, I definitely plan to replace the trigger spring with a lighter one and swap out the barrel for a 450BM from Apache Gun Works. From what I hear, the stock spring is about 7 lbs. I can't deal with that, but if it can be brought down to 2.5lbs and has "decent" feel, it might be a decent der rifle for farm country deer hunting.

North86
03-22-2015, 11:40 AM
So the heavy barrel doesn't come with a scope base. The receiver is drilled and tapped, but no base. I am a little bummed about this, only because you need a base to be able to do anything with the rifle. I know that this is an entry level rifle, and I shouldn't expect too much. I also understand that this heavy barrel model is a somewhat new venture by Savage, and that they hope to position this in the tactical bolt action market for price sensitive people (like me). So I get why they don't include them.

Right now, I am throwing on a cheapo scope I have, and would like to get an equally cheap scope base. Assuming I progress with this project, I will likely move toward a 20 moa base, but I want to make sure I enjoy this before I spend a lot on glass and a base. Anyone have a source for an inexpensive Axis scope base? Two piece is fine. I checked the savage website, and it was useless.

TIA

foxx
03-22-2015, 12:30 PM
How cheap is cheap? The cheap ones that come on factory rifles are so bad they should be removed before bringing home. :) i would bot reccomend anything like them. Maybe Leupold rifleman bases are the cheapest i'd go.EGW makes good one piece for about $35. If you look at old cheap bases that are taken from older used models you will see what I mean. They are more likely than not going to be deformed and the slots enlarged from recoil, etc.

Hotolds442
03-22-2015, 01:27 PM
If you want to do bases on the cheap, the 2 piece Weaver bases will do you just fine until you decide to upgrade.

North86
03-22-2015, 10:34 PM
That would be great except, I am not sure what part numbers I need. Amazon isn't helpful either, as they list several weaver bases for the axis with oddly different pictures. Any help is appreciated.

foxx
03-22-2015, 10:59 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-48502-Alum-Base-for-Savage-Axis-Top-Mount-Base-Matte-Black-/400885227022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d569f1e0e

here's a better price: http://swfa.com/Weaver-46-Top-Mount-Base-P10282.aspx

Gohring3006
03-22-2015, 11:07 PM
That would be great except, I am not sure what part numbers I need. Amazon isn't helpful either, as they list several weaver bases for the axis with oddly different pictures. Any help is appreciated.Savage model 10 bases are the same as the Axis. I picked a weaver set for about 12 bucks. I have a heavy barrel in 22-250 and love it. It put several charge weights of 4064 sub moa with a few groups all most in one hole. Alot can be said about a rifle when you do a load work up with 8 different charge weights and they all are under a inch @ 100yards..

North86
03-22-2015, 11:34 PM
Savage model 10 bases are the same as the Axis. I picked a weaver set for about 12 bucks. I have a heavy barrel in 22-250 and love it. It put several charge weights of 4064 sub moa with a few groups all most in one hole. Alot can be said about a rifle when you do a load work up with 8 different charge weights and they all are under a inch @ 100yards..

Do you remember which base you bought and from where? A link would be most helpful.

TIA

foxx
03-23-2015, 12:04 AM
here's a better price: http://swfa.com/Weaver-46-Top-Mount-Base-P10282.aspx

foxx
03-23-2015, 12:05 AM
Or you could try this one: : http://swfa.com/Weaver-46-Top-Mount-Base-P10282.aspx

foxx
03-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Oh, look, another one.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-46-Top-Mount-Base-P10282.aspx

:)

North86
03-23-2015, 12:09 AM
So Foxx, do I need two of those? Or just one? Is it a kit that includes two?

Gohring3006
03-23-2015, 06:51 AM
Do you remember which base you bought and from where? A link would be most helpful.

TIA

I bought mine from Dunham sports. I don't remember the model number but it says right on the packaging what they fit. I have seen them at WalMart and MC sports. Also I would bet Midway would have them.
Keep in mind that this s for the TWO piece bases the savage 10 one piece won't fit the Axis. Also my brother picked up two Axis's a 30-06 and .270 and ran out of elevation with both. He couldn't get the scope low enough and still be able to operate the bolt. So he ended up just getting two 20 moa rails from EGW..

foxx
03-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Better get two, just in case.