PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x47 or the 6.5 creedmoor ?

Pages : [1] 2

noname
02-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Ok,heres my deal..Found out I will be needing cancer treatments,etc..But still
plan on shooting up to 300 yard matchs if able..Have a 223 and a 22-250...
I dream of a 6.5x47 and gets lots of info on the 6.5 creedmoor..Be putting it on
a stevens 200 action..Tight budget doesn't help much..So I need some honest
suggestions and no bull ****...This may very well be my last rifle...Which route
should I go down as far as cost for componets,and barrel..Which brings me to
another question..What barrel length and diameter should I look at..Like heavy
varmint or bull barre...I know I will need the dies,etc..So whats your honest
opinions on this..Thanks..:confused::o

Cat 64
02-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I do not know you but I felt a deep urge to stop and pray for you and your health. God can heal and restore you not matter what our earthly doctors verdict is. I pray both your physical health and spiritual health will be great in the weeks and years to come.
As far as your request goes, I had a 6.5X47 Lapua for 6 months now and I can tell you it shoots great. I use 130 Berger VLD's with Reloader 15 and I have very good success all the way to 1000 yards. I have a Savage Target action RBLP and a Criterion bull barrel 28" long with a F-Class stock. It takes a bit of tuning but is not very demanding. Once you find the right combo for your rifle you will be very satisfied. I hear great words about Creedmoor as well. They are very much compatible. You can't go wrong either way. The other caliber in this conversation is the 260 Remington. Cost wise, they are somewhat similar as well. Powder, bullets, primers, cases (Lapua makes an awesome case), dies (and all the other paraphernalia associated with reloading)...they all have a cost no matter what direction you go. The 6.5's are not the most expensive out there. Weight wise I guess it all depends on what is your intended goal. For target shooting you can go with heavier barrels since you are not going to carry the rifle around the woods.
Here is a great article I read which helped me tremendously when I made my determination: http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/
Also AccurateShooter forum has great resources. Hope this helps a little.

noname
02-06-2015, 06:51 PM
I do not know you but I felt a deep urge to stop and pray for you and your health. God can heal and restore you not matter what our earthly doctors verdict is. I pray both your physical health and spiritual health will be great in the weeks and years to come.
As far as your request goes, I had a 6.5X47 Lapua for 6 months now and I can tell you it shoots great. I use 130 Berger VLD's with Reloader 15 and I have very good success all the way to 1000 yards. I have a Savage Target action RBLP and a Criterion bull barrel 28" long with a F-Class stock. It takes a bit of tuning but is not very demanding. Once you find the right combo for your rifle you will be very satisfied. I hear great words about Creedmoor as well. They are very much compatible. You can't go wrong either way. The other caliber in this conversation is the 260 Remington. Cost wise, they are somewhat similar as well. Powder, bullets, primers, cases (Lapua makes an awesome case), dies (and all the other paraphernalia associated with reloading)...they all have a cost no matter what direction you go. The 6.5's are not the most expensive out there. Weight wise I guess it all depends on what is your intended goal. For target shooting you can go with heavier barrels since you are not going to carry the rifle around the woods.
Here is a great article I read which helped me tremendously when I made my determination: http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/
Also AccurateShooter forum has great resources. Hope this helps a little.

thanks for the web site..I found it to be very informative to say the least..One thing I did notice unless I over looked it,was there was no mention
as to what twist any of the rifles used...My end conclusion is,I think maybe the 6.5 creed,is his choice..But then again,maybe I am reading more into
it as sometimes I am guilty of doing..The end results is I have more to go on and think about now..I still would like to know the twist in those barrels.
My next thing is to search for a good quality rest...Although I have done 90 % of my shooting with a bipod..Again,I say thank you for the information..

YDKDY
02-06-2015, 07:35 PM
First off best wishes on getting healthy. Creedmore is a good choice if you don't reload since there is good factory target ammo available from Hornady. If you reload, brass and dies for the 6.5X47 aren't cheap but good Lapua brass is available vs only Hornady brass for the Creedmore. Like Cat said, bullets, powder etc is about the same though a little less powder for the 6.5X47 for a given load. I think barrels, tools stocks etc is equal for all chamberings unless you get lucky and maybe pick up a takeoff creedmore from the classifieds here. Doubt you'd find a bargain 6.5X47 barrel. Figure $200-300 plus shipping for a prefit barrel, 100-250 for a stock, 50 for a new lug and nut (optional). Again if you shop for takeoffs or gently used you could save a bit. Good luck and keep posting!

noname
02-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Oppointment tomorrow morning to see doc and see whats up....Be getting operated on no doubt....
But my dream rifle is still waiting for me to get things together...I will up date later..

Cat 64
02-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Oppointment tomorrow morning to see doc and see whats up....Be getting operated on no doubt....
But my dream rifle is still waiting for me to get things together...I will up date later..

Please se let us know after tomorow. Many blessings and peace to you.

Newsshooter
02-09-2015, 06:18 PM
I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor so I'm biased. :p. If you reload I'd say it's a toss up. Lapua brass is good but I've got five firings on some of my brass and have only discarded a few pieces for loose primer pockets. If you don't reload the Creedmoor wins by a large margin IMO. Match quality ammo for less than $25/box. At least I've never paid more than that for 140Amax loads. Winchester is now making ammo Tojo, recently picked some up for than 18/box. Good luck with the surgery.

homefrontsniper
02-09-2015, 06:44 PM
26" or 28" .... 1in 8 twist 6.5 Creedmoor

noname
02-09-2015, 08:00 PM
I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor so I'm biased. :p. If you reload I'd say it's a toss up. Lapua brass is good but I've got five firings on some of my brass and have only discarded a few pieces for loose primer pockets. If you don't reload the Creedmoor wins by a large margin IMO. Match quality ammo for less than $25/box. At least I've never paid more than that for 140Amax loads. Winchester is now making ammo Tojo, recently picked some up for than 18/box. Good luck with the surgery.

been reloading 40 plus years or **** close to it..lol

noname
02-09-2015, 08:04 PM
gonna start collecting what I need for the creedmoor build...gonna need dies,brass,bullets,barrel etc....anyone have anythingsfor sale please let me know......anxious to see the doctor tomorrow morning and get it in action.....

