PDA

View Full Version : Which 308 to pick?

Pages : [1] 2

SouthernWoodworking
01-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Hello guys! First post on here but, I am a long time reader. I was debating on if I should get a .308 and I think I am. Now the fun part, which one?

I dont want to spend over $600. I mainly just want a good long range shooter. I have researched and seen the Model 10 and 11 seem to be the best, but I cant seem to find any stores near me that have one. The Hog Hunter is well within my price range but Im having trouble getting accuracy reports. I want a gun that shoots at least 1 moa at 100 yards. For me, the cheaper the better.

Their is a person near me selling a Model 10 (non accutrigger) with a Medalist Varmint stock, Bipod, scope (SWFA 10x42 side focus) and is Duracoated and shimmed for $900. I already planed on getting a new scope so I could just sell the 10 power. What do yall think?

foxx
01-17-2015, 11:08 PM
HOG HUNTER, all the way. I get better than 1/2 in mine. It's the best Savage deal going for quite some time now. Traditional, top bolt release, nice matte/bead blasted fiish. Metal trigger guard. Awesome value. Awesome rifle.

Personally, I like some Accutriggers, but not everyone I've tried. Seems to be crap shoot.. So, without handling it, can't say how I might like any particular Accutrigger. I certainly like Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Triggers better, as well as Rifle Basix Sv-1 and Sav-2's

As for your friend's deal, well, the scope is easily worth $340 used. Not sure about everything else.

SouthernWoodworking
01-17-2015, 11:16 PM
HOG HUNTER, all the way. I get better than 1/2 in mine. It's the best Savage deal going for quite some time now. Traditional, top bolt release, nice matte/bead blasted fiish. Metal trigger guard. Awesome value. Awesome rifle.

Personally, I like some Accutriggers, but everyone I've tried. Seems to be crap shoot.. So, without handling it, can't say how I might like any particular Accutrigger. I also like Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Triggers better, as well as Rifle Basix Sv-1 and Sav-2's

As for your friend's deal, well, the scope is easily worth $340 used. Not sure about everything else.
Well, the scope is painted so that may knock down the price. I mean, if I sold the scope for $300, that means everything else is $600. IDK if that's worth it for a used gun. How much could I get a Hog Hunter used for?

Hotolds442
01-17-2015, 11:29 PM
If you can find a used one, I'd say anywhere between $350-500 depending on how proud the owners are of them. Bud's has them new for $423 with free shipping to your FFL.

foxx
01-17-2015, 11:37 PM
If you can find a used one, I'd say anywhere between $350-500 depending on how proud the owners are of them. Bud's has them new for $423 with free shipping to your FFL.

Yep. At that price why go used?

Never seen a used one for sale, either. What does that tell ya? :)

SouthernWoodworking
01-17-2015, 11:39 PM
Yep. At that price why go used?

Never seen a used one for sale, either. What does that tell ya? :)
Gotta be honest, for that price I feel like im 5 in Toys R Us.

Robinhood
01-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Get the serial number off that model 10 and look it up. Find out if the bipod is a Harris etc... Usually people put a BSA on the rifle they are selling and add 500 to the price for the scope.

Scope 350, Bipod 65 (If it is a Harris), Stock 150, rings XX, Total 565

Barreled Action 345 +or -

Might be a good deal if it has a low rd ct heavy barrel.

SouthernWoodworking
01-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Get the serial number off that model 10 and look it up. Find out if the bipod is a Harris etc... Usually people put a BSA on the rifle they are selling and add 500 to the price for the scope.

Scope 350, Bipod 65 (If it is a Harris), Stock 150, rings XX, Total 565

Barreled Action 345 +or -

Might be a good deal if it has a low rd ct heavy barrel.
Yea the bipod is a harris. Ill pm you the link.

How will accuracy vary better the hog hunter and lets say the Trophy hunter or the Model 10 Varmint or will it be the same?

Also, what are some good bases?

maxl
01-18-2015, 11:56 AM
I recently purchased the hog hunter in 308, it has a lot going for it
1. Price
2. Accurracy
3. Threaded barrel (if silencer is in your future)
4. Top bolt release
I would buy one again, its becoming my go to rig, some say the stock has too much flex for bi-pod use but I have not had any problems with mine. I paid 475.00 for mine here locally what's not to like, mine with 150g hornady sst will shoot bug holes hope this helps

Twostepct
01-18-2015, 12:22 PM
I'll throw out another option but, depending on how handy you are and gun prices in your area you may look at building one. I say this because I bought a 308 model 11 with factory DBM and found a good deal on a hog Hunter barrel on here. Now I have a 308 hog Hunter with a detachable magazine which is what I wanted. Yes, the barrel wrench is an additional expense but I also rebarreled an Axis with a 300 Blackout barrel and I also have a 223 hog Hunter that will likely get rebarreled. Point being, the tools allow me to work on and build my own rifles how I want them. Just a thought...

edited to add: the money it cost for me to be able to view the classifieds here is likely the best money I've ever spent on a Savage rifle.

