PDA

View Full Version : New here: just ordered an Axis 308 heavy barrel, have some questions...

Pages : 1 [2]

North86
03-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Better get two, just in case.

Admittedly, I am new here and don't know you. I am also new to long distance shooting, but I have been reading about it and my friend enjoy it, so I am giving it a shot.

Your response to my questions comes off as sarcastic. Recommending the same product in three different posts, and then saying "better get two, just in case" isn't helpful. I apologize if that wasn't your intent, but I am admittedly new here, need advice and your posts aren't helpful.

foxx
03-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Admittedly, I am new here and don't know you. I am also new to long distance shooting, but I have been reading about it and my friend enjoy it, so I am giving it a shot.

Your response to my questions comes off as sarcastic. Recommending the same product in three different posts, and then saying "better get two, just in case" isn't helpful. I apologize if that wasn't your intent, but I am admittedly new here, need advice and your posts aren't helpful.

My sincerest apologies.

I was being a sarcastic jerk. I meant no harm and it was just the result of my having a bad time with some personal things. I truly apologize. It is not normally like me to be that way. I don't know why I picked now to be that way. Please forgive me.

Thinking back, the reason I thought (wrongfully so) it was funny to be a bit sarcastic was I had already posted links for the part you were looking for. These parts are avail for a few dollars. Yes, you would need two of them. One for the front ring, one for the rear rings.

I am not recommending them for the reasons stated previously, but, as Hotolds442suggested, hey will work for a while if you choose to go that route. On the other hand, the are not a good long term solution.

Again, I apologize for my attitude. I meat no disrespect, merely a "poke in the ribs". Of course, this is a public forum and we don't know each other well enough to even try such a thing. Also, please do not let my attitude affect your view towards this forum. It is a good, helpful bunch of guys and they/we truly want you to be a part o the community.

My apologies to all.

North86
03-23-2015, 03:55 PM
My sincerest apologies.

I was being a sarcastic jerk. I meant no harm and it was just the result of my having a bad time with some personal things. I truly apologize. It is not normally like me to be that way. I don't know why I picked now to be that way. Please forgive me.

Thinking back, the reason I thought (wrongfully so) it was funny to be a bit sarcastic was I had already posted links for the part you were looking for. These parts are avail for a few dollars. Yes, you would need two of them. One for the front ring, one for the rear rings.

I am not recommending them for the reasons stated previously, but, as Hotolds442suggested, hey will work for a while if you choose to go that route. On the other hand, the are not a good long term solution.

Again, I apologize for my attitude. I meat no disrespect, merely a "poke in the ribs". Of course, this is a public forum and we don't know each other well enough to even try such a thing. Also, please do not let my attitude affect your view towards this forum. It is a good, helpful bunch of guys and they/we truly want you to be a part o the community.

My apologies to all.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

M.RAYVAN
03-25-2015, 11:33 PM
I just bought one 2 months ago I found advertized as a 1-9 twist. Well I called Savage and they told me the in 1-12 twist and no other so some false advertizement is out there but i am very happy with it . I was hoping to shoot some heavier loads but this rifle is very accurate at 100 yards sub moa less that a inch with 55gr Hornady v-max VERY IMPRESSED Nikon 4.5-18x40 ProStaff 5 Riflescope well worth the money , timley trigger is needed. For a base try this http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-multi-slot-savage-axis-rifle-scope-base-system.html Hope you enjoy it

pickerandsinger
03-27-2015, 06:05 AM
I recently put a set of Leupold Medium and a Redfield Revolution so I have a set of "stock Axis 270 rings and bases " … I had no problems with them just changed out the Bushnell it came with..( which I put on a 22 )….You are welcome to them if you desire…New here myself so I don't know just how to do this but my email is pickerandsinger@aol.com…Send me an address and I'll ship them off to you if you like…No charge

gumbo333
03-27-2015, 11:30 AM
For Axis rifles Ive had very good luck with Burris 2 piece weaver style steel bases for round Savage 10 - 16, 110 - 116 & Axis, Midway #665735 now $23. works with Leupold VX 1 & VX 2 & VariX lll 3 - 9 & 6 - 18 & 6.5 - 20, all 40mm scopes. I like the steel bases for heavier recoil rifles. With an older Nikon Monarch 6 - 20 x 40 I had to use a 1 piece base to get it back far enough, a shorter scope. For that I used the Weaver 1 piece. I like the older Weaver steel rings that no one likes anymore.

North86
03-28-2015, 12:32 AM
So I finally got her home!!

A few things. First, the barrel is 0.75" at the end, which is certainly thicker than the stock sporter barrel. It's about 1.00" at the receiver. See Pic.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=401343&d=1427516824

Second, the stock is different from a regular savage stock. It may be an accustock from the newer axis II line. The fore end (shown) has different support and is very rigid compared to what I have read about the tupperware stocks on the sporter Axis models. Anyone have an Axis II to compare?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=401344&d=1427516836

EDIT: I did some looking, and it seems that the Accustock has an aluminum spine, and bedding. This clearly doesn't have that. Hmm... Guess I need to hit the range :)

foxx
03-28-2015, 12:50 AM
It's the regular Axis stock. The only difference is the barrel channel is opened up for the heavier contoured barrel. Should be fine for deer sized targets inside of 300 yards. Mine has an Apache barrel in 450 BM and is getting 1.75" 3 shot groups at 250 yards with handloads.

Gohring3006
03-28-2015, 08:17 AM
My Axis 22-250 HB has a X pattern support ridges on the forearm and my brothers sporter barrel has a cross pattern parallel to the recoil lug..

foxx
03-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Hmm.. interesting. Might prove to be better, but they are still cheap plastic and too flimsy in the forearm and grip area for my likes. Doesn't mean I will change it out anytime soon. It serves me well enough for my purposes, for sure.

Gohring3006
03-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Yea still pretty flimsy, but its much better than the sporter stock. I can twist it and make contact with the barrel, but it takes some force. I dont know why they wouldn't use this on the sporter. Its a big improvement.