Newsshooter
02-09-2015, 08:14 PM
I found the 139 scenars to be more consistent size wise, I'd get a new box of amax and have to adjust my dies, hasn't happened with the Scenars. They also seem to shoot better for me past 600.

darkker
02-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Did a lot of honest pressure testing work with a Pressure Trace, in December; so here is my view for you.

If ANYONE tells you that primers/brass are ANY kind of indicator of pressure IGNORE that person. If you don't have pressure testing equipment, then use an accurate chronograph. While there is bound to be an exception, NO, factory barrels are NOT faster than tightly controlled test barrels, etc. So if you are running faster than published velocities, you are running high pressure. IF that doesn't bother you, fine, but know the truth. NO one here knows what alloy their brass is made with, nor what it was hardened to. Back when Olin(winchester) still had a brass case business, there was a common alloy, that was hardened to around 83,000psi tensile strength. So by the time you could mic the growth, then you had a general idea of the pressure you ran! On the other side, we tested a bunch of 308 ammo. Those loads developed 75,000 psi with some NASTY secondary pressure spikes(powder was running away). Those loads had ZERO extraction issues, ZERO abnormal recoil/sound, ZERO primer "indicators" of pressure issues.

The x47 will NOT out-run the Creed. The Creed will NOT push a 140gr bullet to 2900 fps WITHIN SAAMI pressures. Does that matter? Honestly, not to nearly as many people as think it does; here is why.
There are powders that burn incredibly progressively in certain applications, such as Superformance in the Creed. That flat topped pressure curve will give "more" velocity at lower pressure/shorter barrels than say, H4350. That said, pushing to max pressure gains you very little in the way of velocity. As per the testing with the Pressure Trace, 10,000 psi extra pressure with any tested powder(RE-17, H4350, 760, Super) will net approx 75 fps gain.

So what is my point?
If you want to over-pressure something, then it is totally irrelevant what you buy. ANYTHING over-pressure is capable of "better" performance, but unless you run equally high pressure you can't say one is better than another.
IF you want to run SAAMI spec, AND have to have maximum performance; a slight edge will go to the Creedmoor.
So it really comes down to what you find easier/cheaper to feed.
Personally I went with the Creedmoor. I have a proverbial shyte-load of 308 & 243 brass, so a Quick FL sizing and trim job got me into brass. For an odd reason, the 243 required neck turning(I used an appropriately sized drill bit), the 308 brass gave me no issues whatsoever.

Cheers

D.ID
02-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Best of luck in the fight ahead.
As to the gun "Feed the creed".
Versatility and options are good and eventually even lapua will have no choice but to make brass for it and options will be even better.

basshawg42
02-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Creed all the way. My prayers are with you and your family.

noname
02-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Be getting the dreaded surgery March 2nd.....And then move on to whatever else...:tea:Plan
on doing some shootin this summer..Good Lord willing..
What bullet do you think I should be looking for as well as a decent set of dies...:deadhorse:

darkker
02-12-2015, 02:30 AM
I use Lee equipment. I have Lee & Hornady dies, no difference to me. So Ford/Dodge on the equipment.

Bullets are a bit like religion, some people have there's, then some of us heathens shoot everything. I have great results with Nosler CC's, SMK's, and Hornady. I have wretched results with Berger, I'm sure they can be made to shoot, but in not a high maintenance bullet guy. I know MZ5 also likes Lapuas.

Cat 64
02-12-2015, 10:16 AM
I use Lee equipment. I have Lee & Hornady dies, no difference to me. So Ford/Dodge on the equipment.

Bullets are a bit like religion, some people have there's, then some of us heathens shoot everything. I have great results with Nosler CC's, SMK's, and Hornady. I have wretched results with Berger, I'm sure they can be made to shoot, but in not a high maintenance bullet guy. I know MZ5 also likes Lapuas.

A bit off topic here...I was reading a post yesterday on a different forum I think about people trying to find/recommend various ideas as to how to "shine" the Nosler bullets. Same as you, I shoot the Nosler CC's with much success but it is true they look a bit "dirty" if you wish. Some may not be bothered (what the hack they all go "away" towards the target...) but some may be more anal about the "looks" of their ammunition. Did you ever do anything about this? Just curious.

To the OP...we are all having the best wishes for your surgery and recovery. Some of us pray for you and your situation. Let us know how the surgery goes.

noname
02-12-2015, 10:42 AM

Pleased to meet another HEATHEN..LOL my same feelings about the Bergers...Have had better results with other bullets...Specilly in 223 cal.

D.ID
02-12-2015, 08:54 PM
I've had a totally different experience with bergers and consider them the best for accuracy and second easiest to dial in.
For serious accuracy purposes I've never had great luck with nosler, not totally terrible but not even comparable with berger, sierra and hornady, but.... That was before they came out with there competition bullets that I have not even bothered to try out yet.

Newsshooter
02-12-2015, 09:10 PM
The 140 Amax worked great for me from 100-600 yards, now I'm using the 139 lapua Scenar as it is more consistent from 600 to 1000 yards. A lot of guys are using Bergers and SMK's too.