SouthernWoodworking
01-18-2015, 02:40 PM
I'll throw out another option but, depending on how handy you are and gun prices in your area you may look at building one. I say this because I bought a 308 model 11 with factory DBM and found a good deal on a hog Hunter barrel on here. Now I have a 308 hog Hunter with a detachable magazine which is what I wanted. Yes, the barrel wrench is an additional expense but I also rebarreled an Axis with a 300 Blackout barrel and I also have a 223 hog Hunter that will likely get rebarreled. Point being, the tools allow me to work on and build my own rifles how I want them. Just a thought...

edited to add: the money it cost for me to be able to view the classifieds here is likely the best money I've ever spent on a Savage rifle.
I mean, i build stuff a lot and some gunsmithing. Im sure I could build one. How much could I save?

foxx
01-18-2015, 02:56 PM
How much you could save depends on what kind of deal you might get on a used action. Buying locally will save you shipping and FFL fees, though. Honestly, it's tough to beat the price of a Hog Hunter if you sell-off the barrel and other parts you might not want. Doing so could bring the cost of the action to about $325. When you consider the cost of shipping and the FFL, it is really hard to find a deal on Gunbroker for a used action/rifle that will beat the Hog Hunter route. On the other hand, sometimes you can get lucky and find a rifle/scope/stock combo that others don't recognize. For example, I recently bought a used 110 30-06 with an SWFA 20x scope on it. The seller did not specify what the scope was, apparently assumed it was worthless (most of them are) and I ended up getting it all for $420. After selling the wood stock, scope, and barrel, The action only cost me $110. and, the person who bought the scope got a really good deal, too. Same thing happened awhile back when I got a $200 Burris scope for virtually nothing. Just gotta keep looking. If you enjoy that sort of thing, it's great. It's like playing "American Pickers." :) If you don't have time or enough knowledge about what you find, it might back-fire. In that case, I think it's a safe bet going with the Hog Hunter and sell-ff what you don't want. Plenty of guys here and on e-bay will be happy to buy that barrel.

SouthernWoodworking
01-18-2015, 04:19 PM
How much you could save depends on what kind of deal you might get on a used action. Buying locally will save you shipping and FFL fees, though. Honestly, it's tough to beat the price of a Hog Hunter if you sell-off the barrel and other parts you might not want. Doing so could bring the cost of the action to about $325. When you consider the cost of shipping and the FFL, it is really hard to find a deal on Gunbroker for a used action/rifle that will beat the Hog Hunter route. On the other hand, sometimes you can get lucky and find a rifle/scope/stock combo that others don't recognize. For example, I recently bought a used 110 30-06 with an SWFA 20x scope on it. The seller did not specify what the scope was, apparently assumed it was worthless (most of them are) and I ended up getting it all for $420. After selling the wood stock, scope, and barrel, The action only cost me $110. and, the person who bought the scope got a really good deal, too. Same thing happened awhile back when I got a $200 Burris scope for virtually nothing. Just gotta keep looking. If you enjoy that sort of thing, it's great. It's like playing "American Pickers." :) If you don't have time or enough knowledge about what you find, it might back-fire. In that case, I think it's a safe bet going with the Hog Hunter and sell-ff what you don't want. Plenty of guys here and on e-bay will be happy to buy that barrel.
Yea, I think Im gonna go to my local FFL to order one. First time ordering a gun so I dont know what to do.

foxx
01-18-2015, 06:03 PM
It's easy. The Bud's site has instructions, too.

Basically, go ahead and buy it, then send them a scanned image of your FFL's paperwork or fax a copy of it to them. Your FFL will know what t do and will likely do it all for you. They will then ship to your FFL. In fact, they might already have your FFL on record. If they do, just tell them to send it to them. You can check when ordering.

SouthernWoodworking
01-18-2015, 06:05 PM
It's easy. The Bud's site has instructions, too.

Basically, go ahead and buy it, then send them a scanned image of your FFL's paperwork or fax a copy of it to them. Your FFL will know what t do and will likely do it all for you. They will then ship to your FFL. In fact, they might already have your FFL on record. If they do, just tell them to send it to them. You can check when ordering.
Well, my local FFL is a Preferred one. Its name is in green.

foxx
01-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Tere you go. Choose them. Call or email your FFL telling them what you ordered and from whom. Hopefully they will call you when it comes in. You might get an e-mail from Buds or the shipping company as well when shipped, etc. The FFL will charge $25 you or so when you pick it up.

SouthernWoodworking
01-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Tere you go. Choose them. Call or email your FFL telling them what you ordered and from whom. Hopefully they will call you when it comes in. You might get an e-mail from Buds or the shipping company as well when shipped, etc. The FFL will charge $25 you or so when you pick it up.
Yea, Im gonna call them tomorrow before I order. What scope bases should I get?

SouthernWoodworking
01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Well, shes on her way. So far, I love Buds gun shop

mikgarus
01-19-2015, 01:01 PM
can I install an Accustock I recently removed from a Mod 10 PH Max 1 on a Hog Hunter?

Twinsen
01-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Buds is good.

Scope bases have a few variables. If you want 1000 yards with 308, you need a 20 MOA or more declined base.

There are 1 piece and 2 piece. 1 piece weigh more.

And there's aluminum or steel.