PDA

View Full Version : B&C Medalist for Model 10 with bottom bolt release & factory DBM

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Rooster 50
03-28-2015, 11:56 PM
I have a Hog Hunter in 308. Can it be modified to use in this stock.

Russmerle
03-31-2015, 03:38 PM
I ordered mine from RedHawk on Thursday and should get here on Friday... Thanks for the pics Boilerup! I can't wait to get mine. I'll post pics here since it will be green with black webbing.

devildogandboy
04-01-2015, 10:12 PM
thanks for the pics, i couldn't hold off on these so i purchased one in green for my bottom bolt release. it shipped the same day i ordered it and should be here this wednesday. now for the wait!!!!

Bruce

just as they said, it would be here wednesday and it arrived today. i get the barreled action mounted up tomorrow and try to get it out in the next day or so. looks nice!

Bruce

mikgarus
04-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Let us know how it goes. I suspect there's a bunch of people waiting to see how these work.

BoilerUP
04-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Put another 50 through the 11 Trophy Predator Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with #1012 Medalist yesterday...in four 5-shot 100yd groups, average group size was a tick under 0.7" with the best group coming in at a hair over 0.4" using the generic 140gr Creedmoor "box" recipe (41.5gr H4350, 140gr HPBT, 2.81" COAL). Without a flier increasing one group to just under 1", the average size would have been right at 0.6".

The rifle has also shot factory 140gr Amax loads (lot 314xxxx) very well, consistently producing similar results.

Compared with the factory tupperware, the M40 Medalist has a higher cheekweld and is more stable off a bipod. The grip is also slightly more vertical than the factory stock, which I prefer. While I'm not sure the stock changed the mechanical accuracy of the system, with those ergonomic changes the stock provides I am more comfortable behind the rifle, which has improved MY results. That said, the cheekweld is still a *bit* lower than I'd prefer using a 20MOA base with Vortex HST 4-16x and Burris XTR 30mm low rings, but with a Triad stock pack it is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right.

I currently own a McMillan A5 and a Manners T2, and while both are GREAT stocks I think the M40 Medalist provides exceptional value.

choclabs
04-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Put another 50 through the 11 Trophy Predator Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with #1012 Medalist yesterday...in four 5-shot 100yd groups, average group size was a tick under 0.7" with the best group coming in at a hair over 0.4" using the generic 140gr Creedmoor "box" recipe (41.5gr H4350, 140gr HPBT, 2.81" COAL). Without a flier increasing one group to just under 1", the average size would have been right at 0.6".

The rifle has also shot factory 140gr Amax loads (lot 314xxxx) very well, consistently producing similar results.

Compared with the factory tupperware, the M40 Medalist has a higher cheekweld and is more stable off a bipod. The grip is also slightly more vertical than the factory stock, which I prefer. While I'm not sure the stock changed the mechanical accuracy of the system, with those ergonomic changes the stock provides I am more comfortable behind the rifle, which has improved MY results. That said, the cheekweld is still a *bit* lower than I'd prefer using a 20MOA base with Vortex HST 4-16x and Burris XTR 30mm low rings, but with a Triad stock pack it is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right.

I currently own a McMillan A5 and a Manners T2, and while both are GREAT stocks I think the M40 Medalist provides exceptional value.

BoilerUP - Thanks for sharing your range report results with us. Obviously you are producing groups that are very respectable for the change to B&C without bedding the action. The better fit is also good to hear about. Here we go with my OPINION after reading your results report - Potential accuracy gains to be returned as a result of bedding your action may be insignificant. Why do I say that? Because after more rounds down range it is highly likely that you have a .5" MOA rifle as your current report tends to indicate. Making that a .25" MOA rifle after a bedding job does not seem to be a realistic result to anticipate. But I do believe you will become more consistent in the .5" MOA or lower range of results.

I share my OPINION regarding bedding with all who are interested in moving to this stock, fully expecting you and others to state agreement or disagreement regarding the return on effort resulting in performing a bedding job.

I would be willing to pay an extra $100 if B&C created a V block design with their aluminum insert similar to the Manners Mini chassis option. I'm holding out to see if Magpul produces their new chassis stock for the Savage owners as it would be a very affordable means of getting V block technology support which would provide a switchable action + barrel combination with small or no re-zero of your scope. It will also be of interest to see if any early customers of this B&C stock choose to have their action bedded and any accuracy improvements are realized.

BoilerUP
04-08-2015, 07:01 AM
I *might* see a small but measurable accuracy gain from skim bedding my stock...but I must weigh the potential upside in fractional accuracy improvement with the cost (financial and time) and for me, I don't see the value in doing so at this time. If I experience inconsistency and/or fliers, my perspective might change.

Chad Dixon @ LongRifles Inc has come up with a process to machine "surface" the bedding block of stocks so equipped after CAD mapping each individual action, so that it is completely stress-free and multiple removals/reinstalls of the barreled action results in no shift in zero. It is more expensive than bedding, but probably closer to what you desire (I think the service is $150-200).

choclabs
04-09-2015, 12:37 PM
I have received a reply from LongRifles, Inc of Sturgis SD stating that at this time they are not taking Savage rifles to perform this "Surfaced Chassis Block Machining" work on.

choclabs
04-09-2015, 12:51 PM
I *might* see a small but measurable accuracy gain from skim bedding my stock...but I must weigh the potential upside in fractional accuracy improvement with the cost (financial and time) and for me, I don't see the value in doing so at this time. If I experience inconsistency and/or fliers, my perspective might change.

