PDA

View Full Version : Strange rquest from Ebay buyer

Pages : [1] 2

foxx
01-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Guys, I just sold a .223 barrel on e-bay for a pretty good "buy it now" price. It was a very quick sale (I think it sold almost as soon as it was available in the search engine). No big deal. Then, I get what I think is a strange request from the buyer:

Hi
Please when you ship it don't put anything with it.
* No paper work (no bill ,no busniess card ,
no packing list)
I prefer to put it in plastic pipe and glue both ends

thanks

Also, the name I am sending it to is Middle Eastern. Not that that means anything. Of course it doesn't. But don't you think that's a weird request? As a financial planner, I am required to report any strange requests I get for financial transactions. This one would certainly qualify for that.

What do you all think?

wbm
01-18-2015, 06:49 PM
But don't you think that's a weird request?

No way would I even consider that request. Would most definitely consider that a "strange request" and would report it. To me it would be foolish not to report it.

wbm
01-18-2015, 06:55 PM
But don't you think that's a weird request?

Definitely! No way would I honor that request. Would consider that a very "strange request" and would report it. To me it would be foolish not to report it. Personally if I did sell it to him (I would not) I would send it in a USPS priority box with delivery confirmation.

LongRange
01-18-2015, 07:45 PM
that would make me want to back out of the sale foxx...make sure you wipe it down good before you ship it so your prints arent on it LMAO!!

foxx
01-18-2015, 07:48 PM
In financial services industry it's called a "Red Flag".

We are supposed to quietly report without tipping the person off. I will do so, but I am wondering who to call? "Ghost Busters"?

yobuck
01-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Well ebay should be notified of this. They can be a bit paranoid on things such as even (maybe) there might have (at one time) been nazi markings on an item.

Robinhood
01-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Atf

keeki
01-18-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't know what could be gained or lost by you putting that info in it or not putting the info in it. A barrel is not a controlled item and it can be shipped to anyone legally. But it's definitely weird

keeki
01-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Maybe he's a tree hugger and don't want you to waste paper.lol

foxx
01-18-2015, 08:36 PM
I don't know what could be gained or lost by you putting that info in it or not putting the info in it. A barrel is not a controlled item and it can be shipped to anyone legally. But it's definitely weird

Right. I am thinking, "What's the point?" And my name and address is on the package. If he is trying to hide something (other than the price, from his wife), I don't see what he's gaining with that request. It is what it is. Why be so mysterious?

Carvera
01-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Here is how I see it....

An individual entered into a legal contract with you. This person met your, and eBay's terms as far as being a buyer and presumably Paypal user. I see nothing gained by even mentioning the individual's name being "Middle Eastern". But if you, or others' opinions differ then by all means look the individual up. You could call local police, you could search arrest records, you could do a lot of things.

The individual made a "request". He would like you to do this and that. You obviously have a choice to make. However, a request is just that..... a request. You are not obligated to meet that "request". If you want to include "paper work", "a bill" "a business card" or a "packing list" along with the barrel that's your prerogative.

My opinion differs from others whom have posted. I see nothing wrong with the individual requesting, and I also see nothing wrong with you not meeting that request and shipping the barrel off like you would any legal item that can be sold on eBay, paid through Paypal, and shipped legally here in the U.S.

That's what I think.

clintsrv
01-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Have you asked the buyer to explain his "odd" request?

Carvera
01-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Why don't you ask him for his strange request's? Or don't sell to him. Myself don't trust Rag-Heads.

I will perceive you as being an American, living in the greatest country in the world. With that being said, you are entitled to your opinion.

D.ID
01-18-2015, 09:09 PM
What would you report? Guys being weird........
OK and?
Pack it up and ship it like you normally would and advise him of your intent to do so.
Back ground check for what? Even if he had a background.....so what?
If he fulfills his end of the bargain.......For sale+sold=$.
If you had an alarming reason for concern other than weird that would be one thing. Some folks are weird naturally, many of us even have weird names to.

foxx
01-18-2015, 10:25 PM
D.ID,
I see it both ways. I have every intention of sending it him. He bought it, and he isn't asking for anything unethical or illegal, I really don't have a legal reason not to. In fact, I am contractually obligated to do so. Just thinking it should be reported and let "authorities" decide if there is any need for concern or whatever.

I guess I am just careful b/c of my training in complying with the "Patriot Act."

Well, thanks, all for your input.

charb52
01-19-2015, 12:28 AM
maybe its a gift ad he doesnt want the person the see any of the info when they open it?

Twinsen
01-19-2015, 12:56 AM
It isn't a controlled item. I'd just do what he asks. There are lots of weirdos on the internet.

You think he's gonna use it to hijack an airliner? I bet he's gonna give it to somebody so they can put .224 holes into paper.

A felon could walk into a store and purchase a barrel.

maybe its a gift ad he doesnt want the person the see any of the info when they open it?

That was my guess.

Berger.Fan222
01-19-2015, 01:03 AM
Privacy regarding firearms should not suggest evil in the 21st century. It just suggests privacy.

D.ID
01-19-2015, 01:52 AM
I hear you fox but weird is nothing to be worried about.
"I guess I am just careful b/c of my training in complying with the "Patriot Act."................I would be the first to turn on anyone I believed had evil intent................but doing the devils work just makes you a devil.

limige
01-19-2015, 01:53 AM
Maybe he dont want his wife to know what he spent or that he was on ebay again??

Odd indeed.