PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x47 or the 6.5 creedmoor ?

Pages : 1 [2]

darkker
02-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Did you ever do anything about this? Just curious.

Not sure what post you are speaking to, but I could care less how pretty the bullets are or aren't. So, I guess I haven't done anything about it.

noname
02-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Not sure what post you are speaking to, but I could care less how pretty the bullets are or aren't. So, I guess I haven't done anything about it. yeah

yeah,shiny don't make them shoot any better......Like a new paint job anit gonna make my lawn tractor run and better...:cheer2:

gotcha
02-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Just noticed your thread. Same health problem here. Mine is in-operable so must rely on Chemo & radiation for cure. My chance is 50/50 for cancer free. Keep your chin up!! Always important to have a goal to look forward to....... I've got a 6.5X47L on a 200 action w/ CBI bbl. Wouldn't hesitate to opt for the CM. For best accuracy I dumped the stock Savage trigger in favor of the SSS competition trigger. BIG improvement!! Don't overlook the Lapua scenars. Yes, they're pricey but, man do they shoot! I put a high polish on every mating surface of my bolt and added a longer bolt handle and Single shot follower. The more I shoot mine the smoooother it gets. Primary extraction is now just a "snick". You may have to do some de-burring inside the receiver to prevent scratching on body & shoulder of cases....... Cutting a coil off the ejector spring will also help and you'll not be ejecting the case into the next county :) ( you can also use a .223 ejector spring) I'd be happy to share other work I did on my build. I'm not opinionated just offering a view you might want to consider. Good luck with your operation!!!!!!!

Rocket223
02-16-2015, 09:51 PM
6.5 CM all the way. I built a 6.5 creedmoor on a budget. ER Shaw barrel from Gun Shack 200. bucks, 110 action from a savage that I bought a Walmart just sitting in the safe, Rifle Basics trigger and a Boyds thumb hole stock. Brass I bought at the local store (they didn't have the other choice 6.5x47) and 123 Amax bullets. The gun is a shooter, 6.5 CM is easy on the shooter and very accurate. My wife took it over and shoots F/open at 600/1000 yrds with it and doesn't know the difference, it's a 6. something to her, when she starts to score abv 550 in a 3 relay match I will actually try and develop a load for it. I picked the load right out of the book, std oal with 203B, I have no problem hitting the 10 ring. It does have a disadvantage in F/open against the 6BR and Dashers.

GaCop
02-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Ok,heres my deal..Found out I will be needing cancer treatments,etc..But still
plan on shooting up to 300 yard matchs if able..Have a 223 and a 22-250...
I dream of a 6.5x47 and gets lots of info on the 6.5 creedmoor..Be putting it on
a stevens 200 action..Tight budget doesn't help much..So I need some honest
suggestions and no bull ****...This may very well be my last rifle...Which route
should I go down as far as cost for componets,and barrel..Which brings me to
another question..What barrel length and diameter should I look at..Like heavy
varmint or bull barre...I know I will need the dies,etc..So whats your honest
opinions on this. Thanks: confused::o I feel your pain, I was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer last March. I don't let it get me down...........yet. I still jog 4 miles and shoot three or four times a week. I'm lucky in that I don't require chemo yet and my blood work has been stable for almost a year now. Personally, I'd go with the Creedmoor.

I had a 6.5X47 Lapua and in the long run was not impressed with it so sold the barrel. A light varmint weight barrel, 24 inches, should serve you well out to 300 yards. Shaw barrels are economical, shoot well and I don't believe they have a long wait time after your order. For a decent stock, take a look at the Choate Tactical. It has an aluminum bedding block. I used a Choate stock for my 308 build, did not epoxy bed it and the rifle shoots lights out at 500 yards.

GaCop
02-27-2015, 01:42 PM
26" or 28" .... 1in 8 twist 6.5 Creedmoor +1!

CriterionBarrels
02-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Be getting the dreaded surgery March 2nd.....And then move on to whatever else...:tea:Plan
on doing some shootin this summer..Good Lord willing..
What bullet do you think I should be looking for as well as a decent set of dies...:deadhorse:

We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers during your upcoming surgery. I shoot 6.5x284 myself, so I don't have much firsthand experience loading for either cartridge, outside of some 6.5 Creedmoor AR testing we did last fall (the results were pretty impressive!). We do move more barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor than 6.5x47, but both are among the most popular 6.5 cartridges that we supply for Savage builds.

GaCop
03-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Be getting the dreaded surgery March 2nd.....And then move on to whatever else...:tea:Plan
on doing some shootin this summer..Good Lord willing..
What bullet do you think I should be looking for as well as a decent set of dies...:dead horse: You can't go wrong using Redding or Forster dies