Chad Dixon @ LongRifles Inc has come up with a process to machine "surface" the bedding block of stocks so equipped after CAD mapping each individual action, so that it is completely stress-free and multiple removals/reinstalls of the barreled action results in no shift in zero. It is more expensive than bedding, but probably closer to what you desire (I think the service is $150-200).

BoilerUP - Have you found any clearance issues with the tang area? Did you have to do any customizing in that area to improve the free float characteristics for the tang portion of the action? And what are the torque settings that you are using?

Over the past few days i have looked at the LongRifles, Inc. bedding area surface details from some of the SH links that you have shared with me and on their website too. But I have also just now looked at the Gunner75 details from the B&C factory. I honestly cannot tell any difference in how B&C has prepared this aluminum bedding block versus LRI. I doubt that B&C could achieve any additional matting surface are between the action and their aluminum block if they tried. You are among the earliest of adopters of this new B&C product and are in a better position to compare what you have to the Gunner75 factory shots and the very detailed closeup pictures of his work. What I do know is that it is working for you and hopefully several others will also post some of their early range reports too.

BoilerUP
04-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Torque is "hand tight", and while the tang isn't free floated I don't plan to do so unless the rifle throws fliers or shows other signs of imprecision via groups.

Basspond
04-10-2015, 08:44 PM
After reading this thread I couldn't resist...

Got mine in today from Red Hawk Rifles. Had to order the DBM, metal bottom plate for the mag and a metal trigger guard from Savage.

Installation was pretty painless. Interested to see how it shoots at the range this weekend.

Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter in .223

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/Basspond/EF637319-5DDD-48C4-B861-1CD2461754DE.jpg

choclabs
04-11-2015, 12:23 AM
Thanks for this post. Is that a factory bolt knob? I'm liking the tan and black color look. If you would please consider posting your range report on my other thread "New B&C Savage M40 Style Riflestock request for range reports". I hope it shoots as good or better than the AccuStock it is replacing. And hoping it prints smaller groups too!

Gunner75
04-11-2015, 12:39 AM
I'm all ears fellas. Ask away. Please keep in mind we built this rifle stock to accommodate the mass selection of Savage rifles produced. There are many accuracy improvements over what we offer. Tang float, bedding, etc. This stock was created from customer demand.

We are about to release the #1017 Sporter LA DM rifle stock as well. Once again, answered buy request of many here. Keep em coming, we are doing what we can.

***The factory DM unit fit is pretty snug. Good reason for this. Variation. The majority of units we have bolted up to our stocks have been snug but fit. A few have been a bit off and they require some light contouring of the radius corners at the rear of the magbox and rear trigger guard inlet. .030" is about max on clearance.

Gunner75
04-11-2015, 12:43 AM
I'm gonna leave me personal email address here. I've missed some messages. wade_dunn@sbcglobal.net

choclabs
04-11-2015, 12:50 AM
Gunner75 - Thanks for jumping in on this thread, esp. the pre-retail pictures of the bedding block. It seems that B&C has maximized the surface contact between the action and the aluminum bedding block. At least your close up pictures seem to indicate this. If you get another chance for a close up to post, would you please show some of the detail in where the recoil lug interfaces with the bedding block. It is not uncommon for Savage owners to change out the factory recoil lug when switching out from the factory stock to an OEM version. I am also hoping that B&C is looking into machining the bedding block as part of your light weight stock offerings. The current stocks are creating near to and over 10lb rifles with heavy sporter contour barrels. I know my wife hunts and carries her own gear around and does prefer a lighter rifle that I do.

Basspond
04-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks for this post. Is that a factory bolt knob? I'm liking the tan and black color look. If you would please consider posting your range report on my other thread "New B&C Savage M40 Style Riflestock request for range reports". I hope it shoots as good or better than the AccuStock it is replacing. And hoping it prints smaller groups too!

Just got back from the range and was very happy with how it shot. Will post on the other thread.

That is an aftermarket tactical handle from Tactical Works that I just installed at the same time of the B&C stock. Really liking that also.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/Basspond/IMG_3778.jpg

mikgarus
04-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Stupid question, but no problems removing bolt with high cheek?

BoilerUP
04-13-2015, 12:19 PM
Stupid question, but no problems removing bolt with high cheek?

None...its not that high.

natesatt
04-16-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm all ears fellas. Ask away. Please keep in mind we built this rifle stock to accommodate the mass selection of Savage rifles produced. There are many accuracy improvements over what we offer. Tang float, bedding, etc. This stock was created from customer demand.

We are about to release the #1017 Sporter LA DM rifle stock as well. Once again, answered buy request of many here. Keep em coming, we are doing what we can.

***The factory DM unit fit is pretty snug. Good reason for this. Variation. The majority of units we have bolted up to our stocks have been snug but fit. A few have been a bit off and they require some light contouring of the radius corners at the rear of the magbox and rear trigger guard inlet. .030" is about max on clearance.

Any chance of a blind mag, top release version coming out?

Thanks!

shawnb
05-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Left hand long action bottom release in the future at all? I would order one tonight if so.